+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5780Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Been hearing bad things about Galveston. I hope Chrelsey and her family and daughter made it through ok.

Things sound bad, really bad. My heart goes out to everyone there. The aftermath can be harder than the actual storm. Dealing with damage, power outages, food and water shortages, looters, insurance companies, contractors is a long drawn out and stressful process. The storm itself is over in a few hours, but as we've seen, the aftermath can last years.

And that poor resturant manager and his daughter that were burned so badly in Houston just breaks my heart.

And honestly, I can say that what you see on TV may look bad, but the reality looks SO much worse. I can remember seeing first hand the damage from Charley and then seeing it on tv and thinking, that doesn't even BEGIN to capture it.

Those of you outside of the area, donate to the Red Cross, donate to the Salvation Army, donate blood, food, money, baby items and hygiene items.

One thing that we learned is that everyone loves to donate baby items, but what is often forgotten is hygiene items for women especially. Those items were especially in short supply during the Katrina crisis. So if you can, send tampons and things like that as well. I realize this can be a subject no one wants to read about, but for women, it's often a very overlooked item that is desperately needed in times of crisis like hurricanes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Seeing the news this morning made me fearful for all our FoRT buddies-stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197414;
    . . . but what is often forgotten is hygiene items for women especially. Those items were especially in short supply during the Katrina crisis. So if you can, send tampons and things like that as well. I realize this can be a subject no one wants to read about, but for women, it's often a very overlooked item that is desperately needed in times of crisis like hurricanes.
    Especially since stressful situations tend to throw women's body calendars out of whack, and they end up needing tampons, etc., during the weeks that should have been "all clear."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3197136;
    Pasilla is another kind of chili pepper. It's not nearly as hot as cayenne, just a notch below jalapeņo on the Scoville scale, but it adds a nice bit of depth to the dark chocolate with cayenne. (Add a touch of cinnamon, and/or a bit of freshly ground nutmeg -- chocolate spice heaven!)

Oh -- and those of you with access to Trader Joe's: try the dark chocolate covered chili-spiced dried mangoes (with a full-bodied red wine) -- it's a new item, and it's awesome. You can find it on the shelves with the other chocolate stuff.

mmm, sounds delicious.

I'm hoping and praying for all the people caught in Ike's path. This sure has been a busy hurricane season.

We had a major train crash yesterday evening during the commute home for many workers. A commuter train collided with a freight train head on. So far 18 people have died and much more than that are seriously injured. My prayers go out to all who lost a family member and those who are injured. The trains were on the same track. They still don't know how that was allowed to happen.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I was reading about that. How awful. I hope everyone else got out okay.
    This is NOT a good weekend at all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3197535;
    We had a major train crash yesterday evening during the commute home for many workers. A commuter train collided with a freight train head on. So far 18 people have died and much more than that are seriously injured. My prayers go out to all who lost a family member and those who are injured. The trains were on the same track. They still don't know how that was allowed to happen.
    That was unbelievable! The story behind it ought to be a doozy. Did they say how fast they were going? Totally unreal.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

They haven't given too many specifics yet. I'm sure they are trying to investigate thoroughly before releasing information about why they didn't even slow down.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just heard on MSNBC that the death toll is now up to 24. Apparently one of the engineers ignored a light, so they (the investigators) are leaning toward human error as a primary factor.

I just read that too. How sad. Apparently it was a contracted driver, not someone who works for Metrolink specifically. Really sad. Over 135 are in the hospital.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread