+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6265Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3183215;
    How is someone expected to live on $7.15 an hour?
    Very poorly.

One hour's worth of minimum wage buys less than 2 gallons of gas after taxes, that's pretty crazy.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3183598;
    I can't understand that either. By my calculations people even have ahard time living on $10.00 per hour but it would be a more "livable" starting wage for anything.
    Exactly! I'm so pissed that i have no other offers. I'd have to work full time(9hrs) just to make 'something'.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3183710;
    One hour's worth of minimum wage buys less than 2 gallons of gas after taxes, that's pretty crazy.
    Damn. I remember when I started working, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. At least that bought 4-5 gallons of gas back then.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

My first job, in 1977, paid $2.40/hour, which was a nickel over minimum wage.

I had a brush with death this week--I told my sister that her new grandson, like all babies, looks like Winston Churchhill. The generalized observation has been made by many people besides me, but try telling her that!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

My first job in 1975 paid me $2.50 an hour because I was a "Supervisor", otherwise it would have been $2.20 an hour and my standard of living was probably on par what it is today, that is what inflation has done.

How did y'all get such high paying jobs to start? I started my first job working for my cousin at a gas station making $50 a week for a 68 hour work week. After a couple of weeks he started paying me $1 per hour. This was in '67, the summer before my senior year of high school. In Sept '68 my next job paid me $1.25 per hour. Yep, movin' on up baby.

I think my first jobs (that weren't babysitting) in 1976 paid $2.35 per hour. The first was as a maid at Mini Price Motor Inn (yes, it was as bad as you think) in summer; then when I started college I worked in the UWM library. The following school year, though, I got a job as a tutor with the university's Learning Skills Department -- that one was a whopping $3.00 per hour! (the highest that they paid student employees at the time) But at that time, it was enough to pay rent for half of a fairly good-sized two-bedroom apartment (not far from where Gabriel lives) and all my other expenses, including tuition and books.

Then during second semester of that year, I was offered a job as a paraprofessional aide at the German /French Immersion School and made a whopping $7.50 per hour with medical and dental insurance. It felt like big bucks then! Times have sure as hell changed!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I can't remember what my first job paid, but I can remember the first time I broke $1000 a month. Boy did I feel RICH!!! Seriously. I thought it meant, I was in the big leagues. This was over 20 years ago and I thought I had really made it when I hit that $1000 a month mark in my income. Of course, my expenses took over half that amount per month, but still, it was a significant mark for me. Now I think about how I felt and how much everything costs today and it's just funny that I was so impressed with that amount.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I made 50 cents an hour babysitting. That was in the early '70s and I was in high demand so able to charge those high fees.
    Count your blessings!

When I started babysitting, I was making great money! I started at about 5 bucks an hour and it kept going up from there. I think it was because I was in such high demand.

+ Reply to Thread