+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Cancelling Services

Trouble Cancelling Services

Does anyone have trouble trying to cancel a service they had signed up for. Or even cancelling one they never really signed up for?

I find that I get a lot of junk mail that appears to be invoices for something I never ordered or asked for. I have to return it marked a certain way, or the provider assumes that I want it and starts to bill! I find that ridiculous.

Also, I find that certain magazine subscriptions are difficult to cancel. And that I get a lot of renewal invoices when my original order time is not yet even close to being up for renewal.

Anyone else have problems like that?

Here's an example of a poor fellow who tried to cancel his AOL account
    ----------------------------------------------

AOL Rep Won't Let Man Cancel Account

An incredible video from CNBC shows an AOL customer trying to cancel his account, but a phone rep won't let him do it. What customer Vincent Ferrari got when he tried to cancel his account was a lot of frustration.

It took him 15 minutes waiting on the phone just to reach a real, live person.

And, what happened next was recorded by Ferrari on audio and lasted about four minutes:

CLOCK READOUT - 00:00

AOL REPRESENTATIVE: Hi this is John at AOL... how may I help you today?

VINCENT FERRARI: I wanted to cancel my account.

AOL: Sorry to hear that. Let's pull your account up here real quick. Can I have your name please?

VINCENT: Vincent Ferrari.

CLOCK READOUT - 00:30

AOL: You've had this account for a long time.

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: Use this quite a bit. What was the cause of wanting to turn this off today?

VINCENT: I just don't use it anymore.

AOL: Do you have a high speed connection, like the DSL or cable?

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: How long have you had that...

VINCENT: Years...

AOL: ...the high speed?

VINCENT: ...years.

AOL: Well, actually I'm showing a lot of usage on this account.

VINCENT: Yeah, a long time, a long time ago, not recently...

CLOCK READOUT - 01:47

AOL: Okay, I mean is there a problem with the software itself?

VINCENT: No. I just don't use it, I don't need it, I don't want it. I just don't need it anymore.

AOL: Okay. So when you use this... I mean, use the computer, I'm saying, is that for business or for
    ... for school?

VINCENT: Dude, what difference does it make. I don't want the AOL account anymore.
    Can we please cancel it?

CLOCK READOUT - 02:21

AOL: Last year was 545, last month was 545 hours of usage...

VINCENT: I don't know how to make this any clearer, so I'm just gonna say it one last time
    . Cancel the account.

AOL: Well explain to me what's, why...

VINCENT: I'm not explaining anything to you. Cancel the account.

AOL: Well, what's the matter man? We're just, I'm just trying to help here.

VINCENT: You're not helping me. You're helping me...

AOL: I am trying to help.

VINCENT: Helping... listen, I called to cancel the account. Helping me would be canceling
    the account. Please help me and cancel the account.

AOL: No, it wouldn't actually...

VINCENT: Cancel my account...

AOL: Turning off your account...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account...

AOL: ...would be the worst thing that...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:02

AOL: Okay, cause I'm just trying to figure out...

VINCENT: Cancel the account. I don't know how to make this any clearer for you. Cancel the
    account. When I say cancel the account, I don't mean help me figure out how to keep it, I mean
    cancel the account.

AOL: Well, I'm sorry, I don't know what anybody's done to you Vincent because all I'm...

VINCENT: Will you please cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:32

AOL: Alright, some day when you calmed down you're gonna realize that all I was trying to do
    was help you... and it was actually in your best interest to listen to me.

VINCENT: Wonderful, Okay.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:39

"I've never ever experienced anything like that," Ferrari told CNBC.

He recounts how the AOL representative - as a last resort even asked if his dad was home.

"I think I could've put up with everything, but at the point when he asked to speak to my father, I
    came very close to losing it at that point," said the 30-year-old Ferrari.

Ferrari then posted the call online, and the response was tremendous.

AOL sent him an apology and said the customer service rep was no longer with the company.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9406462/de...s=phi&psp=news
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I went through hell trying to cancel my AOL account. They offered it to me at a discount which really pissed me off more. "So you've been ripping me off all this time when I could have had it cheaper just by trying to cancel?" Just another reason I'm glad I'm done with AOHELL.

AOL only sent an apology because they got caught on tape. I'm sure the customer service agent was pressured to keep accounts active and was in fear of losing his job if he let anyone cancel. Now AOL fires him (if indeed they really did) just to save face. I wonder how they'll handle calls now knowing each one might be recorded.

I had problems cancelling AOL and came up with the perfect plan.

when he asked why, I told him it was against my religion.

The guy started with the "well you've had it for so and so"

I told him I converted, it's against my religion, please respect that.

He tried something else and I began spewing scripture and talking about freedom of religion and etc.

The call didn't take 10 minutes, I was cancelled and never happier, although he did tell me if I change religions again and can have AOL I will get my first 2 months free as a returning customer.

so next time, tell him it's against your religion, you are recording the call, cancel the service. Works for anything.

FORT Fogey
    i told them i was leaving the country to go to africa!!!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    In college a friend of my had trouble cancelling AOL. They just kept giving her more free trials, so she kept taking them. I guess since they no longer assault our mailboxes with download disks they are desperate to hang on to customers.

When I cancelled AOL I told them I had no money and that the credit card I used to bill on was being closed. They offered me a free month and I said sure but told them to take off the credit card because the bankrupty court was making me close that account and when the customer rep asked me for a new card number I told him I didn't need it because "you are giving me a free month" and he said "well only if you have a credit card", I told him I wasn't allowed to have one for 2 years and he told me I could have my free month when I had a credit card. Took about 5-10 minutes and was the dumbest thing I had to go through.

We had a heck of time cancelling a yard service once, had to report them to the BBB and the attorney general's fraud unit. That was insane.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

When my folks decided to finally dump their dsl and go to roadrunner I told my Dad when he calls to cancel, tell them the reason is your son is giving you internet service as a gift from another provider. Man did he get off that phone fast. Same thing with phone calls for magazines etc., my Mom for years has been saying "I get that from my son"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    ...Just another reason I'm glad I'm done with AOHELL.

gabriel: thanks for the tip, but I don't have a son. Oh, wait, Yes I do! Mr. Tootles (whose original name is Grayson). I'm gonna use that one .
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I heard that AOL tape just htis weekend, It plays better ont he radio station computer....man it is great. that guy went through a load of crap to cancell. I had a phone call for an offer for something right as I was going out for the weekend for a trip and they wouldn't take no for an wnaswer, si I said yes and got off the phone faster, then I called to cancel when I got back andwnet through hell....even banged the handset of the phone onto the counter top and said " give me your supervisor now" then told her that I had a story to tell and then when i was finished she whould have all the answers she needed. after I got done with the story she said I was right and that it was cancelled and she was very sorry for the trouble I went through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast