+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cataract surgery with bifocal lenses

It's good to read you're on the mend. Let us know how your lens works for you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Thanks for the hugs, roseskid---needed them today---was still only seeing clearly in "spots" this am, and not able to read. Quite the contrast to the stories after people have the regular lens surgery, where they see instant improvement. Saw the Dr. for follow up tho, and apparently all is ok and as expected with this kind of lens. I still have some dilation from the drugs so that is part of the problem, as is some swelling that is distorting things, plus my brain needs to get the hang of the kind of lens. If I've seen significant improvement by Monday I'll sign up for the other eye to be done Weds. Otherwise between my doc and my own already scheduled vacation time/tickets bought, etc., it would be late August. So still hopeful. Apparently I"m already at 20/40 in the good spots and could get better as the swelling goes down. Well, more later in the week.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Progress report---hoping this will be useful to anyone else considering this kind of surgery, or for your parents--so, much improvement by Monday in the left eye...up to 20/30 and can read fine print that has good crisp contrast. Still not able to read light pencil marks on a crossword (my SO and I love to do crosswords in bed and exchange them to help each other, so that's important!). So did the other eye this am, and am going through the same blurriness with it. But already it is meshing better and faster than the first eye did... I think I'm going to be glad I did this. I am going to have some problem with night driving for a while I think tho...lots of glare, caused by the surgery scarring...this will be lasiked off later, but not for a few months for insurance reasons. Crossing my fingers, but this seems to have been the right decision for me, so far.

Great news, PWS, and I'm impressed you can see well enough to type already. Good luck with the healing on this second eye, but it sounds like you're already healing quicker. I'm a crossword and cryptogram nut, so I appreciate the importance of being able to read pencil scribblings. Of course, you could always do them in black ink.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Great news, PWS, and I'm impressed you can see well enough to type already. Good luck with the healing on this second eye, but it sounds like you're already healing quicker. I'm a crossword and cryptogram nut, so I appreciate the importance of being able to read pencil scribblings. Of course, you could always do them in black ink.
    Yeah, right, black ink!! We're good, but we aren't that good!
    Computer work actually seems to be good for healing the eye... probably because I'm interested enough in FORT to persist in reading...and the print/contrast is a little bit bigger/better than a book. So the brain is getting lots of practice in integrating the different parts of the lenses.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Cataract surgery with bifocal lenses

Just thought I'd update this since I see some comments on this type of surgery on the LASIK thread. It's now been over a year, and my vision is still gradually improving....I don't know notice, but my S.O. does. And my doctor of course. Definitely in the 20/20 range for both near and far in the doctor's office. In real life I still can't read as well in very dim light as I used to when I was incredibly nearsighted (that crossword puzzle in pencil thing), but it's better. And I still see halos around headlights...a series of concentric rings. But that's gotten much less annoying--I'm quite comfortable driving in my neighborhood even at night now--I may have a little less night vision, but that may just be aging. I still wouldn't want to drive in NYC at night, or down the Vegas strip, but for my real life it's been terrific. So, wheeee!! No glasses for anything, for the first time since 4th grade!! Still tending to poke myself in the face "pushing up my (imaginary) glasses" though, and reaching to take them off before I shower.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just thought I'd update this thread in case a new group of people are becoming eligible for cataract surgery, to give you my long term opinion. It's really worked well for me. The glare from lights continues to be ever much less annoying although when I think about it, or when I'm in a very glare producing place (e.g., above mentioned Vegas Strip) it would be a problem, and I still have those faint pencil on crossword problems, but other than that, it's perfect. Obviously only get it from someone who is experienced, but something to bring up if you are going for cataract surgery. Among our friends I'm the only one who doesn't have to whip out reading glasses at restaurants. And I see from my Sig. Other how irritating it can be to always have to remember to bring reading glasses along. Not my problem! I guess I will start to get crowsfeet now though--previously none as my glasses always prevented sun damage around my eyes.
    PS I think I called this thread bifocal, but it is really more trifocal lenses.

I didn't know this thread existed. I have had cataract surgery on both eyes. I was an odd case though because I had previously had lasik surgery to correct my poor vision. I had chosen mono-vision (one eye for near and the other for distance) for the lasik correction and life was really wonderful for the first time since I was a young child for a few years.
    Then I began to develop catacacts early and they grew quickly. My doctor tried his best to give me the same wonderful vision I had with lasik but due to the physical changes of my eye, I now need additional aid.

I still opted for mono vision but have to wear a soft contact in my distance eye to achieve 20/20. Even then, it sometimes takes awhile for my brain to adjust doing this mono vision. I don't think they had the bi-focal choice then.

Someday as more lasik patients age, they'll probably have better ways to achieve better results. I have my yearly checkup coming soon so maybe I'll ask about it.
    Isn't it wonderful the advances they have made in this area?! I"m so glad yours are working well.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4160304;
    Just thought I'd update this thread in case a new group of people are becoming eligible for cataract surgery, to give you my long term opinion. It's really worked well for me. The glare from lights continues to be ever much less annoying although when I think about it, or when I'm in a very glare producing place (e.g., above mentioned Vegas Strip) it would be a problem, and I still have those faint pencil on crossword problems, but other than that, it's perfect. Obviously only get it from someone who is experienced, but something to bring up if you are going for cataract surgery. Among our friends I'm the only one who doesn't have to whip out reading glasses at restaurants. And I see from my Sig. Other how irritating it can be to always have to remember to bring reading glasses along. Not my problem! I guess I will start to get crowsfeet now though--previously none as my glasses always prevented sun damage around my eyes.
    PS I think I called this thread bifocal, but it is really more trifocal lenses.
    My experience with cataract surgery has been the same. I had both eyes done in the Fall. I used to need distance glasses for driving, and readers for close work. Now, I don't need any!

But I never to out without sunglasses (on sunny days). According to my eye doc, no one should. And don't forget the sunscreen!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4165837;
    My experience with cataract surgery has been the same. I had both eyes done in the Fall. I used to need distance glasses for driving, and readers for close work. Now, I don't need any!

But I never to out without sunglasses (on sunny days). According to my eye doc, no one should. And don't forget the sunscreen!
    That's interesting---I thought the danger of sun to eyes was in the creation of cataracts---obviously that can't be the problem now---why does the doc say the sun is bad for your eyes now?
    Glad it worked as well for you as for me!
    dragonlady, I didn't know lasik would have that effect....guess I'm glad I never had it....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast