+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you get your screenname?

My screenname shows my geeky side, I guess.

Like grantaire's, mine came from a work of literature as well. In Homer's "The Odyssey", Nausicaa is the Phaeacian princess who saves a shipwrecked Odysseus. The Phaeacians (like many coastal peoples, I guess?) are a laid-back lot, fond of song and dance. Not too much is said of Nausicaa, except that she is young and lovely, delights in nature, and is not one of those simpering sissies who shies away from blood and the sight of a naked man (Odysseus is both naked and bloody when he washes up on shore, y'know.)

I dunno...I just found the image of a this simple, unpretentious princess living in an idyllic land to be compelling - especially since "The Odyssey" is chock-full of bloodshed, intrigue, wrathful gods, helpless men and cruel monsters (parallels to the real world? I wonder.) I think there's a reason why Homer has Odysseus being rescued by the Phaeacians...they provide a brief respite from it all, I guess.

Oh, and by choosing nausicaa as my screenname, I'm also paying homage to one of the greatest animators of all time - Hayao Miyazaki. In his futuristic film "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", the title character Nausicaa is a princess-warrior who is forced into an ecological war, in order to save her meagre kingdom (called "The Valley of the Wind") from being devoured by the vast forest of fungi and plants that give off poisonous gases (called "The Sea of Corruption").

She is also a pilot who glides on a jet-powered glider (called a "seagull"). Damn cool girl, IMO.

FORT Fogey
    Hey quick question for all you FORTers whove been here a long time - on the first page, agentcarver psoted a few times.. but theres no agentcarver in the member directory and it says guest underneath it.... so whats up with that?

That's really cool nausicaa. I don't remember a whole lot about The Odyssey (I read it way back in high school) but I did have a dog named Circe .
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    Hi everyone,

My screen name is a play on "words" with some initials. The "ms" came from the fact that I live in Mississippi. The "tv" not only can stand for television as those are also my first and last initials. I added the "fan" because I am a fan of many television shows.

Now if I could just find a good picture to use as an avatar...still working on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    VeeJay
    karna, that's really cute that your neice called you that . I'm glad you showed us how it's pronounced. I was thinking it was like car-na.
    Yeah I figured that so I thought this would be a good place to clear it up!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Hey quick question for all you FORTers whove been here a long time - on the first page, agentcarver psoted a few times.. but theres no agentcarver in the member directory and it says guest underneath it.... so whats up with that?
    There once was a member named AgentCarver who found she was not suited for FORT. This site may not be for everyone. I am sure she has found a place that is a better fit for her temperment. Sometimes that happens.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

my screenname? Well I have been using it since '93, its really a portion of my last and first names. (sen is part of the last name, and rik part of the first name)

I've known people that have called me senrik in real life as well, but its never capitalised.... (I'm a fan of e. e. cummings)

senrik the dazed
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I loved reading all of your stories!! Thanks for sharing some very personal info.

My screen name was an evolution lol. The very first site I went to on the net was www.Sony.com to play the games.. then I found the chat rooms and that was the end of free time as I knew it. LOL

So anyway I had to enter a username, I spent hours upon hours watching the Land Before Time series of videos with my nephew and his fave character was Ducky. So I was then known as Ducky... until one night the server at Sony died.. cut to about a week later we had to once again sign in and register our username. Some farthead took my name! so anyway I just changed it to Duxxy and the rest is history. This is the name that I use all the time at every site I go to, its just easier.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

~*Perfect Princess*~ Blazingorchidlv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I loved reading all of your stories!! Thanks for sharing some very personal info.

My screen name was an evolution lol. The very first site I went to on the net was www.Sony.com to play the games.. then I found the chat rooms and that was the end of free time as I knew it. LOL

So anyway I had to enter a username, I spent hours upon hours watching the Land Before Time series of videos with my nephew and his fave character was Ducky. So I was then known as Ducky... until one night the server at Sony died.. cut to about a week later we had to once again sign in and register our username. Some farthead took my name! so anyway I just changed it to Duxxy and the rest is history. This is the name that I use all the time at every site I go to, its just easier.
    I LOVE the Land Before Time!!!! And Ducky and Petri were my fave characters!!!!
    I swear the alcohol is coming out my nose

Ociffer...i swear to drunk i am not God...

Ok, since these newer entries are mostly from newbies, I feel the need to explain myself real quick so people who don't me on here yet, don't hate me. I get my kicks playing conceited and self-absorbed and everythinng like that, but that's not really how I am. Just know and remember that and I'm sure we'll get along great!

Anywho, if you'll look back on page 8, which I'm sure all of you saw when you were madly searching for my story (see what I was saying), you'll see that I explained the s/n levi_d. That was my old screen name that I think actually looks better than colby_d, but oh well. Anyway, my first name's Colby and my last initial is D. If you put them together using an underscore rather than a space, and of course no caps, because it's so much cooler all lower case, you get none other than my screen name, colby_d. There you have it, another story to cherish and tell your grandkids one day.

+ Reply to Thread