+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yard Sales!

Yard Sales!

I just stumbled upon an older thread here about the outrageous prices some posters have paid for luxuries, I was just wondering.. on the flip side what have you gotten for a song?

Do you have any good yard sale stories? purchases? experiences?

This past weekend hubby and I had our first yard sale ever. We had about 300 sq feet of STUFF taking up space in our basement - it was time to clear it out.
    The day turned out sunny and nice so everyone was in a fantastic mood. It was a very pleasant experience for us. We were only supposed to be out there from 9 - 1 but people kept coming and they kept buying so we didn't actually close things down until 4pm!
    We sold about 3/4 of our stuff and made $300.00 (which is going towards a new computer YAY!) Charity will be here tomorrow to take the rest of the stuff away.
    One lady told me that our's was the nicest yard sale she'd been to all day - the other people were just selling junk

the thing that kind of surprised me was the women going crazy over shoes - mine and my daughter's out grown shoes. We sold every single pair! I was shocked.
    If we every accumulate that much stuff again I wouldn't hesitate to hold another yard sale.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD
    My only problem with yard sales is when people charge outrageous prices for something and then say: "Hey, I paid $50 for this new". Well, you used it and now its in a yard sale and I'm not paying $30 for it. It's a yard sale for gosh sakes!

I've had some good ones in the past and priced my itmes to sell. Did NOT want to have to deal with the leftovers.

Can't think of a best bargain, but I used to collect tea cups and i could get them for about 50 cents at yard sales. Not anymore.

Hubby's latest toy he is totally fascinated with he got at a yard sale. It's one of those steamers that clean anything. He got it for $5 and now he's been cleaning the bathrooms with it. He loves it! (hey, I don't have to scrub the toilet anymore until the new wears off this thing)

We had a yard sale once. Everything in the driveway laid out on tables, etc. This man comes and asks: "You got any kayaks?"
    I wanted to say: Do you SEE any kayaks? They're not exactly hard to hide"

Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm always amazed at what folks buy. No way would I wear, or let my kids wear, used shoes. They always seem to be a huge hit though. My son has yard sales occasionally and usually makes about what you did. Last time he let the kid sell some toys that he had outgrown. Then he divided the money and put half in the kid's account and took him to spend the rest on new toys and games. I need to have one, since you can't get through my garage.

I need to have a yard sale this year - never had one before and have sooooo much stuff. Wouldn't have guessed about the shoes, so I'll make sure to include those. We hit the yard sales occasionally and always get too much stuff we don't need. I did get a really nice white (pristine) crocheted bedcover/blanket for $5 that I absolutely love. Jewelry is fun. I got an African thumb piano 25 years ago for a quarter that is the favorite toy in my classroom, so that is probably the best value. How many ones and quarters should I plan on having?
    Count your blessings!

I've had a couple of yard sales and made quite a bit of money. I would have one again, but I just can't allow unwanted goods to accumulate in my house any more, so Goodwill has been reaping the benefits of my endlessly changing style. Up to now, anyway - I have found what works best for me and Mr. Rattus and we're sticking with it.

I've found two great bargains over the years - one at a yard sale and one at a flea/antique market. At the annual Cabbagetown Festival, at which nearly every house in Cabbagetown has a sale, I bought a bike trailer for $40. The model I bought goes for close to $300 new, so we were pretty happy with that. The item I bought at the flea market was the culmination of six months of searching for the right piece of furniture. I was looking for a console table to place in front of the living room window so the boys could sit and watch the great outdoors (or the side of the neighbour's house, anyway) and the first one I found that I liked cost $1,200. Very nice, but I felt I should keep looking. The second one I found cost $800. Keep looking. The next one, $400. Aaannnddd keep looking. So we went to the Aberfoyle Market and immediately spotted a lovely folding table (Chippendale? something like that) for $250 that would have done the trick, though it wasn't quite in keeping with the rest of the livingroom furniture. After poking about for a couple of hours, we found a lady's desk from about the '30s that fit perfectly, in size and in style, going for $45. Bingo, we have a winner.

These two deals keep me heading out to yard sales and flea markets even though 99% of everything is crap.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'm having a yard sale in a couple of weeks, and I know we're going to be offering great deals. Thanks for the tip on the shoes, Dux, I have a ton of girls' shoes I can sell.

I'm not sure how much to mark on some stuff that's NOT junk - for instance, I have a Fisher Price baby swing (the portable kind) that was bought brand-new for around $90. It's in perfect condition. What do I charge for something like that?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

my best score at a yard sale has to still be the 40 cookbooks I got (including a full set of Southern Living's Southern Heritage cookbooks) that I paid $15 for, including the bookcase.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'm having a yard sale in a couple of weeks, and I know we're going to be offering great deals. Thanks for the tip on the shoes, Dux, I have a ton of girls' shoes I can sell.

I'm not sure how much to mark on some stuff that's NOT junk - for instance, I have a Fisher Price baby swing (the portable kind) that was bought brand-new for around $90. It's in perfect condition. What do I charge for something like that?
    The thing about yard sales is, no matter what you charge people are going to think it's too much. Per my post above, I bought a $300 bike trailer (the kind for carting kids around) for $40 and I sold a barely used $700 treadmill for $30, and the one person who was interested in that hemmed and hawed, went away and came back, and finally bought it after trying to bargain the price down. Personally, I probably wouldn't ask for more than, say, $15 for the swing, if that much, but then again I've never been in the market for baby stuff so I don't know what its second-hand value is.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Texi, you know I would have been on that deal, too. Once I was doing a benefit craft and junk show for the Humane Society when a lady came in with a big box of old coolbooks. I was picking out the ones I wanted when she gave me a great price on the whole box. She asked if I'd like to see more of them, and then brought another box. That was mine, too.

Maybe my best bargain to date was a small antique secretary that I bought in a "Junque" store about forty years ago, for $15. I was once offered $385 for it. If I ever really, really need money maybe I can find that person again.

wow nice score Texi!

AJ I was reading a website that suggested a good starting point for yard sale pricing is 1/3 of the purchase price and you negotiate from there.
    My husband was literally giving things away - I was a little bit miffed but it was funny ..he started doing it just to get my goat.
    We offered just about everything for $1 -$2 and the bigger things had their own prices.
    A hand crafted doll cradle went for $20, a Fisher Price vanity set for $20 a Little Tikes HUGE toy box for $30.
    Gutmutter in Canada we use $1 and $2 coins. I had 25 of each to start with and I never ran out. There were only about 8 $20 to make change for. Oh and we took 1 cheque - but it was from our neighbour 2 doors down - she spent $50 and we know where she lives LOL so it wasn't a problem.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast