+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7150Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My first job in 1985 paid $3.15/hr and I was happy to have it! Laying out $20 for something was a big deal back then, now $20 is nothing.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3184559;
    My first job in 1985 paid $3.15/hr and I was happy to have it! Laying out $20 for something was a big deal back then, now $20 is nothing.
    Ain't that the truth. I remember when having a 20 dollar bill was something. Now to get that same feeling, it has to be a $100 bill.

In 1985, I was single and me and my roommate used to go to clubs every Sat. night. I could take $20-25 and have a NIGHT of it. Eat and drink and sometimes still have a couple bucks left over. That same night out today would be a whopper! (Of course, we had a favorite club that had 25 cent drinks on Wed. night. They were NASTY bar brand liquor, but still the drinks were 25 cents! You could have a hell of a hangover for under $5!! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Even a hundred dollar bill isn't that much. You can easily spend that just in gas now. It's really sad. When I was first working I made 4.15 an hour and when I received a check for a few hundred dollars I thought I was so rich!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I remember when we were going on vacation from Florida to NC one year. I think I was around the 10-12 age bracket. We were getting ready to leave and my dad had gone to the bank. He came home with 4 $100 bills and showed them to me and I gasped. I thought it was a TON of money. I had never seen one $100 bill before, let alone FOUR. This would have been in 1972-72 when gas was around 50 cents a gallon or less and you could stay at the Holiday Inn for about $20 a night.
    I'm sure that MOST of our weeks vacation was paid for with that $400.

And I can remember buying the same groceries a couple years ago that I just bought and it ran me about $75 and this weekend was about $125.

When I was first married in 1989 our grocery budget was $50 a week and we ate pretty darn GOOD!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3184465;
    I made 50 cents an hour babysitting. That was in the early '70s and I was in high demand so able to charge those high fees.
    LOL for some reason your comment caught me. Did you start charging a dollar at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I can't remember what my first job paid, but I can remember the first time I broke $1000 a month. Boy did I feel RICH!!! Seriously. I thought it meant, I was in the big leagues.
    I'd hurt someone for that amount right now. Hell, i'd feel rich too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Laying out $20 for something was a big deal back then, now $20 is nothing.
    Actually, for me, it'd buy a cheap movie on super tuesdays and in general during matinee.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3175282;
    When my son was younger, he'd come up to me while I was doing something that was perfectly obvious (like washing the blinds) by just looking and he'd say "What are you doing?" I'd just look at him, incredulously, for several seconds and then I'd say, "Grocery shopping!" or "Picking flowers in the garden." Of course, in my mind I'm thinking, "Stoopid!" He'd have to laugh because he knew what he'd just asked was totally idiotic!
    my son, when we talked on the phone and i'd ask him "whatcha doin?", he'd respond with "talkin' to you!"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3176421;
    I used to wish that I'd carried a telephone book in my car before I got my cell. In addition to MamaC's great suggestions, I also have my favoritely frequented grocery stores, drug stores, Sam's Clubs, my favorite health food store, my son's close friends, my stylist,......the list goes on and on. If I'm on my way out to someplace I've never been before, I stick their number in my phone, just in case I need it or get lost. I really hate the stupid things, but they are really handy.
    have you ever heard of google mobile? iif you need the phone number of ANYTHING in your area, just send a text message to 466453 with your zip code and one or two words of what you're looking for. like if i did one for "49015 movie" it sends me back a list of movie theaters in my area. if you did "pizza" it would send you a list of pizza places. gives you address and phone numbers. you can even send "forecast" with your zip code and it will tell you the current temp and the forecast for the next 2-3 days.

it's awesome ... and FREE ... except for any charges for text messages, obviously. i have unlimited texts

so put google mobie into the address book on your phone. you might be surprised how often you use it.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 08-31-2008 at 06:32 PM.

First off.... let's try to find the logic in this transaction I made today at work:

a lady came in and said, "I'd like $8.50 on pump 2, please." And she procedes to hand me $23

i looked at it, looked at her, and said, "$8.50, out of $23?"

her: "Yep!"

me: "....Ok....." *hands her her change of $14.50 back*

Also, I accidently saw Babylon AD. Long story short, ticket tearers need to be clearer with directions on where which theater is.

Anyways, back to the movie that wasted an hour and a half of my life. I WANT THAT HOUR AND A HALF BACK, VIN DEISEL!

The only redeaming factors of this movie were that it had some awesome explosions, some nifty CG effects, and Vin Diesel with no shirt on in one scene.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Errrrrrrrrrrr, i'm going to see it later today....
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

My very first job was a part-time job I got in my senior year of high school. I worked at a local newspaper taking classified ads and death notices over the phone. I worked Sun. night from 6pm-8pm, Mon thru Fri 5pm-8pm and Sat. mornings from 8am-1pm....seven days a week, even on holidays! 365 days per year. Ugh. For that pleasure I grossed $40 and netted $32.30. That comes out to something like $1.81 an hour! Of that $32.30, I put $25 in the bank and still had money left over to fill up my gas tank and go out to the bars on Friday and Saturday nights! LOL

When I graduated from college, my first job grossed $135 a week, which meant I made a whopping $3.38 an hour.

+ Reply to Thread