+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for a remote beach location vacation?

Ideas for a remote beach location vacation?

I'm trying to find a semi-remote beach to go on vacation in a couple months within driving distance from Kentucky. But, I can't quite figure out how to GOOGLE that, so let me know if you have any suggestions on a location. Thanks for any help you can give on a vacation spot.

MRD
    I live in SW Florida. There are a couple really remote barrier isllands that are only accesible by water taxi. One is Cabbage Key off of Pine Island, near Ft. Myers Florida. They have a hotel and restaurant and also remote cabins which have air and electricity, but no phones or tv. There is a private beach, walking trails and its beautiful there.
    My husband and I spent an anniversary weekend there. It was so relaxing and quiet and the resturant was wonderful. So were the sunsets, feeding the ducks and just relaxing. Our cabin had its own private dock.

And supposedly JImmy Buffett wrote Cheeseburger in Paradise about the cheeseburgers in this restaurant there.

Google Cabbage Key resort and they should have a web site.

If you are more advenerous, there is also a state park on an island near the same place called Cayo Costa. They have cabins for rent, but no electricity.
    It's even more beautiful, but a lot more primitive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Edisto Island (lots of seashells and fossil shark
    s teeth here!) and Hunting Island in South Carolina are within driving distance for you. Both are really, really cool. Also, North Carolina's Outer Banks are not so commercialized, if you get away from the Wilmington area. The SC islands have gentler waves and warmer water; SC has old live oaks, Spanish moss, etc. while the Outer Banks are more like the beaches in Viginia, etc. were "back in the day". Hope this helps!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My family used to camp about 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach -- I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it was near an old fort. I think it was a state park. It was pretty darn empty, since it was so far from Myrtle.
    As QueenB said, the Outer Banks are still relatively quiet if you get away from Nags Head and that whole upper area and go down towards Hatteras.
    There's also an island off Charleston, S.C. that is all residential except for one hotel -- it has a great beach, and while of course there are other people, it's not as packed as a densely-populated vacation spot like Myrtle.
    But none of these are really "remote." There will be other people.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    The panhandle of Florida has been exploding with development in recent years, but you can still find some great remote areas along there. Grayton Beach is absolutely gorgeous - there's more development nearby than there used to be. But Grayton Beach itself is still relatively small and settled with nothing but small cottages and a couple of restaurants / shops. The nice thing about that is that you get the best of both worlds - relatively quiet (and beautiful) beaches by walking, but some absolutely top notch restaurants and other attractions by driving. (Criolla's which is in the area is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at ANYWHERE)

Mexico Beach, just east of Panama City, is another nice, remote area along the panhandle. It probably won't stay that way for a long time, but it is still what most of the panhandle used to be - vacation homes to rent, beautiful beaches, and pretty much nothing else.

When it comes to beaches, I'm VERY partial to the Florida panhandle. In that areas, those are the two that come to mind if I"m thinking "remote".

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    The panhandle of Florida has been exploding with development in recent years, but you can still find some great remote areas along there. Grayton Beach is absolutely gorgeous - there's more development nearby than there used to be. But Grayton Beach itself is still relatively small and settled with nothing but small cottages and a couple of restaurants / shops. The nice thing about that is that you get the best of both worlds - relatively quiet (and beautiful) beaches by walking, but some absolutely top notch restaurants and other attractions by driving. (Criolla's which is in the area is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at ANYWHERE)

Mexico Beach, just east of Panama City, is another nice, remote area along the panhandle. It probably won't stay that way for a long time, but it is still what most of the panhandle used to be - vacation homes to rent, beautiful beaches, and pretty much nothing else.

When it comes to beaches, I'm VERY partial to the Florida panhandle. In that areas, those are the two that come to mind if I"m thinking "remote".
    Mexico Beach is VERY nice still. They have limited condo development there.
    And there's a park near there on the beach, I can't remember the name of it, but it's near the town of Port St. Joe and the paper mill owns a lot of the land, so you have pine woods growing right down to the sand of the beach and its pretty remote.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    My family used to camp about 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach -- I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it was near an old fort. I think it was a state park. It was pretty darn empty, since it was so far from Myrtle.
    I think you're talking about Huntington Beach State Park...it has the old Atalaya Castle ruins in it. Very nice park, my friend had her wedding there and it was gorgeous.

I'll second queenb's suggestions of Hunting Island and Edisto Beach - they are not "touristy" beaches and are beautiful places to relax.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Thanks, all. These are some great suggestions. Anyone else have any recommendations?

+ Reply to Thread