+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faux Tans

Marley!

The best one I've found so far is the Jergens, it gives me a really natural color (I am very pale) and I don't mind the smell. I like the Neutrogena Build-a-Tan too, but it tends to rub off a bit on my clothes if I use a lot if it. And the smell is a bit strong. Definitely use some body scrub and/or exfoliating gloves before using.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

giz
    I've been using L'Oreal Sublime Bronze. I suspect I look faintly orangeish, but it's better than the bluey white on my legs. I don't mind the rest of me being pale, but (to put it mildly) my legs are not my best feature, and so could do with a bit of a healthy glow to counteract the bruises and whatnot. Anyway, if I'm faintly orange I'm more likely to go out and get some real colour than if I had to brave the world in my natural state.

Wow! You guys are awesome!! I didn't expect such a great discussion. So now I have five great suggestions...and I'm sure like some of you mentioned it depends on your own skin and such. I tan pretty easily, but since I've been sick, I get very tired laying around in the heat. And now I have neighbors next door (seniors) and there's a very low fence. Not going there.

I'm going to see if I can smell some of your suggestions. I did buy a Jergens Natural Glow last summer, but it was light and I was inconsistent applying it and didnt' really see much of a change. I'd try it again though in a darker shade. The Dove, Neutrogena, Johnson&Johnson, and Coppertone are good suggestions. I agree that sometimes the big names and big dollars don't provide better results!

I let you know, AJane, if I can find the Dove up here. .

I'm glad no-one like the tanning wipes, because they seem more difficult to do.

Here's to looking healthy and having a healthy GLOW-ON this summer! (with tan lines for the fellas!)

E.T.A. Thanks giz for suggesting L'Oreal!
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-30-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I've tried several self-tanners. The most recent I've had was Coppertone's "endless summer", it's a sort of blue package and it's a foam. You squirt it out and it's part white stuff and part bronzer, so you can mix it on your hands and see where you're putting it. I thought it created a natural-looking color.

However, self-tanners always make me itch, and they smell weird the first day, and then once they start fading, on me at least they fade in patches, so I have to be very vigilant in reapplying it. and I'm lazy, so I haven't bothered yet this year.
    This is what I've used too, Lucy, and I agree with your assessment. It didn't make me itch, but definitely smells weird the first day. It can be expensive, but I was able to buy two bottles at a time at Costco, so that made it more reasonable. I haven't checked yet to see if they're carrying it again this year. One problem with it, is it takes about an hour to 'set,' so I make sure not to sit or rub on anything for at least an hour. I do like the color it gives me, though.

One of my daughter's friends raves about Estee Lauder's self tanner here
    http://www.esteelauder.com/templates...D=CATEGORY5870. She said it's the best she's used.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    I didn't like Estee Lauder, for as expensive as it was (back when I tried it I paid $25 or $30) it turned me orange. That just shows that different products work differently on different people. It's so nice now that there are so many products to choose from, and everybody should be able to find something that works for them.

A trick I read about once for getting the tanner on the back of your hands and then not washing it off, was to go ahead and wash your hands after applying to your body and then use a cosmetic wedge sponge to apply it to your hands. I've tried this and it works pretty good.

Premium Member
    Now you guys just need to post pictures of all your faux tanlines... you know, for research puproses so us guys can see if they're too orange or not. Hey, just trying to help out.

Actually, back in the day I did a lot of research on sunless tanning products and found that for me, you get what you paid for, and I ended up having the best results with the $30 for 7 oz of Au Courant Tanning Mousse with colour guide (the version with the bronze tint that washes off, but helps make sure you don't miss any areas when applying). The usual tricks of not showering before you apply, and making sure you aren't sweating when applying and first applying normal hand lotion to knees, elbows and other areas that tend to darken more worked perfectly. Applying with a sponge brush also seemed to improve results considerably! The smell of the Au Courant brand was not a hinderance, and I never had any streaks with that particular product (unlike with every other one I had tried) and it provided the most even tan all over, without any orange tinting. I was impressed. But wow, too much effort to apply and waiting around for hours before being able to shower made sunless tanning lotions more of a hassle than worrying about being out in the actual sun. And wow, I know just way too much about this, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I didn't like Estee Lauder, for as expensive as it was (back when I tried it I paid $25 or $30) it turned me orange. That just shows that different products work differently on different people. It's so nice now that there are so many products to choose from, and everybody should be able to find something that works for them.
    Yes it does show how we are all different. I know nothing about Estee Lauder, but I do know my daughter's friend gets it for free because her mother works for their corporate office.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz View Post
    Now you guys just need to post pictures of all your faux tanlines... you know, for research puproses so us guys can see if they're too orange or not. Hey, just trying to help out.
    You devil you, Mozz.

Actually, back in the day I did a lot of research on sunless tanning products and found that for me, you get what you paid for, and I ended up having the best results with...
    I'm curious, Mozz, did you shave your legs before using?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Yes, do tell, inquiring minds want to know. For, uh, research purposes.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Premium Member
    Originally Posted by roseskid
    You guys just couldn't let it go, could you? Sheesh!

I'll bet that he shaved, or waxed his chest so that he would look really nice when he tanned and oiled himself up for the weight lifting contest, or body building thing. Am I getting warm, Mozzz?

+ Reply to Thread