+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faux Tans

I had a bad experience in high school with a self tanner (I showed up to a cheerleading competition completely orange ) so I'm forever scared of self-tanners.

I go the horrible way of just going to the tanning bed. I like it better though.

Before all of you preach though... to each their own, right?

Oh yes....I don't preach to people about it....to each his own.....I'm just not doing that to my skin is all....lol!
    Last edited by Mantenna; 06-04-2006 at 01:37 AM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    I had a bad experience in high school with a self tanner (I showed up to a cheerleading competition completely orange ) so I'm forever scared of self-tanners.
    I don't know how long ago that was, Callie, but the self-tanners have improved a lot. There is a huge choice of different products so you might be able to find something now that would work better for you. I think most of us who have used them probably have an "orange" story to tell, it's not pretty!

Indeed.....I used to get that "orangy" color years ago when I tried them....but Marley is right....they have come a long way!

Are tanning beds worse than the actual sun for you?

EvaLarueFan: I think that some tanning bed places do not warn people or know correct information when they sign you up. I believe that if it is a good newer version of a tanning bed, it is safer than being in the sun and being burnt very harshly.

I went to tanning beds to get a base of color before I went to hot vacation spots where I would definitely burn. But I think it should be cautioned that you can BURN in a tanning bed too. There are usually low and high frequency beds. You have to start out very short periods of time, on a low-frequency bed and work your way up if you can take it. Everyone is different. You MUST wear the goggles on your eyes, and you can wear your bathing suits on or not. Make sure they're cleaned well before and after you use it.

That's not to say you should stop using sunscreen when you are outside either. You still need protection from the suns' rays whether you have a tan already or not. A burn is a burn is a burn, whether you got it from the sun or a tanning bed. It's not good for your skin.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I totally agree with everything misskitty said. It took me a long time to work my way up (just Irish/English skin) and I started off at 6 mins. I'm up to 20 mins, but it's taken me awhile to get there. I go about twice a week, and it makes a real difference on how I feel. I feel happier, look healthier, and feel more comfortable with my body. Plus living in Michigan during the winter, it really helps with my seasonal depression I always get.

I've read recently -- perhaps on slate.com, I think -- that tanning beds aren't necessarily worse for you than real sun, because you can regulate them and you probably spend less time in a tanning bed than you would laying out in the sun.
    I've never been in one myself, and of course we've all seen the horror-shows of leathery-looking women who over-tan. But if you're going to tan one way or the other, and you don't overdo it, I wouldn't think a tanning bed is really any worse than the sun. Either one carries risks anyway.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

A quick report on my bronze gel experience.

It seemed to be easy enough to do but I did manage a few basic mistakes. I washed one hand more than the other (?) so one is darker. And I seem to have gathered extra tan around one heel on the botton of my foot. Which was rather dry. I did put plain lotion on those spots first, but probably not evenly. All in all, I have a bit of a sun-kissed look on my face and neck(which is always white). and a fairly even bit of browning on my body.

Unfortunately, the tube I grabbed was a strong solution so I'd suggest going with medium first. I'm going to do it one more time just to even things about a bit, but all in all I'm quite happy. The gel went on easily, and dried quickly and didn't get onto any clothes.

Even though I avoided a couple of places, I don't have any distinct tan lines.

I'm not going for a very dark look so this will be an easy maintenance type of glow. Since I bought a dark solution, I may just following up with a Light Jergans to keep up the look I want, with out getting darker.

All in all, I think it just takes a bit of practice, like most things. So far, no-one has said anything....but then again, I haven't seen anyone yet!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    So far, no-one has said anything....but then again, I haven't seen anyone yet!

Glad it seems to have gone well. I want to go out 1 day this week to buy a self tanner. I just have super sensitive skin and my acne prone face may react, I hope not.

I have decent color now from the great weather last week but I'd like ti avoid laying out in the sun as much as possible.

+ Reply to Thread