+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Mothers Day 5/14/06

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Same here! My mom and dad divorced when I was 5 and she didn't remarry until I was 14. So, she worked two jobs most of the time just to make ends meet and keep my brother and I fed and clothed. She worked her butt off and wasn't around alot until my step-dad came along and she could quit one of her jobs. But when she was around, she always made us laugh! She has the best sense of humor and has always been so much fun. Her mother was the same way. She had 10 children and still worked a full time job. I have NO idea how she managed that! She used to say she had so many kids because they didn't have electricity and there was nothing else to do when it got dark.

Mom and I are the best of friends now and talk nearly everyday. She still makes me laugh and I love hanging out with her. What makes me love her even more is the way she is with my kids. She entertains them, loves on them, and spoils them rotten everytime she visits. I couldn't ask for a better grandmother for them and they adore her!
    My grandmother was one of 11 kids and my best friend in highschool was one of 8 kids and her mother worked too. Both said that each kid, including the youngest had chores they were expected to do to help around the house because with that many kids a mom CANNOT do it all alone. The older kids did things like laundry and even cooking and watching the younger kids and the y ounger kids folded laundry, helped dust and sweep, etc. I'd guess you'd have too because no way could you do it all with that many kids even if you never worked outside the house.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    I took my friends kids mother's day shopping today. They are the one's whose dad died in March. They were so thrilled that I called and asked to take them shopping as the older girl was really worried about how she was going to get her mom anything for Mother's Day.

I picked them up at 10, we headed to the mall. My 15 year old daughter was with us. After some name calling in the backseat (I only have one, I don't get to deal with this often), we arrive. We head to the jewelry store where their mom had found something she liked on an outing with me earlier and low and behold it was on SALE!! Her daughter loved it, so we got it. Then had to stop at Wet Seal for my daughter. She was trying something on and the 2 kids and I tried on sunglasses to amuse ourselves. As we get ready to go to the cashier to pay for my daughters pants, the little boy (he's 5) reaches up and gropes one of the manniquins breasts. I almost keeled over right then. I get on to him and he says: "It's ok, they are fake". Now I'm really trying hard not to laugh and say: "you can't be touching boobs fake or not" The cashier says: "Boy, they learn early don't they?" I think they are born knowing what to do actually!
    So we then leave and go to Hallmark and look and read EVERY card in the store. They fight over which one they will get. Then the daughter got her mom some tarts for her tart burner and the little boy HAD to find something too, so we looked at EVERYTHING in the store, which was crowded the day before Mother's Day. He settled on a very nice glass dish with pot pourri and sea shells in it. And the sister proceeds to tell him loudly, don't get that, mom won't like it. He insists that this is what he is getting and by god, that is what we got!!!!!

A club was wrapping gifts right outside, so we decided to let them wrap what we bought. The kids picked out the paper and bows. They hand back the wrapped sea shell pot pourri and the little boy says without prompting:

"thank you very much for wrapping the gift for my mommy. Her name is HH and my name is JH" The women at the booth thought he was adorable. He was at that point. Not so adorable groping manniquiins.

As we are leaving the mall, the car in front of us, starts to pull out on the highway and I take my foot off the brake and my car moves a little, not even registering on the speedometer and the woman in front slams on brakes and we bump her. Just a bump. I was going less than 2 mph. She pulls into the merge lane and gets out of the car. I pull onto the grass as now cars behind us are honking and the kids in the back seat are yelling, we had a car crash, we had a car crash, wait till I tell Mom! GREAT. No damage to either car, no one's hurt. I wasn't even going fast enough to register on the speedometer, I just kind of coasted a bit into her. We decide that everyone and everything is fine and we don't need to exchange ins. or call the police. I'm hearing: "we had a car crash" now about 50 million times and I say: we had a bump. Don't over due it or your mom will freak out. The little boy pipes up and says: don't tell my mom about the fake boobs in the store I touched. I said fine, you don't tell her about us bumping the car in front of us.

We then have lunch at good old Chick-fil-a which was a freaking ordeal as none of the 4 of us got the same thing and getting everyone situated and ketchuped and sauced and whatnot. We then leave and head for the grocery store to get tulips. Mom's favorite flower. They spy these HUGE balloons that were really awesome for Mother's Day and one even plays a tune. It's GIGANTIC. So after much debate on what color flowers to get and trying to decide about the balloon, I notice the boy holding his crotch, so I say: "do you have to go to the bathroom?" He says: "No, my weenie just itches and I'm scratching it". The grocery store flower clerk had to turn away to keep from laughing out loud. Then as we are walking to the cash register, a woman is standing in the aisle and the boy says: "can you move, please?" She thought it was funny, but I reminded him that you say "excuse me please, not can you move". OK, so by now, I am starting to feel tired, overhelmed and as I never had a boy, just don't know how to keep him from doing or saying such embarrassing things. I'm not used to little ones anymore and especially ones that all talk non-stop.

