+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Cancelling Services

Re: Trouble Cancelling Services

If you have a service like Vonage and your power goes out, does the phone stop working too?

AOL sucks big time. My sister had them for the free trial period. When it ended, she canceled because she was getting rid of her home phone. They said it was cancelled. Well, a year later we were trying to figure out her checking account (yeah, she is bad with it) and I noticed that they were still charging her checking account. When she called they told her they were showing it coming from her phone bill. Besides the fact that she had cancelled, she didn't have a phone so how could they be billing her phone?

My mom works with attorneys and sicced one on them. It took a couple of months, but she finally got all her money back.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2484589;
    Oh, when my father passed away I filled out one of those forms to cancel his mail and I tried to list all the items I could. When the agency/company/firm replied saying they had recieved my form they also told me that they could only do this for 5 yrs and then the subscriptions and what ever would start again. That statement threw me for a loop, what part of dead did they not understand?
    I'm sorry about your Dad, bearcata. That was really stupid on that company's part.

Here is my TCS story:

Last spring we were looking to re-fi our house. A company in New Jersey gave us the best offer and terms. We had pretty much decided to go with them but were going to do some more research. Well he called during the witching hour around here-dinner time. And the teen was on me to take him somewhere, the dog barking, everyone hungry etc. It was a weak moment. So I told him yes. He said if we backed out they would charge us $500. I was cool with that. (can you see where this is going?)

Next day I found some major inconsistencies in what he had told me vs. their contract. But since we hadn't actually signed the contract we were out the $500. I talked to my BIL (lawyer) he said I was fine. I sent them a telegram canceling. (cost $130) By wednesday I was getting phone calls threatening they would take the money out of my account. I called the attorney general's office and made a complaint to the FTC. Then Thurs they tried to take out $30 (odd amount) I put a stop payment on that. Then they tried again! I called my bank, closed out that card they had info on and bank said they would investigate. They refunded our $30 and I've never heard another word from this shyster mortgage company. (or from my bank for that matter)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

I still remember the hell AOL put me through to cancel the account I was providing our daughter some years ago.... <>

Then there are the credit card companies....

Our Discover card was in my husbands name, (Bet you can already see where this is heading...) but I am the one who always dealt with them whenever a problem or question arose. At some point in time, they cracked down on their security (A good thing, I suppose), and when I called for something (I think it was because the card was refused somewhere, and I wanted to know what the heck was going on, they refused to deal with me, and would only deal with the card holder of record, no amount of logic or pleading got me anywhere... By the time hubby came in, I was practically in tears from frustration. He spoke with them, assured them that the purchase I had tried to make on the card was legit, and had the card changed to both of our names, which is the way it was "supposed" to be set up in the first place...

This was some years ago...

So one day last week, I get a call from Discover to speak to my husband, I told her he was out, but she could speak to me, she said she could only speak to him because he was the account holder. I said it was a joint account, and she should double check her records. She then got all full of attitude, and gave me the "I'm looking at the account right now" crap... I said, well, then, goodbye, and hung up...

A few hours later, the phone rang again, and it was the Discover card we have that is in my name. The rep was trying to sell me additional services, as they do on about a monthly basis... I said no thank you and hung up... Curiously, the person who would only speak to my husband because of "legal" reasons, never called back... Apparently, it was not as "important" as she let on...

The MOST angry I ever got on the phone was several months ago trying to find out what happened to a rebate I sent in... Their customer service has evidently been outsourced to the same foreign country as most everyone else's has... Anyway the jerk would not let me finish a sentence, using the same "I'm looking at it right now", over and over, and accused me of lying, etc... Not only did he refuse to let me speak, he refused to allow me to talk with anyone else...

I actually HOPE that phone call WAS recorded, and I hope he lost his hearing in his headset ear.... I never got the rebate, but I did get $25 worth of satisfaction from the venting I did on the phone, and I never even came close "tears" that time....

I make it a practice to everything I can by email, and only use the phone as a last resort...

