+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faux Tans

I talked to a very nice lady today at the cosmetics counter. She said what happened was I probably have dryer skin than normal and so the gel absorbed differently. The gel is apparently better for oily skin. She suggested the lotion instead. So I have some new Life brand lotion in a medium not a dark and that should help me even out somewhat. She said the difference in prices (close to $4 in brands is just for the brand names...they basically use the same ingredients, different additives like fragrance). It doesn't seem to have a smell, so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Archie, or anyone else that uses the dove, as the day goes on do you think you skin smells kind of burnt? I know the Jergen's smells like that
    The smell does change after a couple of hours, but it's not nearly as unpleasant as the harsh, chemical smell I usually associate with tanning products. It's more like the way your skins smells when you've been out in the sun for a few hours, which to me isn't bad at all.

I have to say, though, I feel a bit sheepish telling everyone the secret of my sudden tan. Everyone who knows me also knows that it usually takes weeks for me to get a proper tan. Add to that the fact that it's been raining for over the week, and it's no surprise that the first thing people say when they see me these days isn't "Hey, how you've been?" or any of the usual stuff, but rather "OMG, you're tan!". With something akin to amazement in their voices.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Re: Faux Tans

Thought it was time to bump this thread. I was outside today sitting in the sun while the kitties munched on some fresh grass and noticed how WHITE my legs are! I mean, white white white as snowwhite white! Yikes.

Gotta search through my drawers for summer tanning lotion.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I decided to go to the tanning bed I know, it's not good for you. But I only went a couple of months last summer and will only go a month or two this year as well. Once I get the base tan going I'll get the rest of my sun outside. And because I got a nice tan last year, I still had enough color to hold me over the winter so that I'm not starting out stark white this year like I did last time, which I hope cuts down on the amount of time I'll have to spend going to the tanning bed. I also have all my self-tanning lotions from last year. I wonder if they go bad after time.

I'm in the minority, but I use a tanning bed for about 4 weeks before pool season to get a base tan. I'm poolside most of the summer and use sunscreen because while I don't burn in the booth, I tend to burn in the sun if I'm not careful. I never really get brown, either. More of a golden color.

I've used the Jergens in the winter when I had a wedding and I hated the smell. I've tried the spray tan, too but hated it because it rubbed off of my feet first where my sandals rubbed it and it looked disgusting.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I wonder if they go bad after time.
    ACF - they do, just like sunscreens, regular suntan lotions, or even the accelerators used in tanning beds. It's usually a fairly long time before that happens, but it's a good idea to check. However, before I threw it out (some of that stuff is expensive!) I'd check the label - the use by dates are usually printed on there somewhere, and if not, test it out on an inconspicuous spot, wait a full 24 hours, and if it bronzed you without irritating the skin, I'd go ahead and use it.

I had a bad experience with this, which is why I am a stickler for checking dates on skin-care products... I had a bottle of sunscreen "expire" (okay, and I don't mean a few months or even a year out of date... it was in the catch-all drawer on the boat, and had been in the same drawer for probably four years...) on me once and got burned to a crisp. Also had a bottle of tanning accelerator go bad, before I knew they could expire. This was the worst, as it was an oxygenating accelerator that really got you brown brown once you reached your tanning bed plateau. Since I only used it a little bit at a time and only a little each year, I used it several years in a row - it was $80! I wasn't going to throw it out! But I guess it was old on the shelf anyway, and three years later it really started irritating my skin and turned it beet red with blisters...

I'm doing the tanning beds again this year. I haven't for about the past three years, but I am not going to sit by the pool white and fat. Since I can't do anything about the fat part within the next three weeks, I'll have to settle for getting a tan.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;1946557;
    I am really going to have to try this Dove one. I have heard nothing but good things about it. And it seems to work the fastest.
    Just a word of caution on this - I tried the Dove, because I also had heard very postive things. I should have known better than to try anything (not picking on Dove), because I have very sensitive skin.

I was in the shower within the hour after putting it on - I just itched so very badly. So, if you have white white sensitive (and I do mean sensitive) skin, be very cautious. If possible, try a tester, you'll know soon enough if you're going to have the sort of reaction I did.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Almost all sunless tanners make me itch and break out, but I often use them anyway at the beginning of summer so as not to blind people with my stunning paleness. This year, I tried Olay Touch of Sun radiance reviver. It was working great (this is just for a touch of color, not to get dark) and didn't even itch too much. Then I thought I was grabbing the same thing and ended up with Olay Age Transform, Skin Tone Equalizer. IT makes me darker and it really does even out every discoloration anywhere on my legs. However, it itches the daylights out of me. So I'm tempted to keep using it, but will probably have to stop.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2358694;
    Thought it was time to bump this thread. I was outside today sitting in the sun while the kitties munched on some fresh grass and noticed how WHITE my legs are! I mean, white white white as snowwhite white! Yikes.
    Hmfph! And just what is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2361467;
    Almost all sunless tanners make me itch and break out, but I often use them anyway at the beginning of summer so as not to blind people with my stunning paleness.
    So come sit next to me!

Actually, I used to force myself to tan which is probably why I look 7-8 years older than I am. Be warned, young people!
    These days, rather than waste my energy trying to fake or bake a tan, I have convinced myself that it's cool to be the whitest, lightest color I can be, accented with blue veins and the pale brown remains of freckles from my youth. All served on a scoop of cottage cheese.
    It's all in the attitude, ladies!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2364600;
    These days, rather than waste my energy trying to fake or bake a tan, I have convinced myself that it's cool to be the whitest, lightest color I can be, accented with blue veins and the pale brown remains of freckles from my youth. All served on a scoop of cottage cheese.
    It's all in the attitude, ladies!
    I love that!

+ Reply to Thread