+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Happy 4th Of July!!

MRD
    We just went and stood on the highway overpass with 10 other strangers to see the Space Shuttle lift off. It was so cool that it went up on Independence Day. We only got to see a speck and some smoke trail, but it was still cool and everyone was cheering and talking to each other, even tho we were all strangers. We all had on our red, white and blue. I'm still all psyched up about it.

I did not get a picture with my camara as we had clouds on this coast and it was going in and out of the clouds, but I found this awesome shot online and a great quote from the Shuttle commander:

Commander Steven Lindsey, an Air Force fighter pilot, was at Discovery's controls and aiming for a Thursday linkup with the international space station.

"I can't think of a better place to be here on the Fourth of July," radioed Lindsey. "For all the folks on the Florida east coast, we hope to very soon get you an up-close and personal look at the rocket's red glare."

....And the rockets red glare. Wow, it gives me goosebumps.

What a nice 4th of July treat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

July 4

Hi everyone,
    I live here in jamaica where there aren't many fireworks especially like that of USA's independence day. i don't appreciate it as you Americans do, but I would love to be in America now to see the fireworks and witness the spirit and hapiness of the people.
    I love Top model and I love life.
    http://tsparkles.kk5.org/ my friend

That is so cool, myrosiedog.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

We didn't go to the lake to watch fireworks as planned because it'd been raining all evening. At about 9:30, we discovered that the next town over was still doing them and we could see them from the front of our house. After standing there on the porch a few minutes, it dawned on me that we'd be able to see upstairs from my daughter's bedroom window. I raised the blinds and we could see from her bed. It had to be the best seat around for watching the fireworks. My little guy quickly fell asleep and I moved him to his bed. I went back and made my 4 yo lay down. I figured she'd fall asleep watching but I did instead. She woke me up at 11:30 when they were done and asked me to close her blinds.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    This Fourth of July I realized that with all our faults and differences of opinion, there is still no other country I would rather be in. The Great Experiment lives on; not just in D.C. but in the American people. We can bicker and argue but we don't have to worry about military coups or violent take overs. Even with our current President's expanding powers, we are still free to protests and even take our case to the Sumpreme Court to hold things in balance. I love this country and all those who have fought on and off the batte field for our freedom.

I'll stop because I know I sound like a sappy commercial or greeting card.

MRD

Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

Hi everyone! What are your plans for tomorrow? Menus?

We are staying home, taking it easy. Hubby is barbequing a boston butt (what exactly is that anyway? I mean, I thought that that phrase pertained to Rob, of Rob and Amber of Survivor and TAR fame, but apparantly not. )

And I am going to make my famous cole slaw and we are going to roast corn on the cob on the grill.

Then will watch all the tv festivities as I still don't feel like getting out much. And my hubby has to work on Thur., so can't really do much anyway. He has to be in bed by 9 or 9:30 and it doesn't get dark enough for fireworks until about 9:30 so those are definetly out this year.

I seriously think that the 4th should be a 2 day celebration so you can have the 5th to recover and I think that they should make the Mon. after superbowl a holiday as that is the day the most people call in sick (hungover) to work.
    So make it easier on those that wish to celebrate by giving them an extra day during the work week to "rest" from celebrating.

I really miss the old days, when we had a big neighborhood party (my parents had a pool) and everyone BBQ-ed and brought dishes and we played with sparklers, went to the parade and wild west shoot out re-enactment, the rodeo in the afternoon and could watch the fireworks from our driveway as they shot them off about 2 blocks from our house. Plenty of watermelon and corn and ribs, not to mention the smell of Off repellant and that funny smelling salve my grandmother had for the burns we got from the 5000 degree sparklers our parents let us kids play with. Ah, the good old days.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

myrosiedog - Your day sounds relaxing. Have fun.

Our little town in AZ has the celebration tonight, so we can all recover and relax July 4th. I live in a Norman Rockwell type place, with a huge community park, jumpies for the kids, hot dogs, glow sticks etc. It's great fun. However, this year, today it will be 115 degrees, so we won't go til 6pm or so.......

The jumpies and slides for kids all contain water, we'll need it!?!

I'll almost certainly have to work tomorrow. I have no doubt that I will see many, many fireworks in the evening. They are illegal in rural areas, but that doesn't seem to stop the neighbors. As wet as it's been this year, I think one could drop Napalm and not start a fire, so I don't think I'll worry too much this year.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

CCL

Happy 4th of July, all my American friends! Have a fun and safe holiday!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Happy 4th to all of you! Hope you have a great day wherever you are! I myself am going to eat at my boyfriend's aunts house for lunch for her birthday, then going to the river to watch wrestling and then watching the fireworks and then possibly partying it up.

+ Reply to Thread