+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where were you, what were you doing when RFK was assassinated June 5, 1968?

I was born in Detroit in 1960, and lived for 10 years a block off of Mack Avenue in one of the burbs. I was 3 when JFK died and have no recollection of it. I was 8 when both MLK and RFK were assassinated and tend to blur the two of them together. And both memories are tied very closely to the Detroit Riots of 1967.

My parents must not have paid much attention to the news in those days because we didn't hear about any of them until the afternoon the following day. Because of the riots of 1967, after both 1968 assassinations the Detroit area was put on a strict curfew.

I remember being appalled that anyone would do such a thing, and being impressed with Rosey Grier for tackling Sirhan Sirhan.

The other event that I tie together with the riots and these two assassinations is the Detroit Tigers (and Denny McLean) winning the World Series in 1968. Somehow that is attributed with helping heal the city. I never quite understood that.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Premium Member
    I was 13 and was helping teach Bible School at my church. I remember being really worried about life in general with this happening so soon after the assassination of MLK. I saved every newspaper clipping I could find on RFK that summer.

veejer, nothing is as devastating as seeing tanks rolling down the streets of your city or knowing that you have to be in the house at dark. And the looting and rioting were so scary that I refused to let the tv be turned on when the kids were up.

Memphis was not the place to be, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    veejer, nothing is as devastating as seeing tanks rolling down the streets of your city or knowing that you have to be in the house at dark. And the looting and rioting were so scary that I refused to let the tv be turned on when the kids were up.

Memphis was not the place to be, for sure.
    Fortunately, I never saw any tanks in Detroit in 1967. Just helicopter gunships flying overhead. I clearly remember the curfew was 7pm, way before dark in the summertime. One evening my mom was out talking to a neighbor at about 6:55 and I was tugging on her trying desperately to get her to come inside. In my 7-year old mind I was sure that the police would drive down our street at exactly 7pm and arrest my mom. I remember it being desperately hot and not having airconditioning, the windows were open and I heard the sirens all night long.

A couple of funny memories though. My sisters, ages 12 and 14, were away at camp in Western Michigan. My parents didn't want to scare them so didn't mention anything about the riots in their letters to them. Of course, no one else's parents did that. My oldest sister was quite upset at the thought of these massive riots going on in Detroit and her parents were clueless about them.

The other incident didn't happen until the summer of 69 or 70. We had a huge thunderstorm roll through on a Saturday morning, with heavy downpours. One of those storms that rolls through and then the weather is gorgeous, sunny and warm afterwards. We were outside and all of a sudden the storm sewer in the street geysered about 10-15 feet in the air, taking the manhole cover with it. Someone went and got their hipwaders and replaced the cover. Later that day we were going to a wedding at a church a little ways into Detroit. Normally we would have taken Mack Avenue, but it was all blocked off. During the riots a lot of the manhole covers in Detroit had been bolted down to prevent them being used as weapons. They were still bolted down, so when the sewers there overflowed, the force of the water couldn't get out and Mack Avenue was totally buckled. It was quite a sight to see.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I was in utero - I was born the following January.

I was 16 days old and probably sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    Or eating
    Or pooping
    Or crying

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    If you'd have been my daughter, you wouldn't have been doing that. I don't think she slept the first year.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Muduh and Stargazer!

I was born Feb.8,1968....4 months old...so I was either crying,pooping,eating or sleeping in my crib...lol!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123