+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Peapod (home grocery delivery)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Thanks tots. I checked it out and it's pretty expensive; $33.99 for orders of $100 - $125 and delivery time is 3 - 7 days. But maybe that's the going rate?

Jewels, no, that's steep. I think for Peapod it's like 10 bucks up if you spend less than $100, and $7 if you spend more.

Oh, and you get your order the next day.

Yeah, scratch THAT. I pay $5 per for my Safeway deliveries.

ETA: Jewels, if you're still in SC, I see that safeway.com delivers there now.
    Last edited by totoro; 06-08-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'm in Aptos now, and it looks like I'm at the cut-off. The good thing is, they weren't even delivering to Santa Cruz two years ago, so it should be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Do you all make a list, and if so, do you follow it closely? I shop at Kroger and know the store well enough that I make my list in order, by aisles.
    I always make a list, but I tend to forget all about it once I'm in the store. I'll have jotted down bananas on the list, say, but end up getting mangoes instead. Or, we had planned on making a pasta dinner but the fish looks so good that I end up with salmon. Happens all the time. I'm an impulsive shopper. Part of the allure.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Do you all make a list, and if so, do you follow it closely? I shop at Kroger and know the store well enough that I make my list in order, by aisles.
    Same here Mudah, we make a list and I go by the aisles so that I don't "forget" anything. We usually remember other things we want or "need" while we are there as well but definitely have the list for things we can't forget.

I thought I'd check into the delivery services here but didn't find anything. I think the Randall's in Austin probably delivers but since I'm out of the city limits, maybe it didn't come up on my search?

MRD
    I don't mind it much if I go alone. It's the two hour visit that annoys the crap out of me. How many times does one need to read the same labels on the same products?.
    OK, I now have to tell this story. Good thing it wasn't your husband Muduh that I did this too.

I don't mind shopping, let me preface that. I like to look at all the cool food and since I like to cook and stuff, I don't mind shopping as long as its not Walmart. I too have a store near me so its not too bad. But when I have a list and its crowded, I like to get in and out like Muduh.

I was shopping with my mom. She was riding one of the stores motorized scooters as she was fairly sick at the time and she had taken off on her own, so I didn't even know where in the store she was. The store was supercrowded (tourist season in Florida, they all like to hang out in the grocery store for some reason) and the aisles were literally like roadways with lines of carts going up the aisle and down the aisle. You had to wait for the person in front of you to move, to move yourself. I LOVE tinned smoked oysters and I was told that it would be good for my anemia as well, so I was on the aisle where they have the canned tuna and other seafood. I waited and waited and waited patiently for this women to read each and every tuna can (how hard is it? water or oil packed, albacore or regular, geez. This was before you could even get the pouches and the flavors like now) So finally she bends over to get to the tuna cans near the bottom of the shelf and I reach over her to grab a couple cans of oysters and don't you know that I knocked them all off the shelf and several bounced off her head. I was SO embarrassed, but also frustrated as she had about 10 other people held up while she commited the labels to memory. I apologized profusely and got the heck out of there to the next aisle. That aisle was empty except for a stock girl and my mom. So I say to my mom: "Mother, hurry up and finish, I have to get out of here, its too crowded". She says to me (much to the amusement of the stockgirl) "Don't call me Mother, I don't want anyone to know I'm with you. I saw what you just did on the other aisle!!!!"

So now of course everyone knows about this and I get teased all the time for throwing cans of oysters at senior citizens. Although, there are times since then that it has occured to me that it might be in my favor to continue the practice.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Funny story! I love that one.

Reminds me of the time that my husband accidently hit the horn when a senior citizen, with a cane, was walking across the street. My sons girlfriend was in the car and forever kidded my husband about blowing for the old guy to get out of the way. At least he didn't "throw" anything at him.

I think that the delivery service is great for people who are very busy, have no transportation or may be in poor health. Another service that I see advertised here is ready made meals that are delivered to your door. Not take out, but stuff that is cooked, frozen and ready to heat and eat. Many of the selections sound delicious.

MRD
    there is a place near here called Dinner Done. You go, they have all the ingredients for 8 or 16 meals (8 meals for 6 people or 16 meals for 3 people for $139) set up in stations. They have bought it all, washed it, chopped it and you go station to station and put it together. They have all the packaging and instructions for cooking. You then take it home, put it in your freezer and you have dinner done for 16 days of the month.
    They have about 12-15 items and you choose the ones you want to make. My cousin does this and loves it. Says it takes her about 2 hours one night a month, the produce and meat are good quality and the recipes are delicious and all she has to do is pop it in the oven when she gets home from work (frozen) and cook it, add a salad or vegetable and she doesn't have to slave over dinner when she's tired after work.

You can also buy the meals already pre-done for you for a higher price and just pick them up and take home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234