+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Energy/Metabolism Booster?

MRD
    Texicana,
    I took supplements for years and got progressively worse until I ended up in the hospital getting 4 units of blood. That's when they discovered I don't absorb iron through my GI tract and have to have IV's every so often.

I also had a GYN problem taken care of that was causing me to lose so much blood that I was getting worse and worse.

Oh and I ate spinach and liver and molasses and cooked in an iron skillet, nothing worked until the IV and I'm telling you that in just a few days I was like a new woman! I could not believe the difference in how I felt.

Good luck. I know how badly it can make you feel, but really the best treatment is to make sure you are absorbing the iron. Take it with vitamin C it helps.
    But seriously if it doesn't get better, ask to be referred to a hematologist.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ok. Unfortunately I can join this little bandwagon too! I have low iron anemia as well.

I'd stay away from anything with ephedrine or high caffeine as they are stimulants and will wear down the ferratin iron you have stored in the first place. Many popular energy drinks like Red Bull just are caffeine and sugar boosters. It's not "real" energy. Many metabolism combinations that supposidly speed up also may include ephedrine. You don't want that. I believe a good health food store would have some safer ideas for you.

The GI tract test came out ok for me so I was lucky there. My hematologist recommends Materna multi-vitamin which is for expecting moms (though I'm not) because it's high in iron.

I've found that liquid iron extract called Floradix Formula - Liquid iron and vitamine formula in a non-medicinal base of herbs, fruits and honey, is 10 times more effective for me than iron supplements. I'd highly recommend that. It's only available in health food stores. They come in bottles, but recently come in packets you can take to work or on vacation.

Attachment 17336
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:31 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I read that sometimes a sluggish liver can be a problem metabolism-wise. You might try eating pineapple, or grapefruit, or, having 2 cups hot water (drink once it cools a bit) with one half lemon squeezed into it, then dump the (pre washed) lemon into the whole thing. You can vary the water/lemon ratio to taste.

It is supposed to be a good liver cleanser though... (in a mild way, I mean). I used to re-use the lemon pieces a couple more days, never hurt anything. I had a Sunbeam Hot Shot which boiled the water in 2 minutes. That was the easiest way to do it. It's not a super charged feeling but it did seem like it perked me up a bit.

If you're on any medications, check with your doctor before doing any of this, since some citrus can change your dosages as it does boost your metabolism enough to (possibly) do that! (And some pills will even list "do not eat grapefruit" etc. in the info sheet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    If you're on any medications, check with your doctor before doing any of this, since some citrus can change your dosages as it does boost your metabolism enough to (possibly) do that! (And some pills will even list "do not eat grapefruit" etc. in the info sheet.)
    Always good advice, Brandy.

Iron can interfere with the absorption of Synthroid (synthetic thyroid hormone) which is taken for an underactive thyroid. A messed up thyroid can also cause fatigue and lack of energy, among other things.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Ginseng isn't harmless - it can make your heart race. I was taking it for a while and noticed palpitations, so looked it up online and found that warning. So be careful! If I need a caffeine boost, I like the new Coca Cola Black (coke and coffee). It has artificial sweeteners. I take iron daily. My main booster of choice is ginko biloba. It increases circulation to the brain. I started taking it for alzheimers prevention and found it really keeps me alert and on the ball. Exercise helps, too.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    ...Iron can interfere with the absorption of Synthroid (synthetic thyroid hormone) which is taken for an underactive thyroid. A messed up thyroid can also cause fatigue and lack of energy, among other things.
    So true veejer. I had hypothyroidism when I was younger. You really have to watch eating or drinking additional stimulants if you are on that kind of medication. I would get heart palpitations and racing every now and then. And a few chest pains that would stop me in my tracks. Not fun. Particularly when you're a kid.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12