+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Happy 4th Of July!!

Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

HAPPY 4th of JULY to my AMERICAN friends!!

And YAY that the American Eagle will be off the endangered list in a month!!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Happy 4th everyone!! Gorgeous eagle graphic, thank you misskitty!

Have a safe and happy 4th, everyone!
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

We had a slow day at the beach - very unusual. Cold, rainy toward the end, but still. My older daughter was home. She and her brother came to the beach to sun, swim, and catch salamanders. They both used to guard there, so the park supervisors came by to say hi. The son strutted around like a rooster, which was too funny. He used our walkie-talkies inappropriately and swam (underwater) outside the bouys, raising a hand up to wave hi and swimming back. hee.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Well what is everyone doing for the long 4th weekend?

We were going to go to the festival downtown, but I read where they are expecting 100,000 people and 16,000 of those will be the Gold Wing motorcycle club who will be attempting the longest motorcyle parade in SC. Whoopie!

So as I really would like to see the fireworks, but I dont' relish spending that evening with 100,000 of my closest friends and I can't take the noise from that many motorcycles, I guess we will stay home. Hubby FINALLY has 3 days off in a row, so now's my chance to get some stuff done around here.

Besides, I like watching the Boston Pops concert on tv.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We're going to have our annual cul-de-sac party. I'm also having about 15 over for a cookout. Fireworks are illegal here in town but that doesn't seem to stop anyone...although I'm not buying any. I am thinking about going by the vet and seeing if he will give me something for Travlin Jack. The poor dog (like so many others) just hates fireworks and becomes quite miserable. I've read that to help them with their phobia is not to give them any attention at all when they are scared as it just reinforces their fear. But it is so hard. I just want to cuddle with him etc.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Most likely we'll be going out to see fireworks and then coming right back home. Managing the apartment complex means mr buglover needs to be here to handle any situations that will come up........ and we know something will come up!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3095602;
    We're going to have our annual cul-de-sac party. I'm also having about 15 over for a cookout. Fireworks are illegal here in town but that doesn't seem to stop anyone...although I'm not buying any. I am thinking about going by the vet and seeing if he will give me something for Travlin Jack. The poor dog (like so many others) just hates fireworks and becomes quite miserable. I've read that to help them with their phobia is not to give them any attention at all when they are scared as it just reinforces their fear. But it is so hard. I just want to cuddle with him etc.
    I read the same thing and I can tell you that it doesn't work. Rosie is 11 and we've endured close to 11 years of her being scared. We have always left her alone (she prefers to find a place to hide, like in the closet) and she still is terrified. We have to sedate her and Bogie both on 4th of July.

In the beginning I used to try to hold her to try to calm her and she did NOT want to be held. She prefers to be away from us and alone. So the attention thing isn't something that even worked here at all. So the non-attention thing doesn't either.

Good luck Livin'. I hate it when I see her so scared. I'm scared she'll have a heart attack.

I was thinking of possibly inviting over a few friends that also don't want to be downtown (both live downtown and want to be far, far away from the 4th festivities down there), but then again, my husband may be working now.
    So we may do nothing and that would be fine too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We are going up to the lake. There will be fireworks on Friday night. The nearby town has a midway set up and we will be taking our granddaughter to it. She is very excited about all of this.

Our dog, surprisingly, is not affected by fireworks. I can remember past doggies (goldens, weimaraners) trying to hide behind the toilet. I was going to say that maybe it is because Bo is a small dog (Bichon) but MRD's little ones are scared so that theory doesn't fly.

MRD, how is Waldo with the fireworks?

He gets a little careless and forgets to let go of the firecrackers. He'll spend the next week being called Lefty by Rosie and Bogie.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread