+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you get your screenname?

Mine is from my daughter - she is 3 and LOVES butterflies!!!!

Mine came from the normal lack of creativity when sitting in desperation trying to get access to a website.

Having just moved back to Michigan from NYC... my love of musical theater is overwhelming me. I miss Broadway.

FORT Fogey

Wicked Good Dogs

I have two elderly dogs whom I adore, and I think of them often. They're just the best friends -- they're WICKED GOOD, so my name is a tribute to the two of them!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    So what's the story ADKLove?
    ADK is a common abbreviation for the Adirondacks/The Adirondack Park, very close to where I live and very close to my heart.

My folks first started taking my family up there canoeing, wilderness camping, and hiking when my siblings (I have 4) and I were very young - it was an inexpensive way to take the whole family on vacation. The experiences we've had, and continue to have, are a good part of what made me who I am today. We learned respect for nature, hard work, a lot about ourselves, and to leave things in their pristine condition ("Leave No Trace" was the other new username I was considering). I've been bringing my daughter wilderness camping since she was a toddler, and have brought her places my folks brought me over 30 years ago. (We recently hiked out first mountain together (albeit a small one) - she is a real trooper!) The going can be tough, but the air, the views, the serenity, the smells, the sounds...it is impossible to describe - you must experience it. There is something majestic and almost spiritual in the ancient mountains, lakes and forests of the Adirondacks.

Hoping you'll indulge me, I'm including a link to the ADK Park agency, and some information on it. Thre is a great history of the region as well, if you are interested in that sort of thing. (i.e. the "Great Camps" of the Rockerfellers, Vanderbuilts, et al, in their heyday). Fascinating.

Here is a Link: http://www.apa.state.ny.us/About_Park/index.html

Excerpts: "The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New York amid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined. The boundary of the Park encompasses approximately 6 million acres, nearly half of which belongs to all the people of New York State and is constitutionally protected to remain “forever wild” forest preserve. The remaining half of the Park is private land which includes settlements, farms, timber lands, businesses, homes, and camps.

The Adirondack region boasts over 3,000 lakes, 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, and a wide variety of habitats, including globally unique wetland types and old growth forests. The heart of the Adirondack Park is the Forest Preserve, which was created by an act of the Legislature in 1885 which stated, “The lands now or hereafter constituting the Forest Preserve shall be forever kept as wild forest lands. They shall not be sold, nor shall they be leased or taken by any person or corporation, public or private.” .

Now there is a relationship that will stand the test of time.......
    Last edited by ADKLove; 06-27-2004 at 11:45 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Great new name, ADKLove.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Nice name ADKLove.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    No, don't!!!! I think it is great and you never have to explain yourself!!!
    Okay, since you said so.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Great name, ADKLove.

I'm glad I saw your explanation ADKlove, I've been curious for days.

Veejer, people confuse me with anyone on FORT who has cat in the name. I get some interesting pms sometimes. Makes you wonder what all those cats are up to.
    Last edited by hepcat; 12-22-2004 at 02:38 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan
    My favorite hockey player Teppo Numminen.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    mine is quite simply the first two initials of the names george mallory and edmund hillary.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

+ Reply to Thread