+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

Hi all, had some questions for those of you who've either hired cleaners, are cleaners, or may know about the things I'd like answered! We use a cleaning service for our home right now--the agency sends out two cleaners each time (usually the same team). They bring their own cleaning supplies, including vacuum cleaners etc. and are in and out of the house in about 1-hour & 15-minutes to clean our house, which is a decent size but usually pretty neat and clean and doesn't need too much work (no kids!). Each year, the fee goes up (I also tip both cleaners each time). They're bonded and insured so if they're injured on the job or break anything, the agency covers it.

Since there's been another increase and the cost is higher than I'd like to pay now, I'm thinking about switching over to one of the cleaners my friends use--trustworthy, thorough and does a great job. She'd be in the house longer (about 2 to 4 hours depending) and would work by herself and use my equipment (my vacuum cleaner, cleaning supplies etc.) Her rate is much cheaper since she works for herself. The down side is she's not bonded or insured. I wouldn't care if she broke a dish or two on occasion. But if she fell on the job and hurt herself, I think we'd be responsible since it was in our house (and to pay more insurance to cover any potential injuries may not benefit us in the long run).

It's not like I'd be sticking my foot out to make her fall, but she could get hurt tripping on something or what not. Does anyone know anything about this or have you been sued by someone you hired to work in your house who hurt themselves in your house?

Thanks in advance! (I'm actually a very good house cleaner but since I'm so Type A, it literally takes me forever to clean 'cause nothing's ever clean enough... It's not fun being me sometimes!)

MRD
    I've had cleaning people that were individuals before and not part of an agency. I prefer them as they get to know what I like and don't like as opposed to sometimes getting a different team from the other services like Merry Maids. And I found that some agencies would not change bed sheets or do laundry, but the person who worked for herself would. One even offered to iron for an extra fee!!!!!!!!!!
    I assumed my homeowners insurance would cover the liability of injury as it does should ANYONE get injured in my home.

I have not had anyone in over 4 years. But there for a while, I was running a businiess out of my home and it was more cost efficient for me to work the business and pay the cleaners fee than to clean the house myself . Now that I no longer have the business, I am the cleaner and boy do I need to fire her because she SUCKS!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Now that I no longer have the business, I am the cleaner and boy do I need to fire her because she SUCKS!
    I'm SURE that's not true at all, Rosie!

I actually checked with our insurance company and they said that the standard coverage most people have would not cover a serious injury, which surprised me! I will have to doublecheck on that -- for all I know, I might be covered just fine!

All my friends who have individual maids said that they (the maids) aren't bonded or insured, but they weren't too worried about any accidents etc. I'm a worry wart and always worry about, "What if?"

Also, it took me a loooooooooong time before I felt comfortable enough hiring a maid service. (a) I felt guilty about having someone else clean my home and (b) I'm cheap! But I kind of like not having to worry about it now... other than the maid suing me thing...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-06-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I am the cleaner and boy do I need to fire her because she SUCKS!
    your cleaner works at my house. And I agree she isn't very good. Sad part is I do housecleaning for a living. I should be much better at it. It's so much easier to clean someone else's house.

I work for a lady from my church. There are just 3 people that work, my boss, her mom and me. I know that she has insurance that she buys to cover any big damages. We've broken small things and either replaced them or told the owner and they told us not to worry about them. But the insurance is in place just in case something big happens.

And we will usually just do small extras without adding any fees on, but if it's too much extra we will incorporate it in the total cost. One lady had us hanging her kids clothes up for awhile. That lady in particular loves having us because it is always the same team that comes to her house. She didn't like having a service because she was just never sure who it would be showing up at her house. I can imagine that would be a bit disconcerting.

ps We always try will go a little further, the extra mile so to speak with someone we really like. We don't skimp on the others, but will do more sometimes than is required for someone really nice. It pays to be nice to your cleaning ladies

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    ps We always try will go a little further, the extra mile so to speak with someone we really like. We don't skimp on the others, but will do more sometimes than is required for someone really nice. It pays to be nice to your cleaning ladies
    Thanks for the insight justCoz! That helps. I think my cleaners like me 'cause they always give me a big hug when they see me. And don't beat yourself up for not cleaning your house as well as you do when you're working. Who wants to bring their work home with them?!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    your cleaner works at my house. And I agree she isn't very good. Sad part is I do housecleaning for a living. I should be much better at it. It's so much easier to clean someone else's house.
    WEll you've heard the story about the shoemakers children?

My husband has been in the construction industry for years. Guess how much work we need done around here right now? After doing it all day at work, I don't blame him for not wanting to do it at home.

I'm just thankful he's not a gynocologist.

Can you draw up a contract for her to sign saying if she injures herself in your house she won't hold you responsible?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Can you draw up a contract for her to sign saying if she injures herself in your house she won't hold you responsible?
    Waivers like that never hold up in court if she were to get injured and decided to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    [b]Since there's been another increase and the cost is higher than I'd like to pay now, I'm thinking about switching over to one of the cleaners my friends use[/b
    LL: It seems that the only questions you have are regarding litigation if you hire a non-insured cleaner, correct? Perhaps, in the long run, it's going to be cheaper for you to keep your original service than to change.

I'm thinking that the reasons why the service has raised their rates is chiefly gas prices and the fact that THEY supply all the materials and machines. Or, they may have had a hefty rate change in their insurance policy and that also reflects the increase.

Of all of my landscape clients, NONE employ a service; all of them have a Polish cleaning woman clean their home. I have absolutely NO idea why there is a 100% ratio of Polish woman; most of my customer's don't know each other and these girls aren't referred by any agency...mostly word of mouth. The client is responsible for having all of the supplies in their home, and if an empty bottle is left out by the maid, then it's your cue to by the stuff.

To my reckoning, not a single maid has hurt herself on the job and some of these ladies have been working for my clients upwards of 30+ years, making a few approaching their 70's! They become family members and end up invited to weddings and anniversaries by the more caring customers.

Since an independent woman is usually taking public transportation and the fares are kept pretty stable and the home owner is incurring the costs of the rise in materials, that would account for the lower rate. Also, some of the women are here less than legally, so having a job "off the books" allows them to stay here and not be noticed, also accounting for their lower rates.

If being sued is a high fear of yours, I'd stick with the bonded and insured agency. At least it provides you with peace of mind and lower personal insurance rates.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    [QUOTE=lambikins;1896872 Also, some of the women are here less than legally, so having a job "off the books" allows them to stay here and not be noticed, also accounting for their lower rates.

[QUOTE]

OK, going over to Pet Peeves to post about this one. THIS burns my butt and its why we have an illegal alien problem in this country.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast