+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bad Bosses

In the nearly 30 years I've been working for a living I've had few not so great bosses but for the most part I've found that if you meet them halfway they'll do the same. The work relationship is like any other -- it takes effort on the part of all participants.

Even when I look back on some of the not so great bosses I can see how my own behaviour or reactions played a part in the bad relationship.

MRD
    I've found that quite often myself in dealing with bosses. However this one was so self centered, so arrogant, so in his own fantasy world, that nothing I could have done would have met him halfway. And believe me, in the 2 days I was there, I tried because I have dealt with a LOT of difficult people and bosses in my life and usually I'm fairly good with it. But in this case, I could see the handwriting on the wall and it said:

Myrosiedog: GET OUT NOW! RUN FAR, FAR AWAY!

8 different people in 12 months don't work for the same man because they weren't willing to compromise. And I wasn't there long enough to even establish any kind of relationship that could have been 2 way. But I could see that it would have never been 2 way had I been there 2 years.

However, I feel extremely good that I did NOT compromise in this situation because I was being drawn into unethical behavior and if nothing else, I do have some standards. In the 2 days I was there, I was professional, courteous and did exactly as I was told except the cleaning thing which my contract stated I was not to do. So I can look back today and see that I acted in a way I was proud of and that would allow me to sleep at night knowing that in those 2 days, I did a good job. And he wanted me to stay. But I couldn't, wouldn't and would have done the exact same thing if I had to go back and do it over (which I hope to god I don't because that would be my idea of hell)

I spent 12 years in the same job with a very difficult boss. But difficult and totally immoral, unethical, cheating and lying I couldn't take for 2 days. BIG difference. Difficult I could handle. This guy went WAY beyond that.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-04-2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Did he expect you to do your duties AND clean at the same time? Because I would think that if nothing else, it would be unsanitary to scrub the toilet and mop the floors and then come out and greet customers. Even if you wash your hands, the splashes from cleaning would've been all over you. What was he thinking? Did he expect you to bring two sets of clothing?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2129179;
    Did he expect you to do your duties AND clean at the same time? Because I would think that if nothing else, it would be unsanitary to scrub the toilet and mop the floors and then come out and greet customers. Even if you wash your hands, the splashes from cleaning would've been all over you. What was he thinking? Did he expect you to bring two sets of clothing?
    I don't think he even thought about anything he said to me. He kept calling me "my girl". As in: "My girl will fax that over" and "My girl will send those out".

GRRRR, that bothered me too. I wanted to say: That girl has a name and I am not YOURS nor anyone else's GIRL. Your assistant, your secretary, your office manager would have been fine, but I left GIRLhood a long time ago.

This man thought ONLY of himself, so my being there was nothing to him other than a body to do his bidding and so now, I don't think he thought about or if he did, cared what I wore to clean in or when I did it as long as it got done by "his girl".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I used to work for a large corp. There was a creepy supervisor down the hall who needed me to do something for him. He kept looking over my shoulder, telling me what to do and calling me "sweetheart". I finally gritted my teeth, and said 'O.K., honey'. He smirked, but got the message.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2130798;
    I used to work for a large corp. There was a creepy supervisor down the hall who needed me to do something for him. He kept looking over my shoulder, telling me what to do and calling me "sweetheart". I finally gritted my teeth, and said 'O.K., honey'. He smirked, but got the message.
    That's great! This one African American gentleman used to call one of my friends "China Doll" -- never mind that she's not Chinese OR that this is a totally inappropriate way to address a fellow professional in the office. One day, she got fed up and gave it right back to him. She said, "Are we having fried chicken for lunch today?" I was horrified, but it did the trick. He stopped calling her that and addressed her by her actual name from then on.

BTW, no offense is meant to any of our FORT members and I hope none is taken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234