+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: headaches

giz, I know you don't drink pop, and these would be the only times I drink it, but I get frequent headaches and while OTC remedies never work for me, frequently a can of Coke will - with the full complement of sugar and caffeine. Diet and/or caffeine free do not work. Other people have told me that it works for them as well.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I had a killer sinus infection a few weeks ago (I'm sure I was whining about it in another thread ). I'd never had one before, had no idea what was going on, and mistakenly thought it was allergies - good thing I finally went to the doctor. I had to take antibiotics 4 times a day for two weeks but it cleared up quickly after I started the meds. You better go to the doctor asap, giz - you can get terribly ill if a sinus infection goes untreated. :nono
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Unless it's just so prohibitively expensive, I don't understand the aversion to seeking medical attention for a problem? I'd rather know for certain what ails me, than second guess and stress out further wondering. It could be a myriad of things.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

If you don't want to see your regular doctor, I'd find a free clinic or urgent treatment center to go to. If it is an infection of some sort, as Ajane said, it could be very dangerous. Though its likely stress (based on what you said), it could be many other things that are treatable.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Unless it's just so prohibitively expensive, I don't understand the aversion to seeking medical attention for a problem? I'd rather know for certain what ails me, than second guess and stress out further wondering. It could be a myriad of things.
    No, I'm Canadian, it's 100% free. It's just the wasting time that gets me. You go, they say come back in a week (or two) just so that we know it's real, you come back, they send you for tests, by the time the results come back invariably the condition has gone. I'm also kind of burned about doctors because for years I kept going in saying "I cough all the time, when I get up in the morning and before and after I eat, especially chocolate and coffee". Different doctors would say different things; stress, psychosomatic response, allergies, don't know etc. Turns out it was the build up to gastro-reflux disease, and if they'd caught it in time I might not now have to be on Nexium for the rest of my days. So I don't have much faith in their ability to diagnose anymore. I know I should go, but am just feeling pissy about it. And actually, I don't have a headache today!!

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    No, I'm Canadian, it's 100% free. It's just the wasting time that gets me. You go, they say come back in a week (or two) just so that we know it's real, you come back, they send you for tests, by the time the results come back invariably the condition has gone. I'm also kind of burned about doctors because for years I kept going in saying "I cough all the time, when I get up in the morning and before and after I eat, especially chocolate and coffee". Different doctors would say different things; stress, psychosomatic response, allergies, don't know etc. Turns out it was the build up to gastro-reflux disease, and if they'd caught it in time I might not now have to be on Nexium for the rest of my days. So I don't have much faith in their ability to diagnose anymore. I know I should go, but am just feeling pissy about it. And actually, I don't have a headache today!!
    My doctor diagnosed me on the spot, giz. I wouldn't recommend you let it go as long as I did (my sinuses got so bad I was getting nosebleeds). It's worth checking it out with the doctor.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I heard not that long ago that sometimes caffeine can help with headaches. which is opposite of what a lot of what you hear. Normally it's something they say stay away from.

But if you've had a headache for 9 days I'd say it's time to go to the drs.

Most OTC "migraine" medications are a combination of Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Aspirin and caffeine. About the same amount as in two 12-ounce cans of Coke.

I just checked on my generic brand and it is:
    Acetaminophen - 250mg
    Aspirin - 250mg
    Caffeine - 65mg

I say go to the doctor too. Take some reading material so as not to waste your waiting time.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Giz - I know exactly what you're griping about with our doctors, but as someone who suffers from allergies & sinus headaches a lot - go see one. Push them to diagnose the problem - don't allow them to make you wait the extra week... I've found that's the trick when I go. I don't allow her to make me wait - I tell it to her straight & tell her that I"m not leaving until we get to the bottom of it. It usually works...

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

giz
    You're right, I am such a push-over. I will be firm! Mind you, the headache is gone now. I suspect it might be a pms thing gone crazy, so if it comes back next month I am in that office like a shot, I promise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast