+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7280Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

That reminds me of a game I remember playing as a grade schooler called "Rock School". It was done with my peers and it consisted of having to pick which hand the rock is in. Good idea for multiplication tables, though!

The nuns taught me, too. And you had to learn them .... or else your parents were going to be brought into the whole thing........and NOBODY wanted a nun calling their house......EVER!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3186306;
    That reminds me of a game I remember playing as a grade schooler called "Rock School". It was done with my peers and it consisted of having to pick which hand the rock is in. Good idea for multiplication tables, though!

The nuns taught me, too. And you had to learn them .... or else your parents were going to be brought into the whole thing........and NOBODY wanted a nun calling their house......EVER!!!
    EXACTLY!!!!!

And besides the way they drilled those things into us I was convinced that before being nuns they had been Marine corp drill sgts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We had to learn all of our math without calculators, too, and show all of our work so that the teachers/professors knew we knew what we were doing, but after you mastered something you could use your calculator after that.

As for kids getting dumber, I don't know. I went to the same school district as my daughter goes to now. When I was there, the schools were considered to be very good - nationally recognized - but we didn't get much homework, never got homework over summer break, etc. It wasn't anything really difficult.

The schools (all public) in this district are still nationally recognized - I don't know if they are better or worse nationally than they were when I went - probably the same - but I cannot believe how hard they work the students! My daughter gets tons of homework to do over summer break, and has so much homework during the school year that many nights a week she is up past midnight. Finals week last year we were *both* pulling all nighters studying for her exams. The other parents in her class say that the same thing is going on with their kids, too. I think it's crazy!

I was all excited for labor day weekend and thought it would be fun to just spend time together, etc. but my daughter spent the entire weekend reading for her biology class and doing homework assignments for another class.

How is it in your neck of the woods? Is it this bad?!?!?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm working with a 3rd grade student with ADHD who comes to the center, seeks me out, and slams down a stack of books about 6 inches high and says, "Can you help me?", not counting the journaling and reading time that he has to do. I only see him Tues.-Thurs. and we never get finished with his homework. Somedays, his meds are wearing off by the time I see him, and sometimes he's still focused, or at least partially focused, anyway. For a 3rd grader, I think it's a lot, but he does ask for help and even skips his snack, usually.

I think this kid has more homework than any of the other students at the center. I think they could stand to be worked a bit harder, but they don't have the work ethic that it sounds like your daughter has. Over all, kids can be very lazy when it comes to their school work (obviously, not your daughter), and will do anything to sidestep it.

Many, many of our kids are very, very soft. which is why so many of them are not on par with kids from other countries....and we're supposed to be the powerhouse country? Not academically, I fear.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My son has a horrible habit of picking and choosing which homework assignments he wants to do. He's 16 for crying out loud! I tell him if I have to look up every assignment, stand over you while you do them and check your work, you will never be prepared for the working world! It frustrates the crap out of me!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3186476;
    I'm working with a 3rd grade student with ADHD who comes to the center, seeks me out, and slams down a stack of books about 6 inches high and says, "Can you help me?", not counting the journaling and reading time that he has to do. I only see him Tues.-Thurs. and we never get finished with his homework. Somedays, his meds are wearing off by the time I see him, and sometimes he's still focused, or at least partially focused, anyway. For a 3rd grader, I think it's a lot, but he does ask for help and even skips his snack, usually.

I think this kid has more homework than any of the other students at the center. I think they could stand to be worked a bit harder, but they don't have the work ethic that it sounds like your daughter has. Over all, kids can be very lazy when it comes to their school work (obviously, not your daughter), and will do anything to sidestep it.

Many, many of our kids are very, very soft. which is why so many of them are not on par with kids from other countries....and we're supposed to be the powerhouse country? Not academically, I fear.
    Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why the 3rd grader has more homework than all of the others? Different school? Or does the ADHD get in the way when he's at school?

My daughter just started 11th grade today. She is a hard worker, I'll give her that. She got a bit of the anxious personality from me, and this is one of the instances that it can be a motivator. She worries about getting into a good college and her friends all do very well so she works hard to keep up with her peers.

This semester she has 3 AP courses. But they seem much more difficult than an actual college class. For example, none of my college courses gave us homework prior to class starting. And last year she had an 'enriched' chemistry course which, in one semester, covered as much chemistry as I took in 2 full years of college chemistry (1 year of general chem and 1 year of organic chem). I'm glad she's doing well and is motivated, but I think it's waaay too much work for these kids. I'm sad that school has started up again because when school is going on I hardly see the girl - too much work! I miss her! :-(

My oldest son is going to turn 18 on Thursday. He's been dateing a girl for the last year but she is only 15. Does anyone know what the law is about things like that? Are they allowed to date but no sex? or is he not even allowed to see her anymore? I am 99% sure they are not sexually active but her family is white trash and are just the type to want to cause controversy. I am really worried about this and have been telling my son for months now not to get serious with this girl because she's going to be off limits when he turns 18 but he just won't listen to me. He's "in love".
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

The age of consent laws vary from state to state, but he would be wise not to have any kind of sex with her.

Personally if her family is "white trash" who likes controversy. I would run far and fast. Tell your son that he could end up on a sexual offender list for the rest of his life even if he doesn't have sex with her and they say he does...

Check the laws for your state, Cant. And let your son know that if he does have any relations with her, it's statutory rape and he will go to jail. Plus he'll show up on those sexual offender websites (you know, the ones where you can search your neighborhood). Who wants that stigma attached to them for love when it can wait a few years?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread