+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peapod (home grocery delivery)

I like to go grocery shopping. Yeah, it's only for one person but I want to pick out the meat I'm buying myself. I want to squeeze the tomatoes and check the freshness of the produce. Even when I was married (damn that looks scary ) or have been living with several in the home, I've never minded shopping.

Allright John, if you're going to eat a burger you need to get out of your room and earn it by walking there! [/momlecture]

We have cafecourier.com here in Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    I like to go grocery shopping. Yeah, it's only for one person but I want to pick out the meat I'm buying myself. I want to squeeze the tomatoes and check the freshness of the produce. Even when I was married (damn that looks scary ) or have been living with several in the home, I've never minded shopping.
    While grocery shopping isn't my favorite thing to do, I'm quite picky. I don't want someone else fondling my produce, either.

This is a great idea for those who are unable (or don't want to) to get groceries for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    www.grubhub.com - it's a site that's in Chicago, and some other cities. You enter your street address, and it shows you which restaurants are open for delivery near you, and then you can bring up scanned-in menu pages for each of those restaurants. So, if I'm in the mood for burgers, I can pull up all the burger menus, make a phone call, and I'm good to go.

They should definitely expand that to more cities. I'd love to use it when I travel.
    Thanks. They used to, and may still, have a service like that in Memphis. My son and his coworkrs used it for lunch some. The only experience I've had with food delivery is pizza or Steak Out.

Unk, you need to come visit us and go shopping with my husband. He loves to read labels and squeeze the tomatoes. He is retiring in a couple of months and I really dread our shopping trips. I like to go, grab and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post

I'm the same way. I actually like shopping for groceries - even when I was a kid, I always insisted on accompanying my parents to the supermarket. It's a semi-magic place for me: all the foods and beverages you've never tasted, the vibrant colours of the fruit and vegetables, the magazines by the check-out counter... Whenever I'm abroad, I always try to visit a supermarket to get a feel of what kind of foods are enjoyed there. Might I add that I was in heaven when I first stepped into an American supermarket? Man, you guys have some serious options! All those different types of cereal and sodas (two of my basic food groups) I'd never heard of. I'm usually the one who picks up the groceries for me and my boyfriend. Like Unk, I like squeezing the veggies, making sure I get nice and fresh ingredients for dinner. My enthusiasm tends to wear off once I've reached the cash register, though, but not enough for me to stop - gasp! - enjoy shopping. I'm the same way with most shopping. While I get most of my books and CD's online because it's cheaper and more convenient, there's nothing like strolling around in an actual store, taking your time to browse before you make up your mind.

Considering most people's stunned reactions when I tell them that I enjoy something as mundane as shopping for everyday supplies, I take it that grocery shopping is just a hassle for most people. I can see why home grocery delivery services are convenient, but I think I'll stick to doing the shopping myself. Wouldn't want to get rid of one of my most relished hobbies...

To be fair, though, I should probably add that I live about 30 seconds away from a decent size grocery store, so picking up groceries isn't much of a hassle for me. I just need to step out of my apartment building, walk a few feet, and I'm there. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had to turn my grocery shopping into a road trip.

Anyone else besides Unk and myself (and Muduh's husband ) who actually enjoys shopping for groceries?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

Anyone else besides Unk and myself (and Muduh's husband ) who actually enjoys shopping for groceries?
    I like grocery shopping too! My boyfriend and I go every Sunday night to the grocery store - it's like one of those mundane things that we like to do together. Sometimes it's for a lot of stuff and sometimes it's a short trip. But he drives the cart and I shop for the items, and he gives his input as to what products he likes or doesn't, and what he'd like to try and whatnot.

The only negative is the monster size kids carts and the kids that run all over the place with their parents not watching them.

I never really liked grocery shopping, but I didn't mind it until I moved to Chicago. Even in what's considered off-hours, it's forever packed, the lines are long, the self-checkout is often broken (in that you'll have at least a few things that won't register either with the scanner or when you put it in your bag, and it holds the entire transaction up until an employee comes and clears the machine) and it's a ridiculous hassle. If I ever live anywhere else smaller, I'd probably go back to shopping for myself, but while I'm here, I'm all about Peapod.

I don't mind it much if I go alone. It's the two hour visit that annoys the crap out of me. How many times does one need to read the same labels on the same products? Would they have changed drastically since last week? I can go and buy a weeks groceries for us, plus most of what the grandkid needs at his house and still be out in less than forty five minutes. And I spend way less money, too.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I also really like grocery shopping. I usually get up early and go in the morning to get it done.

Don't get me wrong, I also have days were I am at the grocery store and I want to murder people who are pushing their carts crazy, the long lines, and the incompetent people who work at the Starbucks who can't get my drink order right. Most of the time I do enjoy it though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast