+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cataract surgery with bifocal lenses

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Cataract surgery with bifocal lenses

Has anyone had this? My dr. is suggesting that I go for bifocal lenses so I won't need reading glasses. He says there is a newer kind of lens out now (they tried this before and it didn't work well) that is working well, but has only been out a year or so. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    It will be more expensive because insurance won't cover the bifocal lens...regular yes, but not the extra cost of bifocal... but I'd be willing if it would work, who wouldn't?
    He said there might be a bit more glare problem with the bifocal lenses. He also said because I am VERY nearsighted (a very long eye) that might also make it not work quite so well, and I might need a small degree of help with glasses. I have a week or 2 to decide what kind of lens to get.
    MODS--I don't think this topic has been listed yet....but I admit I didn't search all the past pages. Please consolidate if it has been. Thanks!

I see that no one has had the experience, and I don't know whether you really care about a stranger's opinion, but if I were in the same position I wouldn't do it. When laser surgery for vision correction came out years ago I was excited about the idea of being able to live without glasses, but decided to hold on for ten years to see whether there were any long-term repercussions to the procedures. There have been multiple cases of nightblindness and halo effect, as well as a few cases of full blindness. I guess it depends on how much you're willing to risk your eyesight. I'm not willing at all - the idea of blindness terrifies me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I had cataract surgery on my right eye several years ago, so wasn't offered a choice in the type of lens. But the vision in that eye is exceptionally clear now. I have another cataract in my left eye, but it's not a significant problem yet, and who knows when I'll need to have that one done. If I'm offered a choice at that time, I'll definitely ask to talk to previous patients, and read everything I can get my hands on regarding the bifocal lens. Like Rattus said, there's always a risk is being one of the first. I'm quite happy with the regular lens I got.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Yes, you are summarizing my qualms well. I never got laser surgery for that very reason, and wouldn't do this if the cataract weren't forcing me into it. But as long as I HAVE to do it....
    Of course the idea of being "glasses free" as my doctor puts it to tempt me, for the first time since 4th grade, is pretty appealing.
    Well, too bad no one here has done it... was really hoping for the dirt. Guess I will now hit the general internet.
    Thanks for answering!

PWS, keep us posted as to what lens you decide to use, and good luck with your surgery.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    PWS, keep us posted as to what lens you decide to use, and good luck with your surgery.
    Thanks, roseskid. Would be lying if I didn't say I had some trepidation, but I don't really have a choice about whether to have it, only some of the details. And my mom, among many others, has had it very successfully. One other thing my doc did say was, that if it didn't work out he could redo it with the more traditional lens. No doubt insurance wouldn't cover that either, but good to know it is an option. Anyway, the surgeon is an optimist, and, in a nice way, a typical surgeon--the risk taking let's cut type of personality, so I'm being the cautious one as a counter.
    I'll let you all know what I find on the net...eventually, from what I hear, if you live long enough, everyone here will probably need the info! And if not you, your parents.

I had my cataract surgery when I was around 50, and the doctors, nurses, etc., kept calling me The Baby since most of their patients are in their 70's. I haven't been considered a baby for many years, so I considered it a perk. I've had eight surgeries, and this by far the easiest medical procedure of them all.

Again, good luck and I look forward to hearing your success story, and how wonderful life is without glasses for you, PWS.

Good luck, PWS. I hope you end up with perfect vision - let us know.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Thanks for the good wishes, all---still got 10 days to decide on the lens type--have to give them a week's notice, before the op. Still trying to figure out how they work mechanically---can't be like bifocal glasses where you move your eye down... as that would also move the lens.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    A brief update---did a lot of medline and other internet searches and finally decided to go for the bifocal lens. Had the surgery this am...very quick really...and am now spending the day at home. Still can't tell how the vision came out as they dilate your eye so much, and it stays dilated so long that lights of any kind just create this major haze...from what I can see through the haze though, certainly looks like a big improvement for distance. No idea what's going on for close yet. So far I've mostly slept off the Valium or whatever anti-anxiety thing they gave me (plus had to get up at 530 am to get the surgery center and I am definitely a night person) and caught up on my ABC soaps. Thanks to FORT I had some idea what was going on--otherwise would have been clueless!
    Supposedly by tomorrow I should be able to see well enough to get an idea how it turned out. Crossing my fingers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast