+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

FORT Fan

Re: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

I generally use a half cup of white vinegar to a half gallon of warm water. Be sure to use a natural sponge or cotton mop, no synthetics as they leave the floor too wet.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven22;2565526;
    I generally use a half cup of white vinegar to a half gallon of warm water. Be sure to use a natural sponge or cotton mop, no synthetics as they leave the floor too wet.
    OK, this is a totally stupid question but what's a "natural sponge"? Is it a sponge made of all cotton or something like that? And do they sell these at regular stores. I love this idea 'cause vinegar and water--it's so cheap and I'm one of those weirdos who likes the smell of vinegar!!! It's natural so there are no chemicals, so that's a plus, too (we have a kitty cat who WILL lick the floor, I'm sure).

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

The use of plastics, rubber, and cellulose is common for our manufactured sponges, but referring to a "natural sponge" just means the sea sponge. They're naturally antimicrobial and I prefer the way they clean to the mass manufactured kinds. Much more absorbent or something.

And Lois, your kitty and my pooch would get along great. He loved to lick my hardwood floors after I would clean them with an almond oil cleanser. It smelled divine, and I guess tasted pretty darn good, too! He still licks the bare floors (tile in the new house) but it isn't the same and sometimes I'll catch him looking so puzzled as he's licking away while "hiding" under the table...

The product that we use to clean wood floors is a hardwood floor cleaner made by Bona K. We get it from a company in town that lays the wood floors. That's what most of our clients that have wood floors have told us the people that laid their floors recommended. It's a great product that cleans without rinsing and doesn't leave a film.

What we buy is a small bottle that gets mixed with water. You just mist the area and then wipe it back up. It's very quick and so easy. Once you mix that mixture it lasts a long time. We buy the small bottles that get mixed with water, but they offer pre-mixed too. The web site is here:

Home US - Bona

It explains about the product. I would try to find if you can buy it in your area though because I think you'll find a better price than what it looked like you could get online. I didn't see the small bottles that we use to mix, so that may be something that is offered at the retail spaces. It would appear to be the same as the big bottle the website offered, but in small little bottles that are the exact amount needed to mix in a 32oz spray bottle.

We have used both their special hardwood floor cleaner tool as well as a paddle thingy that comes with an elastic cloth. Both of those get thrown in the washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2565629;
    The use of plastics, rubber, and cellulose is common for our manufactured sponges, but referring to a "natural sponge" just means the sea sponge. They're naturally antimicrobial and I prefer the way they clean to the mass manufactured kinds. Much more absorbent or something.

And Lois, your kitty and my pooch would get along great. He loved to lick my hardwood floors after I would clean them with an almond oil cleanser. It smelled divine, and I guess tasted pretty darn good, too! He still licks the bare floors (tile in the new house) but it isn't the same and sometimes I'll catch him looking so puzzled as he's licking away while "hiding" under the table...
    Just checked out this thread...would you mind telling me the name of the almond oil cleanser you used on your wood floors? That's one of my favorite smells and I don't think I've seen one before. Thanks

Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2566888;
    Just checked out this thread...would you mind telling me the name of the almond oil cleanser you used on your wood floors? That's one of my favorite smells and I don't think I've seen one before. Thanks
    I bought it at Target, and I'm pretty sure it was one of their "green" brands. I googled it, and came up with theMethod line - I'm pretty sure this was what I used, but the bottle looked slightly different. Also, I tried another brand that Lowes carried in their hardwood floor care aisle, but I didn't like it quite as much. It was still pretty good - better than the citrus oil cleansers I've tried. I can't seem to find that one in my google search, but I actually think I have a little left in the cabinet at home. I'll check tonight.

I think it is the Method line that has that almond smell. I know we used one at a client's house a few years ago. It was actually for furniture (like Pledge). I didn't think it worked all that well on the furniture, but it sure smelled great!

FORT Fan

Just be careful of any floor cleaners containing oil that you do not rinse. A residue will remain and you could break your neck. And an FYI...a bit of Avon's Skin So Soft on a clean rag will remove floor scuffs in an instant, just be sure to rinse the area well afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2570275;
    I think it is the Method line that has that almond smell. I know we used one at a client's house a few years ago. It was actually for furniture (like Pledge). I didn't think it worked all that well on the furniture, but it sure smelled great!
    The one I used was specifically for wood floors, and had almond oil as an ingredient, not just a scent. It worked great. The line did have a furniture cleanser/polish, too, but the product I used was a floor cleanser.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2570917;
    The one I used was specifically for wood floors, and had almond oil as an ingredient, not just a scent. It worked great. The line did have a furniture cleanser/polish, too, but the product I used was a floor cleanser.
    Oh, reading my post again I see that it sounded like I was saying you used a furniture polish on the floors. I actually knew that you had used something on the floors, but was trying (albeit not so sucessfully) to say that I had also used a furniture polish that their line also had.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast