+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    JustCoz (or anyone else who's in the cleaning biz...or anyone who knows, for that mater!), what is a good tip for a cleaning service? I use a service that sends different maids (usually same same group of 4 who altenate weeks etc.). So I'd rather tip each time they visit than just give a big holiday bonus to whoever shows up (who're often not the usual cleaning staff then anyhow).

I usually tip about 20% of the total fee ('cause the maids don't get the entire fee I pay--a percentage of it goes to their service, which handles the bonding and insurance, so I know they appreciate the extra little bonus. That said--they still make a good hourly rate so I'm glad they're paid well by their agency).

But after all the talk about tipping on another thread, I'm wondering if that's enough.
    It sounds great to me, but I don't knowwhat a good amount would be, and I'm sure there are guidelines somewhere. We don't get tipped except at Christmas. Sometimes it's a gift, which is nice, but I'd rather have money which is not to say I'm not grateful for the gift but money is much better to get at Christmas as they are not friends and have no idea of our tastes! One lady did make up really nice gift bags of pampering stuff: shower gel, pouf and some really fantastic hand lotion that she herself used and swore by. She was thinking of us and our job and how to make it better. I'll see if I can find out more about the suggested amount later.

JustCoz (or anyone else who's in the cleaning biz...or anyone who knows, for that mater!), what is a good tip for a cleaning service? I use a service that sends different maids (usually same same group of 4 who altenate weeks etc.). So I'd rather tip each time they visit than just give a big holiday bonus to whoever shows up (who're often not the usual cleaning staff then anyhow).

I usually tip about 20% of the total fee ('cause the maids don't get the entire fee I pay--a percentage of it goes to their service, which handles the bonding and insurance, so I know they appreciate the extra little bonus. That said--they still make a good hourly rate so I'm glad they're paid well by their agency).

But after all the talk about tipping on another thread, I'm wondering if that's enough.
    Hi, Sorry to take so long to get back to you, life gets in the way of my internet habit sometimes I talked this over with my boss and we both think 20% is a great amount. I believe the general amount expected at Christmas is one extra paycheck. So you are being generous with your people. It's very nice of you to think of them and realize that they may not be the ones to get the tip at the holidays.

A general note to all of you who have house cleaners: it's kind to turn your air conditioning down while they will be working in your home. What's comfortable for you during normal activities at home is not necessarily comfortable when one is cleaning.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Thanks just coz. Our heating/air conditioning's on a timer so I always make sure the air conditioner's cooling the house an hour before they arrive through an hour after they're scheduled to leave. Just in case. That way, the air's not running all day while we're gone AND they don't have to worry about remembering to turn the air off when they leave.

Thanks just coz. Our heating/air conditioning's on a timer so I always make sure the air conditioner's cooling the house an hour before they arrive through an hour after they're scheduled to leave. Just in case. That way, the air's not running all day while we're gone AND they don't have to worry about remembering to turn the air off when they leave.
    It sounds like you would be one of our favorite clients ever! I'm sure your cleaners appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    It sounds like you would be one of our favorite clients ever! I'm sure your cleaners appreciate the thoughtfulness.
    Aw, thanks. Well, I also have motives... The better I treat them, the better they are with my house! Sometimes they'll clean a room that wasn't even part of the agreement as a treat for me. I've heard people saying that their maids stole from them etc. We've actually left money out (by accident) and come home to find all of it right where we left it--down to the penny. The first few times when I left notes for them to take a snack from the fridge (juice box, bottle of water, fruit etc.), they wouldn't take it. When I saw them, I literally had to tell them and then they'd always take one each and leave the nicest thank you note for me!

Re: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

justCoz, what do you all use to clean hardwood floors? Is the best thing just water and a rag, or a specific product? Also, what's best to clean nice wood furniture? I heard that using something like Pledge (which is what I used to use) isn't a good thing. Thanks!

Lois I use Murphy's Oil Soap for all of my wood products. I don't really like Pledge because it builds up.. besides I find that when I use Pledge fingerprints show up more readily.

Murphy Oil Soap – Murphy's Original Formula, Squirt & Mop, Spray and Wipes for all your wood care needs!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks for that info, Duxxy! I hate the buildup, too, which I've gotten with Pledge in the past... I use the Swiffer cloths a lot for computer monitors/TV, which works well...

FORT Fan

I also was in the cleaning business for many years and hands down vinegar and water is best for cleaning wood floors, just be sure the mop is damp and not sopping wet. As for polishing wood furniture, lemon oil once a month is best and the swiffers are fine between polishings.

How much vinegar should you put in? 1 part to 3 parts water? Or less? Or...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast