+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where were you, what were you doing when RFK was assassinated June 5, 1968?

I wasn't born yet, either.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    OK, this is officially the old fogey thread! I watched it live on TV with my friends--we'd had an election party at someone's house...whether or not to vote for RFK was a hotly contested issue among the folks I hung out with. I was stunned... and yet not...as it wasn't the first... it just began to seem as if anytime anyone took the lead they were cut down.
    One thing that stuck in my mind was that there was a Latina campaign worker interviewed who was in hysterics thinking that the killer was a Mexican... she'd only seen him, hadn't heard his name, etc. Made me think about how we think we "know" what people look like....

I was only 2. Probably in my sandbox.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Truth be told, I didn't pay much attention to RFK's assassination. I'd graduated from high school, got my first job and met mr. gracie the week before. I knew it had happened and was saddened by the whole thing especially following so soon after MLK, but I guess I was on sensory overload. I do remember Roosevelt Grier being there and pushing people away and the looks of shock on the people around him.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    We've been through this before, sonny, and I don't feel any sorrier for you this time around.

Muduh , yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    OK, this is officially the old fogey thread! I watched it live on TV with my friends--we'd had an election party at someone's house...whether or not to vote for RFK was a hotly contested issue among the folks I hung out with. I was stunned... and yet not...as it wasn't the first... it just began to seem as if anytime anyone took the lead they were cut down.
    One thing that stuck in my mind was that there was a Latina campaign worker interviewed who was in hysterics thinking that the killer was a Mexican... she'd only seen him, hadn't heard his name, etc. Made me think about how we think we "know" what people look like....
    Thank God you're here! I was beginning to feel like some sort of pervert hanging with all these kids.

The assassination of Robert Kennedy seemed like a tasteless joke at first. No one could believe that it had actually happened.

I was 6 years old. I remember my mom being in tears. I don't remember a lot about it, but I really remember the moonwalk, and a couple years later the Amchitka bomb scare. I thought the whole west coast was going to be wiped out by a tidal wave. How random is that? Parents really need to watch what and how they discuss issues around little kids!!

I was 11 years old and remember being in school that day. I was so sad when it happened because I thought he was a prince. Not literally a prince, but you know what I mean.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    Why do I feel like the oldest person on these boards?
    There are times I feel like that too. But Gabriel, you are only 4 years older than me, so that's not much. And Qboots is in our age range as well. So its not so bad. Is it????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I was eight and we had just moved to Canada from Rhodesia so there was a lot of stuff going on that I was trying to keep track of, but I do remember that my idiot right-wing father was pleased, though ironically a few years later he was deeply disappointed when Canada beat Russia in that apparently important hockey game.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast