+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5817Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Well Missouri was hit pretty hard by Ike's remains last night.. it really rained! And quite windy too, it still is actually. We lost power for over an hour, but we have it back.

I can just imagine how bad it was down in Texas. The pictures I have seen of the damage are pretty shocking. Good luck again!

And that is really sad about the train crash... scary stuff for sure. I agree with schmoo2, it really is a bad weekend.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3197642;
    I just heard on MSNBC that the death toll is now up to 24. Apparently one of the engineers ignored a light, so they (the investigators) are leaning toward human error as a primary factor.
    What I heard this morning was that they think he was text-messaging and didn't see a signal light. Apparantly a friend of his received a text message from him just a minute or two before the crash happened.

Text messaging, while extremely popular is also extremely dangerous. I know one woman who routinely does it while driving. Her excuse? "My car has a sensor that warns me if I am too close to an object." I've been with her on the interstate when she was driving 65 mpg and texting. How good is that sensor going to be when you are going that fast and don't have the reaction time to correct when you get too close to another car, etc.?

It's going to be really terrible, if this is indeed the case that caused that horrible crash in California. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

And also to all dealing with Ike and it's aftermath.

I STILL cannot believe the people that they have interviewed that stayed and then had to be rescued from rooftops. The rescue calls were overwhelming the rescue capabilities. There's a reason for evacuations and in the last few years, we've seen just why they give evacuation orders. I would rather lose everything and know that my family was safe, than to stay and risk losing my life or risking the life of my family.
    Storms are unpredictible. They can strenghten, weaken, change course, spawn deadly tornados. I'd rather just get out of the way and not have to worry about "fate".

Still I hope that all Ike's victims are soon safe and back in their homes where possible and that they get the help they need.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197939;
    Text messaging, while extremely popular is also extremely dangerous. I know one woman who routinely does it while driving. Her excuse? "My car has a sensor that warns me if I am too close to an object." I've been with her on the interstate when she was driving 65 mpg and texting. How good is that sensor going to be when you are going that fast and don't have the reaction time to correct when you get too close to another car, etc.?
    No offense to your friend, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hope she get pulled over and given a ticket before she kills someone.

I STILL cannot believe the people that they have interviewed that stayed and then had to be rescued from rooftops. The rescue calls were overwhelming the rescue capabilities. There's a reason for evacuations and in the last few years, we've seen just why they give evacuation orders. I would rather lose everything and know that my family was safe, than to stay and risk losing my life or risking the life of my family.
    Storms are unpredictible. They can strenghten, weaken, change course, spawn deadly tornados. I'd rather just get out of the way and not have to worry about "fate".
    I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that they told people in the Houston area not to evacuate. The last mass evacuation in that area was horrible traffic jam nightmare.

I'm saddened by the amount of people who chose not to evacuate. I hope everyone is rescued and gets to a safe place soon.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3198032;
    No offense to your friend, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hope she get pulled over and given a ticket before she kills someone.

Um, yeah, this is extremely stupid and dangerous and I am willing to bet she isn't the only one that does this.
    I'm just glad I dont' have to ride with her anymore. I told her to put the thing away or let me drive. Number one it's dangerous, number two, it makes me feel like I'm not wanted as she wouldn't talk to ME who was right there while she texted someone else.

And don't worry, no offense taken because I think she's an idiot for doing this. I was extremely upset about this. AND she does it with her kids in the car too. And how many of someone else's family is she going to wipe out as she texts. I'm sorry, but I think texting while driving is just as bad as drunk driving. You are NOT paying attention to the road and by the time something happens, you are not going to be able to do anything about it.
    It's not only stupid, but irresponsible and dangerous. My feeling is that if you want to put yourself at risk, fine. But don't risk other's lives by doing something like this. And by texting and driving, you put every other car on the road at risk and the people in your own vehicle who have no choice in the matter. (kids mostly)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3198032;
    I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that they told people in the Houston area not to evacuate. The last mass evacuation in that area was horrible traffic jam nightmare.
    The people in the city of Houston were told not to evacuate, due to the sturdier buildings, availability of stuff to stock up on ahead of time, and the anticipation of traffic jams that would be more dangerous than staying in a decently reinforced house in a relatively good location. However, the people in low-lying areas and those in Galvaston and Galvaston Island were told WELL ahead of time to evacuate -- and if they were stupid and irresponsible enough to stay anyway, don't expect to a rescue worker to risk his/her life to run out to get you; it would be a minimum 72-hour wait.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We're getting the wind here in Columbus now. There are trees down, power out and wind damage all over town. There are a couple of big pine trees down here in my complex. My parking spot is under a tree but I parked down the street in an office complex. Middle of the lot, no trees or poles around.

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT THIS
    EVENING...

THE REMNANTS OF HURRICANE IKE WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE FROM
    NORTHWEST OHIO INTO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES THIS EVENING. VERY
    GUSTY WINDS TO THE SOUTH OF THIS SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE THIS
    EVENING. GUSTS BETWEEN 55 AND 70 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH 9
    PM.

SEVERAL HOURS OF WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 55 MPH WILL RESULT IN
    WIDESPREAD DAMAGE TO TREES AND STRUCTURES ACROSS CENTRAL AND
    SOUTHERN OHIO THIS EVENING. MOTORISTS SHOULD AVOID ALL
    UNNECESSARY TRAVEL...AS DEBRIS AND DOWNED POWER LINES WILL LEAVE
    MANY ROADS UNSAFE OR IMPASSIBLE. IN ADDITION...FALLING TREE LIMBS
    ARE CREATING A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION...AND RESIDENTS ARE URGED
    TO STAY INDOORS.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED
    OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS
    OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE.

Here in Kansas, that would be considered a gentle breeze.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Unk, hope everything is well and your car and you and your family are safe.

I'm glad I moved my car as a tree limb blew off the tree I usually park under. Other than that, no problems.

+ Reply to Thread