+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5818Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Sounds like we all did cashier work at one time or another....without benefit of computers! Amazing!! The children of today, at least in the public school system where I live, are forbidden to use calculators until high school. But they do give them a chart (cheat sheet) in their school agenda that has the multiplication tables on it.....and they still can't do it!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3185826;
    Sounds like we all did cashier work at one time or another....without benefit of computers! Amazing!! The children of today, at least in the public school system where I live, are forbidden to use calculators until high school. But they do give them a chart (cheat sheet) in their school agenda that has the multiplication tables on it.....and they still can't do it!!
    And that is when we started getting our change back uncounted and coins piled on the bills -- arrrgh.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

cashiers love me ... i just swipe my debit card and all they have to do is hand me my receipt.

...But they do give them a chart (cheat sheet) in their school agenda that has the multiplication tables on it.....and they still can't do it!!
    i remember those multiplication tables ... but we had to memorize them and we had a test every friday.

I went to a fundamentalist school. We weren't allowed to multiply until we were married.

~waits for groans to subside~

The children of today, at least in the public school system where I live, are forbidden to use calculators until high school.
    God bless your school system, prhoshay! Calculators and computers are killing rational thinking skills. Aside from the day-to-day benefits of learning math (as opposed to learning a key sequence on a calculator), it also forces one to think logically and systematically.

I've been dependent on calculators since late high school. I used to extract square roots (to three significant digits) in my head; now days it is very hard for me to do addition (beyond single digits) in my head.

All is not lost, though. There are some work-related approximations that I can make faster than most students can find the On button on their calculators.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3185722;
    Your bill was 7.81, you give me $10.00, I count back to you 4 pennies, 1 nickel, 1 dime and 2 singles as this:

Your total was 7.81 here's your change 82,83,84,85, 90, $8.00, $9.00, $10.00
    This was how I used to count change also; now if they count it to you at all, they say, "one, two, and 19 cents"
    I never used a calculator at all in school-- in fact, you hardly saw one anywhere even when I was in college--God I'm dating myself! I don't even own one now, but do most math I need in my head and rearely, on a piece of paper. On second thought, advaced math might be a wee bit easier for me if I do end up going to school again.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3185914;
    This was how I used to count change also; now if they count it to you at all, they say, "one, two, and 19 cents"
    I never used a calculator at all in school-- in fact, you hardly saw one anywhere even when I was in college--God I'm dating myself! I don't even own one now, but do most math I need in my head and rearely, on a piece of paper. On second thought, advaced math might be a wee bit easier for me if I do end up going to school again.
    I'm right there with you. I remember using a calculator in school to make it spell "Shell" or something in numbers looking like letters if you put it upside down to read it.

I still have to occasionally make change for people and I count it back to them and some are actually amazed that I do it. Says something doesn't it.
    AND if I am given change and it's NOT counted back to me, I stand there and count it myself to make sure it's right. Pisses people off, but I want to make sure I get the correct change back.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3185914;
    That's how I did it too. Mainly because of my dad. He was a manager at 7-11 and his biggest complaint about his employees was that they couldn't figure out how to count back change without the register.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

My mother used to make me sit on the stairs before dinner. She would ask me "what is 7 times 8?" and if I got it right, I got to go down a stair. Wrong answer would result in going up a stair. LOL - she did this for the entire time that she was cooking dinner and I learned those multiplication tables FAST because I didn't get to eat until I got enough right to get to the bottom of the stairs.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3186208;
    My mother used to make me sit on the stairs before dinner. She would ask me "what is 7 times 8?" and if I got it right, I got to go down a stair. Wrong answer would result in going up a stair. LOL - she did this for the entire time that she was cooking dinner and I learned those multiplication tables FAST because I didn't get to eat until I got enough right to get to the bottom of the stairs.
    Nuns taught me. Enough said there!

But Doxie, that's really neat. I like that idea.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Doxie-I wish I'd thought of that! What a wonderful way to teach and take up time and save your furniture (my boys were rambunctious!)

+ Reply to Thread