+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6190Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I too will sit and read an entire book. I tend to put off everything else and finish it. I love to walk around the office with my nose in a book but sometimes that can be dangerous if you don't watch where you are going!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've had time to read, so I started reading again for pleasure and it's amazing how much more enjoyable reading has become. I've even enjoyed reading my textbook for my online class. Who knew sensation and perception would be so interesting? I guess that's what boredom does to a person!

I agree that textbook/education reading ruins the joy of reading. I used to love to read as a young child/adolescent. But as the demands of school got to be higher, the reading for pleasure stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3165378;
    burntbrat - I'm like you - once I start, everything else has to wait.
    I need advice here. I'm planning to have my first ever yard sale this weekend. I need to start unloading STUFF. I moved a huge load of stuff from the attic to the porch yesterday and kept telling myself that I can always have another one in a few weeks because there is so much stuff. Questions - is it worth it to advertise? How much do I need in ones and quarters? Do I need bags? Do I actually have to price each individual thing or can I have a table of $1 items, 50 cent items, etc. Do more expensive items sell? My main objective is to get rid of stuff, but I wouldn't mind making a little money, too. Anything else I've forgotten to ask? Can I sell coffee and brownies?
    They sell little round stickers with prices on them for people who are having yard sales. I'd pick up a package and use it to price some of your stuff. The little odds and ends and clothes I think you can group together and just put a sign on the box or table that says the price. I've found that the more expensive items always sell. But people will want to haggle with you so don't price the stuff so low that it leaves you no haggling room. People appreciate the bags if you've got them. So if you have a bunch of plastic bags from the grocery store, I'd offer them to people who buy lots of stuff. And I would have at least one roll of quarters and one stack of ones. More ones if you don't have a lot of big items. The last neighborhood yard sale we had, my neighbor sold sausage on a stick for $1 each and those sold like crazy. She made tons of money on food alone. So I'd say yes to coffee and brownies!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

burntbrat - I found those pre-printed stickers!! Thanks so much. I wouldn't have known to look for them. I got a 2-day ad in the paper, but not one of the more expensive box ads. I'll put a big sign out front and hope for the best. I have my attic all sorted out now and everything dragged down to my front porch. Now I have to go out to the barn and pull things to the front. It is loaded and I don't have any hope of going through it all before Sat., but I can have another one labor day weekend if I want.
    Count your blessings!

Guttermutter I have been to yard sales where they are selling canned sodas out of the ice chest. That was convienient. My boss was great at selling at yard sales. She never marked anything and when people asked how much something was she'd name a price. She'd make about $1600 in a two day yard sale.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

MRD

Gut, you might think about putting up signs at the end of your street and maybe some at some close by major intersections with the address. Good luck with the sale.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Gutmutter - I'm not sure if you have kids but the food sells better with a small child selling it. I know, it's a bit sneaky but people love to buy from kids. My kids used to set up a lemonade stand down at the corner and now that they are teenagers, they look for ways to make a buck. One day they asked me if they could set up a stand, I laughed and said I doubt anyone would buy lemonade from teenagers, but who knows?

I'm a constant reader too. I always have a book with me and I've done a lot of reading while sitting in the car waiting for Mr. Doxie to get through prowling around Best Buy. I do like to finish one book before I start another one. I also re-read "favorites" over and over again. I have most of my books from when I was a kid and then a teenager and I still get those out and read them occasionally.

Gutmutter - good luck with your yard sale. If there are any charities in your area that pick up, you might consider scheduling them to come by after your yard sale and take away the unsold stuff. Then you won't have to deal with hauling it back into the house!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3164623;
    Never. Not even to go to the variety store. I mean, what if some sort of robbery took place while I was there and I had to sit and wait for the cops? How would I fill my time.
    You could always read the snack packages (I know that's an old post, but 've been out of town and missed an smarty-pants op) Seriously, I'm such a read a holic that I actually will read advertisements, boxes, etc if nothing else is around. I think it's because my parents read to use even when we were barely toddling, and not just easy books either,. I remember, when I was about four, my Mom read us one chapter of the Wizard of OZ (the original version) every night, and we could not wait to see what happened next. So much for "big" books being too hard for kids to understand!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3166458;
    You could always read the snack packages (I know that's an old post, but 've been out of town and missed an smarty-pants op) Seriously, I'm such a read a holic that I actually will read advertisements, boxes, etc if nothing else is around.
    We are all notorious cereal box readers in this house. The three of us can be found at breakfast with a box in front of us while we eat. I love to read about food (recipes, restaurant reviews etc...) while I eat.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread