+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5928Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We finally have our power back after 18 hours. Spent most of yesterday in the Cinc airport - flights cancelled, and cancelled my trip. Still over 150,000 without power in our area. We have at least 2 HUGE trees that split and broke into our back yard on top our fence. Lots and lots of cleanup in the area, some trees into houses, but not a lot of major damage. I'm staying off the roads - no power lights working in most of the area.

and my luggage made the trip, so have to wait a few days for that to find its way back.

I just got back from the doctor with some good/bad news. The good news is that I'm not in imminent risk of having a heart attack and my elevated blood pressure is in the expected aging curve and I'm ready for a new BP drug. The neck throbbing is a result of changing vitamins. He thinks too much niacin and I suspect the ginseng in it might be part of the problem. I've had ginseng/heart problems before (racing pulse) and didn't realize the new vitamin I was taking had it in it. The bad news is that he told me swimming didn't count as exercise because your body doesn't heat up enough to (burn?) lipids. Something about lipids. He said I can swim for pleasure but not to count it as part of my exercise quota. He also told me ginko biloba does not ward off memory problems so not to take that anymore. I'm bummed about the swimming.
    Count your blessings!

Aww Gut that's not good news that swimming isn't helping. I know how much you love to swim! I hope switching vitamins will help your heart.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Thanks - I'm bummed. He recommended an exercise bike and there's one for free at the recycling center - maybe I'll still do my swim/aerobis schedule and add exercise biking in the afternoon or something. I'll work it out. I'll still swim, though. You can't tell me it doesn't count for any exercise at all and it stretches out my scar tissue from all my surgeries.
    Count your blessings!

That's good that you're going to keep swimming. It's so wonderful for the spirit to be in a body of water.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I always thought swimming was good exercise. My doctor has told me because of my knees, that swimming is better than walking. That's interesting that it doesn't burn enough lipids. I'm sure it's very good for you in some ways. It has to be right?

I'm glad the bp thing is easily taken care of.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD - I know, huh? I had always heard it was the perfect exercise because it uses every muscle of the body and doesn't stress the joints. I know you need weight bearing exercise, too, for your bones. He said the fact that your body doesn't heat up (cooled by water) is what makes it "not count". Tell that to Michael Phelps, huh?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3198667;
    MRD - I know, huh? I had always heard it was the perfect exercise because it uses every muscle of the body and doesn't stress the joints. I know you need weight bearing exercise, too, for your bones. He said the fact that your body doesn't heat up (cooled by water) is what makes it "not count". Tell that to Michael Phelps, huh?
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking Gut.

during the Olympics they said Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day. So swimming must burn SOMETHING or he'd weigh 500 pounds instead of having that nice sleek and sexy bod he has.

Well I still maintain that swimming can't be BAD for you. But apparantly it's not a total workout, so maybe adding the bike will make it more total.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

RE: Swimming and Weight Loss - Found this info.

The other drawback of swimming that researchers have discovered is that, while swimming is great for overall fitness, it is not a very effective tool for weight loss. The reasons for this are not entirely understood. Here are some theories:

* Because water cools the body so much, it is thought that the bodies of swimmers might aim to maintain a layer of fat under the skin for insulation.
    * Some researchers believe that being surrounded by cold water for a period of time may increase the appetite, causing swimmers to eat more once they get out of the water.
    * Another theory states that people who are successful swimmers may also be genetically disposed to having a higher body fat content, since this leads to increased buoyancy and a rounder shape will offer less resistance in the water.
    * Swimming fast requires a high output of energy, which burns glycogen instead of fat. Prolonged exercise at a lower intensity is better for fat burning.
    * It is believed that the body's metabolism increases at higher body temperatures. Since the body is cooled while swimming, this could reduce the metabolism and the subsequent amount of food energy burnt by the swimmer.

So I'm hearing that swimming is good for fitness, but not for weight loss. I did a little web search, too and found pretty much the same thing. Well, that's certainly good to know! Now maybe I can make some real progress in weight loss armed with this information. queenb and proshay - do you think my twice daily neti pot (saline solution) could be contributing to my high blood pressure? I don't ingest it, but am I absorbing it through my sinuses?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread