+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faux Tans

I've seen the Dove lotion here in our stores. I might try that one, too.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    combatcutie, I've used the Jergen's and I've noticed the smell too. I get the orange streaks though if I'm not careful to rub it all in evenly. Now that the weather is warmer, I won't have to use anything. My skin tans pretty easily and I rarely burn.

Oh I'm glad I'm not going crazy lildago. I knew I was right LOL...I'm like you, once the sun comes out of hibernation, I tan very easily, so I probably will only use a moisturizer (Body Drench is by far the best that I've used)
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I've tried several self-tanners. The most recent I've had was Coppertone's "endless summer", it's a sort of blue package and it's a foam. You squirt it out and it's part white stuff and part bronzer, so you can mix it on your hands and see where you're putting it. I thought it created a natural-looking color.

However, self-tanners always make me itch, and they smell weird the first day, and then once they start fading, on me at least they fade in patches, so I have to be very vigilant in reapplying it. and I'm lazy, so I haven't bothered yet this year.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The unfortunate thing about self-tanners is that they work differently on everyone. Lots of things come into play, such as skin type and application. For me, Neutragena works the best except for the one Lucy likes. That one was orange-streaky on me. It stinks because you generally have to try one before you find out if its good or not.

A website I found a few years ago compares products, tells you what they think the worst and best on the market is, and gives tips for applying, etc. There's TONS of great information there. It's http://www.sunless.com/index.php

ETA: Whoops, the one Lucy likes is Coppertone. Regardless, it didnt work on me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Marleybone, do you like the Dove one the best out of all the ones you have tried? You really noticed a difference in one application?
    Yes, I do. I've also used the Coppertone Effortless Color (the one in the brown bottle) which I really liked, and the Jergens, I've also used the Neutrogena foam stuff. I've also tried the high end brands like Clinique and Estee Lauder, and I hated them both. I've had far better luck with the less expensive products.

Dove is a lighter lotion, so it goes on really easily and I think that's why it's easier to avoid the streaks, it has a nice smell and I don't notice that stinky after smell nearly as much as with the other products. I was surprised to see the color after the first day because they advertise it as being a subtle change over time, but I really did notice it and it was a nice even, natural looking color. You do still need to wash your hands after putting it on. The first time I used it, I had already used my Neutrogena Body Oil right after I got out of the tub, then after I dried off I used the Dove lotion and I still got a really nice color with no streaks. I tend to get streaky around my ankles but not with this.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 05-30-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Me too, Marleybone. If the stuff tends to streak, I get them around the ankles or knees.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Me too, Marleybone. If the stuff tends to streak, I get them around the ankles or knees.
    I've found that if I put a little body lotion on my knees, ankles and elbows first, then I don't get the streaking quite as bad. It also is almost a must to exfoliate first. For me though, it's always been more a matter of just not getting the tanning lotion on evenly. It's hard when you can't see it, that was one reason that I liked the Coppertone Effortless Color, it was already a tan color so you could see where you were putting it. With the Dove, it looked kind of wet when I first put it on so I could kind of tell where it was going.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Marley, this is good to know. I think I may have to try this one. The smell from the Jergen's one is getting on my nerves
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I really appreciate this topic.
    I have vitiligo (you know, what M. Jackson has) - and my legs and arms have white blotches all over that will just burn. When I do manage to get a tan - it just makes it look worse.

Mystic tan evened it out, but I hate that process. Those little wipe things worked, but it took 3 to cover me, and it only lasted 2 days.

I tried the airbrush once (standing in my underwear while some kid sprayed me down) - not doing that again.

I really have to get out and try some more soon. I appreciate all the suggestions.

I get tired of long pants and sleeves.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2 View Post
    I tried the airbrush once (standing in my underwear while some kid sprayed me down) - not doing that again.
    I can't even imagine doing that. I would hate to be responsible for some kid needing therapy because he saw me in my underwear.

+ Reply to Thread