+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Mothers Day 5/14/06

Happy Mothers Day 5/14/06

Happy Mothers Day!
    Last year at Fathers Day there was a thread on what Dad taught us. I wanted to start one for mom.
    When it was time for the sex talk my mom would always say, "Don't let 5 minutes of pleasure ruin your life."
    I was talking to my mom about having the talk with my son and she asked what I remembered about her talks. I said "Don't let 5 minutes of pleasure ruin your whole life."
    Her answer, "5 minutes?! Wow I was being generous wasn't I?"

So what did mom teach you?

CantGetNuf, I love that advice from your mom. I will need to remember that when the time comes with my children. Straight and to the point.

I was a young teen and asked my mom why I couldn't get braces so my teeth would be perfect like many of my friends. My teeth are straight but not braces perfect. She looked at me and said why would you want perfect teeth. Your teeth are beautiful and have so much more character than if they looked like everyone else. For some reason this always stuck with me. Not so much about the teeth but the part about maintaining your individual character rather than trying to look perfect or fit a mold that others are following.

Cantgetenough, her response to that was hilarious.

Great advice from both your mothers. I'll have to remember both of them for my own daughter.

My father had a personality more like mine and was often more able to say things that made sense to me, but I vividly remember two talks I had with my mom. The first one was when I was in junior high or a freshman in high school. I don't remember now. Anyway, something had happened that I thought was just the end of the world and I was talking to her about it (which was also rare ). I remember her saying :

"When you're a teenager, everything seems like the end of the world. Sometimes you have to step back and ask yourself what you would think of the same situation ten years down the line. If it wont' matter in ten years, it doesn't really matter now."

Later on in high school, when a friend had committed suicide, she told me something else I've never forgotten. This one is a pretty common saying, though, I think. She said:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. Everything passes eventually."
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I've finally accepted that in SOME ways, at least, I do resemble my mother - both in looks and personality. I'm going to write that in her card and tell her that's my mother's day gift to her this year.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My mom wasn't much of a confide-in-me dispenser of advice. I learned a lot from her examples, though. The one thing I remember her saying when we were older that still cracks me up is, "There's nothing as overestimated as a good f*** or as underestimated as a good sh**. She never used words like that otherwise which is probably why I remember it.
    Count your blessings!

I don't think I have ever appreciated my mother as much as I have the last couple of years. She has been a rock and a friend to me during my post-partum, to my sister during her miscarriage and other health problems and to my father who was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I honestly don't know what we would have done without her. I can only hope I will be as strong and as generous when I will be her age.

Hah Gut!! One memory I have is the year I started high school. I was always a good student, and continued to be one but of course I was a normal teenager. So, one day I asked my mom what she would do if she found out I was skipping school (I hadn't done it). She looked at me, smiled and said, "I love you so much, I would come to school with you everyday and sit beside you in your classes." And she meant it....hororrs! I never skipped a class.....

We've actually had a couple of parents do that, canuck! It is amazing how they CAN control their behavior with the right incentive.
    Count your blessings!

My mother taught me that any woman can be a mother but it takes a special woman to be a mom. My mother's short comings have inspired me to be a mom rather than someone's mother
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD
    My mother was a very strong person and had a huge personality. Everyone that knew her loved her. I don't remember any specifics of her giving me good advice (we didn't get along real well when I was a teenager), but she did teach me through example that I am a strong, independent woman who can do anything I set my mind too and not to let stereotypes rule my life. My mom was the handyman in our family. She put in our underground sprinkler system by herself. She mowed, BBQ-ed, fixed the little stuff around the house, cooked, etc.
    My dad didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. My mom also had a job that had before only been held by men in this company and this was in the mid 70's when that kind of job for women wasn't typical. She ran a large printing plant and 90% of her employees were men. They ran the huge presses and equipment and all 5 foot 2 of her ran them.

So I learned not to put up with any crap from anyone from her.

And I learned to be a great storyteller as my mom loved stories and jokes and I loved to listen to them and now tell them myself.

I also learned not to put jobs and social life before family. Something she did which is why we were not close for a long time. And my mother had a drinking problem and I learned that I didn't want one, so I never let alcohol run my life. She overcame it all by herself and lived another 20 years sober.

And I miss her daily. She's been gone now 5 years. But I catch glimpses of her face in my daughters expressions and I am beginning to see more of her face in me as I age.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast