+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;3196775;
    I'm dealing with Ike. I knew when Jim Cantore showed up 10 miles from us two days ago that we were in trouble! I live 10 miles from Galveston Island, and since we live on a bayou, we were put into a mandatory evacuation yesterday morning. We just left about an hour ago . . . after boarding up the house, moving everything that we could upstairs, getting the car packed up, etc. The problem is, where we evacuated to - Mr. C's brother's house - is only about 15 miles up the road, and he is in a mandatory evacuation zone as well! But, he is further from the water and less likely to flood than we are, and they were going to stay and "shelter in place" as it was, so we decided there was strength in numbers!

Any and all prayers/good thoughts etc. would be appreciated - I think it's gonna be a wild ride tonight!
    Oh Chrelsey, I hope you guys will be ok. The storm surge predictions sound terrible. Please, please be careful.

Yep, you know when Jim Cantore shows up, it's trouble. There was a joke going around about that in Florida back in 2004, that if you spotted Jim in your backyard, to get the hell out!

Please be safe and know you and your fellow Texans are in our thoughts and prayers.

Boy, I could use wine, beer AND margaritas about now. Had a stressful day and am dealing with a problem friend at the moment that I don't need to deal with due to other stresses. I'm in my jammies and dinner is in the crockpot and I'm eating and going to BED. Have another big stressful day tomorrow too.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-12-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3197016;
    Wine here, too -- a 2000 petite syrah (for a steal at Trader Joe's) and dark chocolate infused with pasilla and cayenne from Chuao (not such a steal, but worth it!).

I love cayenne mixed with my chocolate, but what is pasilla?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3197053;
    Ever had hot chocolate with cayenne in it? DIVINE
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3197053;
    Pasilla is another kind of chili pepper. It's not nearly as hot as cayenne, just a notch below jalapeño on the Scoville scale, but it adds a nice bit of depth to the dark chocolate with cayenne. (Add a touch of cinnamon, and/or a bit of freshly ground nutmeg -- chocolate spice heaven!)

Oh -- and those of you with access to Trader Joe's: try the dark chocolate covered chili-spiced dried mangoes (with a full-bodied red wine) -- it's a new item, and it's awesome. You can find it on the shelves with the other chocolate stuff.
    Last edited by Ellen; 09-12-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ike update! The winds are howling outside and gusting pretty strong . . . and we're only getting the tropical storm/gale force winds right now - the hurricane-force winds will come in a couple of hours. We feel very fortunate to still have power - my daughter, who is 19, insisted on staying in her apartment only two miles from our house - where we evacuated from - and she lost power several hours ago. Mr. C's sister who is northwest of us lost power within the past hour. We, on the other hand, are still able to keep on top of the storm with the local news and The Weather Channel, and I am VERY glad. I hate the idea of being in the dark (literally) and not knowing what is going on.

To be honest, I am really upset with my daughter for not coming with us . . . but she is 19, an adult, and has to make her own decisions, but it is KILLING me to know that she is sitting in the dark, by herself, listening to the storm outside. I guess no matter how old my kids get, I will never get over the urge to protect and take care of them. I just want her to be safe.

Anyway - just wanted to send this while I could. Thanks again for all of your thoughts, prayers, etc.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Take care chrelsey! I am near Austin so it's still a few hours away from us here.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Keep safe, cherlsey & burntbrat. We've had the outer band winds from Ike all day and since I just got power back Tuesday and cable/internet tonight (like moments ago) from Gustav, I, to borrow from Slick Willy, feel your pain. I hope these winds die down soon, or I'm going back in the dark and I don't think I can deal with another week-plus without power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3197016;
    Wine here, too -- a 2000 petite syrah
    A new restaurant opened in our area called Petite Syrah and I had no clue what it meant...thanks for clearing that up

I see that some of you who are in Ike's path are online right now which is a good sign. Stay safe everyone!
    CYA

Prayers and thoughts are with you, chrelsey! I hope you are safely able to return back home as soon as possible. Take care.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Good luck to all Texans! I am glued to The Weather Channel (hurricanes fascinate me), and it looks bad there.

+ Reply to Thread