And then there is the Phone Company!!!!! I have explained till I'm blue in the face that we do NOT want call waiting, their cell service, long distance, caller ID, or their TV package... Now that we have Satellite Internet, we really don't even want their phone....

Then there are the absolutely wonderful CSRs out there that have completely surprised me and made my day... But that's a whole nother thread...

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

I'm jousting with CapitalOne right now. I got dinged for $82+ for a charge at a self-service gas station in Montreal, Canada. I wrote a lengthy letter to dispute the charge, pointing out that while the Cap-One business card had me in Canada, my personal Cap-One card showed charges on the same date here in Kansas. Cap-one accepted my evidence, and dropped the charge. The gas station sent in a mostly illegible transaction record as "proof" that I made the charge, and Cap-One reinstated the charge. I spent a couple of hours this morning drafting another letter, spelling out the improbability of my being in two cities, 1500 miles apart, on the same day without leaving some sort of trail of credit receipts.

My next letter, should it become necessary, will be a lot shorter. More along the lines of "Who goes from Kansas to Canada to buy gasoline?? USE SOME COMMON SENSE, MORONS!!"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2484802;
    My next letter, should it become necessary, will be a lot shorter. More along the lines of "Who goes from Kansas to Canada to buy gasoline?? USE SOME COMMON SENSE, MORONS!!"

Well, it's obvious, Newfherder...

You spent several hundred in cash to go to Canada (Montreal, no less) and back, just to gyp Capitol -One out of 82 bucks...

I have to say, Discover does keep good tabs on us... I got a call one day a couple months ago from their security department (the same card the salesperson refused to talk with me about) asking if our card or our car had been stolen... A gas charge was made in Oklahoma City, and she wanted to verify it was a legit purchase, as well as a couple others... Evidently that's the first time a charge appeared from that city... I assured her all was well, and recited Hubby's itinerary back to him when he got home the same day... He has thought I am psychic for 45 years... That clinched it...

I have made a large purchase for something outside our normal pattern, and by the time I have gotten home from town, Hubby has had a similar phone call...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

In a pinch I had to use AOL dial-up one time. I was fully prepared to enter the ring when I called customer service to cancel my subscription. Surprisingly, I had no problem at all canceling. I felt pretty lucky after knowing a few friends who were taken to hell and back. Either that or the guy at customer service was so burnt out from canceling callers that he just said "screw it" and gave me what I wanted.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I wonder if anyone even uses AOL anymore. I would guess their business has dropped off considerably.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I have AOHell still. Im not on it all the time either but i have had it for a few years now. One gripe is their limited time(27 days iirc) emails. I have a good email account with Netzero for free without a problem.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2484689;
    If you have a service like Vonage and your power goes out, does the phone stop working too?
    Yes it does, ACF. That's one of the major drawbacks. Of course, the cell phone is right there for backup!

Back to AOL, I personally have never used it. When I got my first computer, one of my brothers (the geek) came over to help me get everything all set up. When it was time to talk internet providers, I said, "What about AOL?" He said they sucked! LOL So we went with a local ISP.

Years later, when my son moved out into his first apartment, he figured he would use one of the zillion CDs AOL sent in the mail. But he needed a credit card in order to sign up, and didn't have one. Enter MamaC! When I realized how much AOL was, I told him he could do much better using a different ISP instead (the dialup one I had used prior to going cable). Since he was using my credit card, I had to cancel the account with AOL.

I will never forget cancelling the account and how far the woman went trying to keep "me" a customer. She mentioned how if I cancelled the account, I would no longer be able to access any of the AOL chat rooms (um, I wasn't accessing them anyway), how I wouldn't be able to use my AOL email account (okay, I actually never had one to begin with!) and how I wouldn't be able to access the internet through AOL! D'uh! When I told her that I was perfectly content accessing the internet without going through AOL, I think she was offended! HA! She finally accepted my cancellation, but I still made sure to look at my credit card statement to make sure that the account was, in fact, cancelled.
    Last edited by MamaC; 07-22-2007 at 01:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast