+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 129

Thread: Happy 4th Of July!!

  1. #71
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    HAPPY 4TH OF JULY To all my American Friends and Forters! I hope you enjoy great weather, have lots of fun, and stay safe!

    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  2. #72
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3096670;
    He gets a little careless and forgets to let go of the firecrackers. He'll spend the next week being called Lefty by Rosie and Bogie.
    Newf you always crack me up.


    Waldo has no clue there are fireworks. "noises? what noises? why are you guys hiding and shaking? Let's play!!!!!"

    Rosie and Bogie also dislike thunder. Waldo to my knowlege has never even heard the thunder. He is so oblivious to just about everything except food.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #73
    In My Nest doxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweet dreams are made of cheese....
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Happy 4th!

    I hope that everyone has a great holiday. Mr. Doxie and I are going to grill something on the 5th as he has to work on the 4th.

    Our neighborhood is full of people who love to shoot off fireworks. I don't really mind, but it scares the crap out of Henry. He sits on my lap and shakes and whines. Our JRT, Simon, used to go nuts and bark at the fireworks, but he is deaf now and they don't phase him at all.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

  4. #74
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    We have absolutely no plans. Last year I was recovering from hernia surgery, so we didn't do much and this year, we can't agree on what to do except to stay away from the huge motorcycle convention and parade downtown tomorrow.
    I'm thinking that we may just stay home and get some stuff done around this house that sorely needs to be done.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  5. #75
    Premium Member canuckinchile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    back in "The Big Smoke"
    Posts
    6,962

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3098191;
    Happy 4th!

    I hope that everyone has a great holiday. Mr. Doxie and I are going to grill something on the 5th as he has to work on the 4th.

    Our neighborhood is full of people who love to shoot off fireworks. I don't really mind, but it scares the crap out of Henry. He sits on my lap and shakes and whines. Our JRT, Simon, used to go nuts and bark at the fireworks, but he is deaf now and they don't phase him at all.
    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July! I feel your pain Doxie. We were looking after a friend's dog that barks at everything. The neighbours set off July 1st (Canada Day) fireworks and he went insane. We actually had to put him on a leash to keep him from injuring himself. Poor baby.

  6. #76
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    I have a half day at work today, so I get to leave around 1, so happy, and then we are heading up to Maine. My parents' college friends are coming up as well, so it should be a fun weekend.

  7. #77
    Resident curmudgeon Newfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Enchanted by a beautiful Soprano
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    I think that I'm working on the 4th, and probably the 5th. If I get a chance, I want to get the garden worked up to plant pumpkins. I'm pretty neutral on fireworks. Technically, they are illegal in the rural parts of the county, but that doesn't stop the neighbors. I don't rat them out because they don't rat me out when I do illegal burning in the fall.

    About 6 years ago, I got very unhappy with some people shooting fireworks in the field across the road. It wasn't their property, they started at 2 AM (Bjorn was not amused), and the 640 acres of wheat was freshly harvested, which meant that they were sitting on a whole lot of dry straw. My prairie hay was still in my pasture, too, so the fire danger was extreme. I wasn't especially polite when I suggested that they leave. To their credit, they did get out as soon as they cleaned up their mess, and didn't give me any back-talk.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

  8. #78
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3098426;
    I think that I'm working on the 4th, and probably the 5th. If I get a chance, I want to get the garden worked up to plant pumpkins. I'm pretty neutral on fireworks. Technically, they are illegal in the rural parts of the county, but that doesn't stop the neighbors. I don't rat them out because they don't rat me out when I do illegal burning in the fall.

    About 6 years ago, I got very unhappy with some people shooting fireworks in the field across the road. It wasn't their property, they started at 2 AM (Bjorn was not amused), and the 640 acres of wheat was freshly harvested, which meant that they were sitting on a whole lot of dry straw. My prairie hay was still in my pasture, too, so the fire danger was extreme. I wasn't especially polite when I suggested that they leave. To their credit, they did get out as soon as they cleaned up their mess, and didn't give me any back-talk.
    I wouldn't have been polite either. I'd have taken my 2 big dogs with me if I were you and my friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

    I really miss 4th of July in my hometown. The day starts off with a wild west shootout on main street. (the bad guys try to rob the local bank), then a wonderful homey parade (complete with the Ugly Truck contest and about 200 horses, beauty queens, the high school band and floats and the wacky lawn chair drill team), then the Elks Club have a huge BBQ that can't be beat, then in the afternoon, the rodeo takes place and the day would end up with us sitting in my parents front yard (with all the neighbors doing the same and everyone visiting and having fun) for a ring side view of the fireworks that were shot off over the lake that was 2 blocks away.

    I haven't experienced a truly great 4th of July like that since I moved away from there in 1998.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #79
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3097460;
    Waldo has no clue there are fireworks. "noises? what noises? why are you guys hiding and shaking? Let's play!!!!!"
    Our dogs (when I was a kid, long before I became asthmatically allergic to dogs, cats, and all things dander-y), too, had no problem with fireworks or thunder. I think it's because my thinking-ahead dad took action when they were puppies (a beagle and a "poogle" [poodle-beagle mutt]). Since he didn't want them to become "nervous nellies at every snap-crackle-pop," he exposed them to similar-type noises (rifle ranges for target-shooting practice, my sister's drums, etc. And in WI, we had thunderstorms all the time) combined with calm behavior of their surrounding humans. As a result, such noises were never an issue with them.

    My hope for fireworks this year is that the cops not turn their backs on the illegal firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, etc., that the idiots around here always set off. One would hope that with the early fire season this year, people would hold off on the "home grown" stuff -- but I'm not holding my breath.

    . . . a wonderful homey parade (complete with the Ugly Truck contest and about 200 horses, beauty queens, the high school band and floats and the wacky lawn chair drill team) . . .
    That sound like a hoot! In the 'burb where my parents and sister live, the thing that always cracked me up about their parade is that not only are all the police cars and fire trucks (not that many) included, but also, yes, the garbage trucks.
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-03-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  10. #80
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3098490;


    That sound like a hoot! In the 'burb where my parents and sister live, the thing that always cracked me up about their parade is that not only are all the police cars and fire trucks (not that many) included, but also, yes, the garbage trucks.
    at the garbage trucks. We always have the fire and police leading off the parade and the horses bring up the rear for obvious reasons.
    The football team from the HS always rides on the firetruck.

    And we have those wacky shriners in their itty bitty cars too and the Grand Poobah Shriner in his fez and vest and harem pants with a big jewel in his beer gut belly button.

    The lawn chair drill team is hilarious. All are women about my age that were in the drill team in highschool. But now they use lawn chairs and they are good. After they open and close the chairs while drilling, the end up with them open and sitting in them. I wish I had photos.

    There is also the "Tater Hill Bluff Kitchen Band". (the town I am from used to be named Tater Hill Bluff before they mercifully changed the name-I just couldn't tell people with a straight face that I'm from Tater Hill Bluff, Florida. ) and the women all dress up in Minnie Pearl like costumes and they play old timey kitchen utensils and kazoos. It's hilarious as they are all probably in their late 60's and 70's. They have a washtub bass and everything.

    I am really homesick now, but just for the parade.

    It is most definetly a small town America community parade.

    I've even been in the parade a few times myself. But on a float, not drilling lawn chairs or playing the kazoo. But I did have to wear a cowboy hat.

    And all the kids wait for the candy that gets thrown from the floats and cars down the parade route. It's really a good time, except that at 10 a.m. in that part of Florida on July 4, it's like the sauna from hell! I remember one year, a friend of mine's son got heatstroke at the parade.
    That part I won't miss.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.