We head back to my house and the balloon plays the stupid mothers day song the ENTIRE way home. I begin questioning why I let them buy it.

We get to my house and get everything situated and call Mom to see if she is home so I can bring them back. They are going to give her the flowers and balloon today and hide the wrapped gifts for tomorrow. The damn balloon played all the way to her house. I could have put a knife in the balloon at this point. Not to mention I can't see out of the rear view mirror the thing is so large.
    Mom is surprised and happy about the flowers and balloon. Then the 5 year old spills the beans about the candles (tarts) and seashells. He cannot keep a secret, so now his sister is fighting with him about telling. Then he tells his mom about the "car crash". I had already told her on the phone what happened, so I looked at him and said: "ok then, I get to tell her what you did". He got this "oh s***" look on his face. It was too funny.

Now mom is enjoying the singing balloon, I am enjoying peace and quiet and had a very fun time with my friends kids. I still can't get over the manniquin groping thing tho.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Hysterical, myrosiedog! I had to come over and read this after the hint on the parenting thread.

myrosiedog That sounds hilarious and exhausting Makes me glad I have kitties. And only one BOY kitty at that!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry to double-post all, but I didn't find this in time to edit my last one. If you haven't sent your MOM an e-mail Mother's Day card, click here and view this one from hoops & yoyo (and piddle). They're my fav.

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product|10001|10051|590446|-2;-102001;11441;66581;66583||P1R6 SO|null
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

My mom is a giant.

My mother was right. About everything. And I didn't realize that until well into my thirties. And she let me figure it out for myself. And she never said "I told you so".

I almost lost my mother last month.
    And in doing so, regained my father.
    Life works in the most mysterious ways.

My mother is a saint. She's the most self-sacrificing woman I've ever known. She's the busiest woman I know. She's a 5'2" powerhouse, and yet looked so frail, coming out of unconsciousness after 5 days in the CCU.

I almost lost my lifeline. I had to become hers. And in doing so, I rediscovered my own life.

And as I guided my father to her bedside I uttered "she looks so small, lying there",
    and my father said, "oh, no - she's a giant".

And its true.

My mom is a giant. And I love her so much.
    Last edited by ADKLove; 05-13-2006 at 10:18 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY to all you moms here. Love you all!
    Count your blessings!

Such a wonderful thread! I've really enjoyed everyone's stories and candidness about their mom's: The Good Ones and the Not So Good Ones.

My Grandma raised me because my mom was born and died a party animal. Best thing she ever did was drop me off at my Grandparents after I was born, so I could have a stable and loving life with them.

My Grandmother is/was my personal hero. She, too, was a GIANT of a woman, (like ADKLove's wonderful story), though she was 4'5" tall! A Finnish Immigrant, born in the 1800's, she was the oldest of 13 children, saw the family home burn down twice, ran away from home and a lifetime of babysitting at age 13, got a job in a mining town baking pies, and helped my grandfather run and manage a 200 head dairy farm.

Oh, and also raise a granddaughter at age 62 years of age.

My Grandma had a droll, Bob Newhart sense of humour. She'd tell stories that had you crossing your legs for fear of peeing in your pants, but she'd never crack a smile, letting on that she knew she was funny. She also had the type of wisdom that Unkle Scott's mom had.

One of my many memorable stories that I experienced with her happened when I was only 5 or 6 years old. Being that I was raised by 60 year olds, their friends were naturally in their age bracket or even in their 80's and 90's. This resulted in my attending more funerals than weddings in my early youth.

At one funeral, grandma and I were sitting in the pew and she was watching the deceased woman's grown children weeping and crying for their mom. They also had smothered the coffin with flowers. After a while, Grandma turned to me and said, "If only poor Selma had had 1/10th of those flowers when she was living and if only her kids had said 3 positive words to her while she was alive."

Grandma then thought for a moment and turned to me again, saying "Dont' bother giving me flowers when I'm dead and telling strangers how much you loved me. I want to hear those words while I'm living and smell those flowers today."

I NEVER FORGOT THAT SCENE OR THAT CONVERSATION AND IT HAS RULED AND CHANGED THE WAY THAT I RUN MY LIFE.

I send/give flowers to all my friends, all the time, even if it's a simple bouquet of tulips from my garden. I practice "Random Acts of Kindness Day" for my immediate circle of intimates by baking a batch of muffins or cookies and just dropping them off for them to discover and enjoy. I go up to complete strangers and compliment them on how they look, how well they have raised their kids, or another positive statement. Essentially, all the flowers and well-wishes that I would waste at a friends funeral, I give to them while they're still alive, to be enjoyed NOW by them, instead of to make me feel better about myself when they are gone.

That's one of the BEST lessons that my Grandma taught me. She's been gone for over 20 years but I experience my Grandma's love and wisdom on an hourly basis.

"I love you still, Grandma!"
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

What a lovely tribute lambikins!
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Beautiful tributes and stories here in this thread....

Happy Mom's Day to everyone! Tulips (my fave flower) for each of you!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast