+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Happy 4th Of July!!

MRD

Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

Canuck, we're just getting you guys back for the party you all had on the 1st.

Newf would love to hear your potato salad ballad. I make a mean potato salad myself and it always gets raves and we did have it today.

Ellen, I am coming to SD one day, you can count on it. And yes, I think we all need an alter-ego and that is going to be mine. Lots of people think I'm already a left wing liberal wing nut anyway.

My neighbors apparantly have not been affected by the economy if the amount of fireworks is any indication. Been going off for hours now. Rosie and Bogie are ok. Rosie's a little bit distraught, but not nearly what she usually is. These pills just calmed them, didn't knock them out like the ones we got last year. Waldo of course has no clue that there's noise.

And "someone" got a chicken bone earlier. I don't know which one, but I think I can rule Bogie out. He's not that bold. Had to have been Rosie or Waldo. I told hubby not to leave it next to the sofa.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

OK, I know it's the 4th and I know it's a Saturday, but geez, it's now after midnight and the warzone continues. Everytime I try to fall asleep it sounds like a nuclear bomb is going off. The firecrackers aren't that bad, but there's some big fireworks still going off in my neighborhood. Time to go to bed. Some of us have to get up in the morning. (yes, I am now offically old and my mother as well). I'm all for fun and fireworks, but at midnight, I expect it to settle down. And fireworks are legal here, but I'm pretty sure the noise ordinance is still in effect which means that 11 pm was the cutoff. I would call the cops, but it won't do any good and they're busy trying to keep the drunks off the roads. And then I'd really be an old cranky lady with nothing better to do. Wish I had earplugs.

MRD

Well I wish I had some fireworks because I'd be setting them off this morning as those jerks last night are trying to sleep. I know they are sleeping in as they were setting off fireworks until 2 a.m. this morning. Should only be fair right?

Go for it!! That, or set up a boom box and then dribble a basketball in your driveway for an hour or two. Does your lawn need to be mowed this morning?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'm with Newf on this one. Do it MRD.

Our neighbors weren't quite as bad, but TJ hadn't been out all day/night because he is scared to death and went all night with a full bladder Im sure. Got up this am at 6 so he could go out. And fireworks are ILLEGAL in my town. Are you kidding? Doesn't stop anyone here!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

The Chinese may have invented fireworks, but South Carolina embraced their sale and use early on. I do think that it has to be a great revenue stream for the state on taxes on them. I can remember as a kid that SC was about the only place you could buy them. We would go to NC and VA on vacation in June nearly every year, so we could stop at South of the Border in SC so my dad could buy fireworks as you couldn't get them in FL or Georgia or any of the other states we drove through or lived in.

I couldn't believe it here. Before sunset, there was already a fire truck in the neighborhood because of a small brush fire in the canyon. And then there were idiots shooting off illegal fireworks (drought, water rationing, propensity for wildfires -- these people are so stupid!) in the park across the street. And nary a cop in sight . . .
    (Yes, I called. Yes, I was put on hold. For more than five minutes.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

About 5 years ago, I woke up at about 2 AM to the sound of the dogs barking at fireworks. I looked out the window, and saw that the fireworks were being shot from the field south of me--the field that was 640 acres of wheat stubble People have no freakin' sense. I have to admit that I was less than gracious when I suggested where they could fire their next rocket.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

We still have morons throwing fireworks right now. They are standing on the roof and throwing them into our carport area. The cops are useless because they show up a couple of hours later.....once they have gone inside! Argh. Last night I was woken up every hour with someone throwing the "bomb" sounding ones in the next complex over. This went on until 5 am.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213