+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better Business Bureau

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Better Business Bureau

Has anyone here ever filed a complaint with the BBB? I'm thinking about filing one against my landlord (see Mortgage Maintainance Thread), but I really just want to move out.

Did they help you come to a resolution?
    Last edited by Mariner; 05-13-2006 at 02:24 AM.

I filed one against a local auto glass shop and the BBB was no help at all. Their computer went down and I had to refile the complaint. Then they finally did contact the business but the business said they weren't at fault. The BBB didn't do anything beyond that. But that is just my area, I'd recommend filing anyway and see what happens.

The way the BBB works here is mainly for logging in complaints for others to check out a company. So if you were thinking of hiring someone or a company, you could check and see if there had been trouble in the past. I don't think there are much good in resolving any conflicts that arise. They would just take the BBB approved status away if in fact the company or person had it in the first place.

That's my understanding anyway. Don't think that helps you though. And if you want to ensure you get your damage deposit back if you move and there is conflict you may need to contact a different agency.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In the 70's I took my car to a garage for tune-up kind of stuff, and one of the things they did was replace the spark plugs. I paid the bill and drove off. The car immediately started driving funky, so I came right back. They gave me a bunch of guff about how they did everything right, it's just the way my car drove. I took it elsewhere, and they discovered the guys had put the wrong spark plugs in, and gave me documentation (and the park plugs) to prove it. Needless to say I was furious, and went back to the first garage. They refused to acknowledge any culpability, so I filed a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs. A few weeks later, I got a check from the first garage. I had no idea that was even a possiblity, I just wanted to lodge a complaint. Keep in mind that was 30 years ago. I have no idea if they're still so proactive, but here's their link http://www.dca.ca.gov/, and there's a place in the left margin to file a complaint.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

You can file with the BBB sometimes that helps, sometimes that just notes a complaint. Check with a tennent rights program in your city/county/state, they may do a great deal more for you. I used to work with one of those in Michigan and they did a lot of mediation between landlords and tenents. But not every place may have one.

In MI, we have gotten amazing results with filing complaints with the attorney general's consumer affairs office. But I'm not sure every state has that option.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    I think that misskitty is right about how the BBB works. When you file a complaint, it's more to help other peole in the future than it is to get resolution for yourself.

I agree with nlmcp - there are some fantastic tennent rights groups which would be a better resourcefor you in resolving a landlord dispute. Most have outstanding resources on line. I had a problem with my landlord a few years ago when I moved out, and he was trying to hold a good portion of my security deposit for unreasonable charges (charging me for not having the carpet cleaned, even though he'd said a year before that it would be replaced when I moved out, etc) I consulted an attorney / landlord friend of mine who said that the way the lease was written, I didn't have much ground to stand on. So I got what was essentially a form letter of the internet and sent it to him, threatening legal action (which I knew I would not take if the letter did not work). A week later, I got a check for the remaining balance of my security deposit.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread