+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faux Tans

Faux Tans

Well, the sunshine is sure to come any day now, and I'm like a "pasty cat" I used to go to tanning booths, but they're too expensive for me now. And I can't say I'm up to standing in a booth being sprayed by tanning liquids.

So, does anyone know of and tried, successfully, any of the tanning cream/lotion products on the market now in drug stores? What brands have you had success with and any tips about what to do or what not to do? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Also, just for fun, do you like having tan lines or not? I use to hate lines, so I would tan in a booth so I would be line-free . My sweetie has said he thinks that tanning lines are sexy. I've heard other men say the same thing. But I dont don't clothes look kinda funny when lines show in the wrong places?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    misskitty, I'm like you. I love to have a tan, but don't do the tanning booth thing anymore. It took me a few years to realize that it is really bad for you. I've thought of using the mistic tan, but you have to make sure you don't get wet for AT LEAST 4 hours....that's not for me, plus it is super expensive. I use Jergens Natural Glow. It's more of a moisturizer with a tint to it. If you use it everyday, you should see results.

I didn't like tan lines either, but hubby thinks they are sexy. And now with me not doing the tanning booth, I don't have much of a choice
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

CC, how long do you have to use it before you see results, does it leave those nasy orange marks if you don't apply it just right, and does it last for a few days if you forget to reapply every day? I have lots of questions... I'm just tired of buying faux tanners that make you look orange.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Premium Member
    I just tried the new Dove Energy Glow lotion and I think it's the best I've tried so far. I've used the Jergens too, and I liked it, but the Dove seems to be more even and natural looking. I noticed a "tan" with just one application, I used the medium but it also comes in light. I stopped doing tanning beds years ago, it's just so hard on your skin and I think those deep fake tans look so awful.

Fort Member
    Spray tans are big business here and relatively cheap. Alot of the girls in my office do it on a regular basis about once a month. A couple of them developed rashes when one of the places changed their product and they do occassionally look a bit orange. Tanning beds are all but extinct, it is drummed into us on an almost daily basis how we have the largest number of skin cancer deaths in the world, so people are more weary of tanning beds as much as they are the sun itself.
    I am content with being pale but if i am going out and planning on wearing something revealing i will use Johnsons & Johnsons Holiday skin. Its a body lotion moisturiser with a bit of self tanning lotion in it. It takes about three applications and you get a nice natural looking light tan and your skin feels soft and smooth. Dont need to wear gloves when applying but do need to wash hands straight after application.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    Spray tans are big business here and relatively cheap. Alot of the girls in my office do it on a regular basis about once a month. A couple of them developed rashes when one of the places changed their product and they do occassionally look a bit orange.
    I'm glad you posted this because it confirms my suspicion that a small rash I have on my stomach was caused by the spray tan I got just before I left for my cruise. The rash wasn't there prior and my first day on the cruise I noticed it and wondered how I got it. I started thinking I got some weird cruise ship contagion but wondered if it was the spray tan. My husband got the spray also but didn't get a rash.

The tan wasn't too expensive but I hated the smell and the tan didn't last 5-7 days like they said it would. More like 2-3 days. And we chose medium but it looked light to me. Maybe because we were so pale to begin with.

Tanning beds are still big where I live. One of my SIL's goes all the time and has been for years. I prefer laying out in the sun for about an hour (30 min. on each side) and getting a gradual tan. An hour may be damaging but there are reports that 10-15 minutes of natural sun each day is good for you.

I have the Jergens lotion but haven't stuck with it to see if it works. I got the one for faces too. It smells a little odd but I think I might give it a try again.

Don't waste your money ordering those tanning wipes advertised on an infomercial. I don't remember the name of them off hand but it takes about 3 - 4 wipes just to do one body if you do all over and not just your legs and arms. They also dry out very quickly once you open the package. And they do leave streaks if you're not careful.

I've been using the 'Neutrogena Instant Bronze' tanner. It's a foam type product. I find that it gives you a bronze color instantly. It's easy to apply, and it does last longer than some products.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    CC, how long do you have to use it before you see results, does it leave those nasy orange marks if you don't apply it just right, and does it last for a few days if you forget to reapply every day? I have lots of questions... I'm just tired of buying faux tanners that make you look orange.

Dinahann, it doesn't leave orange marks and doesn't rub off. I used it for about a week before I noticed a difference. The only problem I have with it is that through out the day, I noticed my skin kind of smells like you do when you get out of a tanning bed (you know that burnt skin smell) It might be my imagination since I made my hubby smell my skin on a daily basis and he couldn't smell anything

Marleybone, do you like the Dove one the best out of all the ones you have tried? You really noticed a difference in one application?
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

combatcutie, I've used the Jergen's and I've noticed the smell too. I get the orange streaks though if I'm not careful to rub it all in evenly. Now that the weather is warmer, I won't have to use anything. My skin tans pretty easily and I rarely burn.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I won't sit in the sun nor bake in a tanning booth, so I've tried several of the self-tanners. Jergens is so far the best one I've tried. Don't bother with the expensive ones (Clinique, Lancome) as they don't work any better than the drugstore stuff. I recently bought the Neutrogena spray, haven't tried it yet though. I didn't know Dove had one or I probably would have bought it (it may not be available up here, kitty, I haven't seen it - but let me know if you find it).

ETA: Re the Jergens smell - it didn't bother me but some of my co-workers who also used it really hated it.

I did the Mystic Tan (spray booth) once too - it worked great for me and lasted a long time (I thought it looked darker and lasted longer BECAUSE I was so pasty white ). You do have to be careful to not let the stuff cake into elbows and fingers, or it will look really, really bad. Speaking from experience.

I bought a very good, oil-free sunscreen from Sephora (30 SPF) and that's what I'll be using this summer.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast