+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arbonne International

FORT Fogey
    Great point Marleybone - there is definitely a huge difference between the home parties like Pampered Chef or Tupperware where you can politely buy a token something and get away with it, vs having to consult a financial advisor and move funds around before even attending a party for Longaberger or Arbonne! Not to mention, I think that hosting these parties gets quite addicting for some. My best friend's sister seems to have one for something nearly every month! She just bounces from Pampered Chef to Discovery Toys, to stamps, to scrapbooking, to candles, etc etc. And she's not quiet in the slightest about the points she's hoping to accumulate so she can get what she wants. Lovely ... make us all carry the freight because you won't just write a check and buy what you want! Her parties, I don't feel guilty in the slightest if I go and don't order anything.

Premium Member
    That's so true, Veruka. I used to host either a Longaberger or Home Interiors party a couple of times a year just so I'd have a reason that I had to clean my house, plus the free and discounted stuff was always a good motivator. They suck you in by making the coolest, most desirable things only available to the hostess, although I don't know what kind of hostess deals they have with Arbonne.

My future SIL is now a Mary Kay seller. She doesn't particularly like me, nor me her, but I went and did buy some stuff (leverage for something later ). But I didn't put any friends on the card for referrals (why would I do something like that to my friends without their permission - very rude in my book).

And there's a sheet where you circle the number level you'd be interested in selling the product with 1 being you wouldn't do it even if you were starving and 5 being you need to make up your mind because chickens pick 5 (or something like that) and I forget what 10 was. I circled 2. Meaning, I'd sell it if it came down to that or me starving but my interest was no more than that. And if that didn't get the message across, there was another part where you were asked if you'd allow the hostess' rep to call you later for a survey. I said no and didn't feel the least bit guilty. I don't want anyone calling me later to try and pressure me.

And if that's not enough of a deterrant, I told her in advance of my coming that I wouldn't be hosting any parties. As you can see, I'm not trying to hard with my relationship with her

But to top it all off, she talked another family member into selling so now I'll probably have to buy from them just to not play favorites. The only thing I really like is the mascara and it costs $16! I'm hoping I won't get any invites to another one anytime soon.

I agree about the Longenberger - I was able to resist buying even the smallest basket because even back in that day, the smallest was $20 and it would only hold about one egg! I don't need useless knicknacks collecting dust.

You guys are great. I'm not feeling bad at all now. I just sent her my e-mail and I'll see if anything happens.

The thing is the prices I showed were in US dollars so I have to add on the Canadian $conversion and tax and stuff so it's even more. Anyhoo, it's a good test for me, like I said.

I'm sure she REALLY invited me because I'm her favorite cousin and she really likes me
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    The family member thing is touchy too. When I was starting in Pampered Chef I asked my SIL if she would be interested in hosting a show for me and she flat out refused. That kind of stung, but I didn't know at the time that she does not ever host any kind of home party, ever, and now I know it wasn't personal.

Marleybone, what you said about your SIL, that's me. I don't play favorites with family, or friends for that matter. I don't host any type of party ever.

First of all, I really don't know many people. Second of all, I'm not extroverted where I'll go out and meet people to invite. Third of all, these types of parties just aren't my thing. It's okay if it is someone's thing but they shouldn't be upset if it's not mine.

I'll attend when the items are something I might buy but I also will tell someone in advance if I don't plan on buying something and 99.9% of the time I won't go if I don't plan to buy because I don't want to waste their (or mine I admit) time.

The main thing for people to remember so they don't get their feelings hurt is just because it's their interest doesn't mean it has to be all of your friends or family's interest. Yes, we should help each other out from time to time. I agree with that. But not for things that make you uncomfortable. If someone will provide all the guests I might have a party. But like I said, I have limited number of people to invite as friends go and the same family I invite will be the same family being invited to everyone else's party. I can't buy from them all nor do I think anyone else in my family could afford to either.

If several family and friends are having all types of selling parties, you have to draw a line somewhere. Same with buying from family and friends kids items such as candy, wrapping paper, walk-a-thons, etc. for school. I can help out sometimes but not all the time. And if you have lots of family and friends with kids, you can be hit pretty hard for school functions. It's a delicate situation to balance. These things have a way of taking on their own life, especially when a lot of people attend one and then spin-off parties happen and you just can't go to them all.

I truly wish anyone luck and success in any venture they undertake. But on the same token, I'm just not into those things. But if someone is getting married, or having a baby, or child's birthday party, or special event, then I definitely do my part and buy a gift. Those are the obligations I feel, well for lack of a better word, obligated to

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Marleybone, what you said about your SIL, that's me. I don't play favorites with family, or friends for that matter. I don't host any type of party ever.
    I respect that, and if I had known she felt that way I would never have asked her in the first place. Today, I would be the same way because I don't do those parties any more either. I think that you can invite the same people to that kind of thing only so many times and then it gets to be too much. I only lasted about 9 months selling PC because I was never good at asking people to host parties. I don't have that assertive type of personality, which is probably why I started out asking friends and relatives.

I just got a cancellation e-mail today for the Arbonne party tomorrow afternoon . I actually called my cousin to say I couldn't attend because we're doing a furniture moving for my Baba's stuff and some of it is coming to my house so I need to be home. And it's the only day that works for everyone else.

Apparently, she was only going to have it because her best friend sells it and really wanted her to host a party. So she was also going to incorporate it into her open house and a tea and cake get together. But she has been out of town a lot and just wasn't up to it. Besides, it's the first weekend without rain all year.

So she chose to spend the weekend at home with her dog Bear. Gotta love a girl who chooses a Puppy over a Product

She will, however, host one later this summer.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I have never in my life heard of Arbonne products before until i read this thread and whaddya know...my SIL is now starting to sell this!!!! As Alanis Morrisette once sung "Isn't that ironic?".........She's going to give me a few samples of the weight loss pills to try cause I'm pretty much a sucker for anything that may help and motivate me to lose some weight but she knows my financial situation so she knows I can't go out and buy a bunch of stuff. I'm sure she'll have a party and I'll go but she knows I don't buy stuff.

She's sold home interior products on the side for a long time (her mom is a district manager for it) and she's not one of those pushy types. Plus I don't mind buying candles because I know I'm gonna use those and they are always good to have around in case you need a last minute gift for a housewarming or teachers present or secret pal kind of stuff!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post

She will, however, host one later this summer.

for which you will definitely be busy!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast