+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Happy 4th Of July!!

MRD

Re: Happy 4th Of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3542737;
    Mid-70ºsF and nicely breezy here today. We're going to Old Town for the 19th-century Fourth of July event -- partly to support the history interpreters and business owners who are always so nice and accommodating to my "without walls" students and me, partly because it's uncrowded fun.

Not going to fight traffic or crowds for the fireworks, though. Last night I walked to the park just past the school and Little League field across the street and saw nearly an hour's worth of fireworks -- Paradise Point followed by Sea World. Tonight the park is going to be packed, but last night there were only a handful of us -- all adults. It was great!
    Ellen, I want to go with you. The history thing is right up my alley.

Well we may go see the fireworks. I happen to know a spot on a hill with a parking lot and we can park away from the crowds and still be able to see the fireworks. But it depends on how I feel at 9:30 tonight.

ETA: Watching "The World is Not Enough" and think it would be so cool to have a name like "Renaud, the Anarchist". I'd love to go to parties and be introduced: "This is my friend, Renaud. The Anarchist". Then when people ask me what I do, I could just say: "I'm an anarchist, and you?" with a knowing look and raised eyebrow.

I have no life, ok?
    Last edited by MRD; 07-04-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Everyone, have a happy and safe 4th!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Happy 4th! We can't even go and see fireworks tonight. Our city has basically closed streets surrounding the college and basically anywhere you may be able to see the fireworks for free. It's a monopoly so everyone has to pay to see them. They even made them lower fireworks this year so they don't go up high enough for people to see for free. Ridiculous!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

OUr city which normally has the parking garages free on weekends, is charging $5 to park. They are expecting 60,000 people packed into a small part of downtown which has had those streets barricaded. I am NOT getting in that crowd, but we can go park at the City water department which is on a hill and away from the crowds and see them for free.
    Parking downtown is bad on a Mon. morning at 9 a.m. and is horrendous on weekends and I"m sure will be even worse today. When I was at the Farmer's Market this morning, I saw which section they were barricading and it's not big. 60,000 people in there is going to be elbow to elbow.
    So if we feel up to it after a full day of Bond movies and ribs, we may venture to the water dept. to see the show.
    And there's a baseball game today which the field is also downtown and parking for that is also bad, so with all that going on, I'm sure it will be a traffic snarl.
    Hmm, think I"ll stay home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Happy Independence Day~ DH and I are home alone with the dogs...the kids went with my ex to Texas so we're just doing some ribs etc.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Just went to pick my kid up from work and the cops are everywhere! I knew to drive slow coming back and he got someone passing me! Neighbors are having a noisy party, but that's ok.
    Count your blessings!

Happy 4th of July to our neighbours to the South! Have a fabulous party but keep it down

Happy 4th of July everyone! I had to work today. Everyone brought in a dish though so we had a cookout without going outside. Potato salad, baked beans, pasta salad, brownies, cake, hot dogs, brats, etc. We do it every holiday we have to work. After work I went to the hospital and decorated Zac's room for the holiday. He just lit up when I did that and thought it was cool. Flags on his IV pole, bunting suspended from the ceiling over his bed and hanging all around the room. Seeing him happy made it a great 4th!

Just got home from Old Town -- so much fun! Now we're kickin' back at home, drinking wine and catching whatever's on the Bond marathon.

MRD, you'd have loved it. If you ever get to come to SD, plan it for whenever Old Town is having any of its events -- you'd have a great time, and I could introduce you around to everyone. And I think you should take on Renaud the Anarchist as an alter-ego name. Everyone should have one of those!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I made my lust-inducing potato salad (I'm thinking of writing The Righteous Potato Salad Ballad about it ) and did marinated chicken wings on the grill. YUM! There are enough illegal fireworks in the neighborhood that I don't have to go anywhere to enjoy a display. Josey isn't too fond of them, she doesn't care for loud noises, but at least she's not freaking out
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread