+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

WHAT!? You mean I have been doing my own cleaning all these years when I could have paid someone ELSE to do it!? Ha ha, kidding obviously. My sister has someone come once a week, and it has been a lifesaver for her, and has probably saved her marriage, since she has stopped chewing him out for not helping.

I thought about it, but I realized I would clean up the house in anticipation of a stranger coming in my house. (Yes, I would pick up for the maid) So I figured I would save myself the money, and a couple of times a week just PRETEND the maid was coming. I am single, therefore, no marriage to save, and I live with 2 teenage males who run the risk of being lost forever in their own mountain of mess.. I mean bedroom. In other words, they could care less what state of cleanliness the house is in. We could have a mud floor and they would not notice. And If they DID notice , they would be like " Oh look, the floor is mud." So, I get pedicures instead.
    Last edited by snoopy; 05-12-2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Go Tigers!

MRD
    I Used to pick up before the maid came, but..... part of her job was NOT to put away the hair barrettes on the dining room table or the stack of mail on the sofa or the socks in the middle of the living room. I paid her to clean the bathrooms, mop and vaccum floors, clean the kitchen, dust and clean ceiling fans, change sheets on the bed, etc.

I didn't expect her to pick up after us and I made sure that both hubby and child helped the night before by putting their own stuff away. The maid was also instructed NOT to clean my daughters room, only to change the sheets on the bed. If the room was not picked up (toys on the floor), then my daughter had to do her own dusting and vaccuming. If she picked up her mess, then the maid would dust and vacuum. I still gave my daughter chores to do during the week too.

But I wouldnt' clean the sinks or anything like that before the maid came, I just put our clutter away as how would she know where I wanted it put? and she could clean better if the clutter was handled before she got there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I Used to pick up before the maid came, but..... part of her job was NOT to put away the hair barrettes on the dining room table or the stack of mail on the sofa or the socks in the middle of the living room. I paid her to clean the bathrooms, mop and vaccum floors, clean the kitchen, dust and clean ceiling fans, change sheets on the bed, etc.

I didn't expect her to pick up after us and I made sure that both hubby and child helped the night before by putting their own stuff away. The maid was also instructed NOT to clean my daughters room, only to change the sheets on the bed. If the room was not picked up (toys on the floor), then my daughter had to do her own dusting and vaccuming. If she picked up her mess, then the maid would dust and vacuum. I still gave my daughter chores to do during the week too.

But I wouldnt' clean the sinks or anything like that before the maid came, I just put our clutter away as how would she know where I wanted it put? and she could clean better if the clutter was handled before she got there.
    That's what we do. We're a cleaning service and it's very difficult to clean around clutter. We appreciate people like you rosie that do pick up your mess!!

And a few more tips to make it easier for your cleaning service (thus a better job for you) (not just you Rosie, for all people with cleaning people.)

1. put your shower/bath supplies in plastic container-preferably one with holes so the water goes out.

2. put your perfume bottles, etc. from your dresser or bathroom counter in a decorative box/basket. Not only will it be easier to clean, it looks much nicer too (and as a bonus your cleaning people will love you).

3. We really don't mind doing the little extra stuff you ask us to do, but if it takes longer to write the note than to just do it yourself we will think you are lazy

4. Leave your cleaning lady the clothes you would normally donate to goodwill. It will make up tremendously for #3

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    :4. Leave your cleaning lady the clothes you would normally donate to goodwill. It will make up tremendously for #3
    What a good idea! Although would some of them think it was "charity" and be offended? I suppose a good way to find out is to ask!

I also always leave a snack out for the cleaners before I leave for work--sodas, bottles of water or juice and some fruit or cookies/brownies. I leave it by their check and tips so they know it's for them. I know that some of the ladies go from house to house and I figure a little pick me up isn't a bad thing. They always leave "thank you" notes for the items so I guess my baking's not too bad!

And I don't clean for the maids before they come to clean (although I do maintain the house by cleaning throughout the week), but I always make sure to pick up the clutter (esp. on my desk in our office) so they can dust etc. If I have to, I'll just throw it all in a bag and hide it in the closet. Then when I come back home to a clean house, I can organize while I take all the junk out of my bag!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-15-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    What a good idea! Although would some of them think it was "charity" and be offended? I suppose a good way to find out is to ask!

I also always leave a snack out for the cleaners before I leave for work--sodas, bottles of water or juice and some fruit or cookies/brownies. I leave it by their check and tips so they know it's for them. I know that some of the ladies go from house to house and I figure a little pick me up isn't a bad thing. They always leave "thank you" notes for the items so I guess my baking's not too bad!

And I don't clean for the maids before they come to clean (although I do maintain the house by cleaning throughout the week), but I always make sure to pick up the clutter (esp. on my desk in our office) so they can dust etc. If I have to, I'll just throw it all in a bag and hide it in the closet. Then when I come back home to a clean house, I can organize while I take all the junk out of my bag!
    Wow, you would be our favorite home owner ever. Snacks and drinks-sounds fabulous.

As to the charity thing. It is a sort of charity but we don't mind But we are big garage sale people anyhow, so used doesn't bother us. The one lady that does that for us always tells us to go through it and take what we want and to leave anything we don't and that then she'll take it to donate. I suppose if you did do that and they didn't take anything that would be the clue they didn't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    The one lady that does that for us always tells us to go through it and take what we want and to leave anything we don't and that then she'll take it to donate.
    That's a really good idea! I'd hate for them to be stuck with my junk 'cause they're afraid they'll hurt my feelings if they say no! Good idea...

The other day, one of the cleaning ladies broke a ceramic piece I had that was kinda expensive. But, they're insured and bonded and left a really apologetic note for me that either they'll replace it for me or I can buy myself a new one and they'll reimburse me for it. (One of my friends has a maid who always breaks things and then says she didn't do it! I ask her why she still uses her and my friend said 'cause she doesn't want to clean the house.) So everything worked out!

And JustCoz, I'll make virtual brownies for your team anytime!

I'm the maid now, but I've always hired people off bulletin boards at bookshops who are independent. Never had a problem with theft or broken objects, and honestly a lawsuit for injury never occured to me, but then again I'm in Canada, and we aren't sue happy here. The best one I ever had was a gay guy, not only would he clean, he'd arrange things artfully on the bathroom counter etc. The problem with him was that he was completley obnoxious to waiters and theatre staff etc, and finally I blew up at him after he completley humilated the popcorn girl at a theatre. ( Sometimes we'd go to movies rather than clean ) Then I had this shy neurotic lesbian motorcyclists who would only use organic cleaning supplies, and half the time I thought she was on the verge of a complete breakdown so I'd be afraid to ask her to do anything in case I sent her over the edge. Then I had this young asian guy who after two hours, when I came home had only managed to clean the kitchen floor. I live in a condo, the kitchen is not very big. I think he thought I was hiring him for sex, as he had stripped down to shorts, and this was winter. Anyway, way too much stress.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander View Post
    I'm the maid now, but I've always hired people off bulletin boards at bookshops who are independent. Never had a problem with theft or broken objects, and honestly a lawsuit for injury never occured to me, but then again I'm in Canada, and we aren't sue happy here. The best one I ever had was a gay guy, not only would he clean, he'd arrange things artfully on the bathroom counter etc. The problem with him was that he was completley obnoxious to waiters and theatre staff etc, and finally I blew up at him after he completley humilated the popcorn girl at a theatre. ( Sometimes we'd go to movies rather than clean ) Then I had this shy neurotic lesbian motorcyclists who would only use organic cleaning supplies, and half the time I thought she was on the verge of a complete breakdown so I'd be afraid to ask her to do anything in case I sent her over the edge. Then I had this young asian guy who after two hours, when I came home had only managed to clean the kitchen floor. I live in a condo, the kitchen is not very big. I think he thought I was hiring him for sex, as he had stripped down to shorts, and this was winter. Anyway, way too much stress.
    I have no idea if you meant this to be funny and I apologize upfront if you didn't but your post had me ........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

The other day, one of the cleaning ladies broke a ceramic piece I had that was kinda expensive. But, they're insured and bonded and left a really apologetic note for me that either they'll replace it for me or I can buy myself a new one and they'll reimburse me for it. (One of my friends has a maid who always breaks things and then says she didn't do it! I ask her why she still uses her and my friend said 'cause she doesn't want to clean the house.) So everything worked out!

Fortunately we've never broken anything really expensive. Most of our clients keep their expensive collectables behind glass doors and don't want us to clean them. That makes us very happy as we'd rather not break them. And when you are touching them, chances are good that sooner or later an accident will happen.

And JustCoz, I'll make virtual brownies for your team anytime!
    Thanks! I'm sure we'll love them.

oh, to add to my list for anyone who's interested, I'm think I'm on #5

If your cleaning crew asks you to buy a specific brand, buy that brand. They probably use that specific brand for a reason. (i.e. clorox mops are not swiffer wet jets-they do not work as good, they are not interchangeable even though a lot of people think so.)

Tipping the cleaning staff? How much is a good tip?

JustCoz (or anyone else who's in the cleaning biz...or anyone who knows, for that mater!), what is a good tip for a cleaning service? I use a service that sends different maids (usually same same group of 4 who altenate weeks etc.). So I'd rather tip each time they visit than just give a big holiday bonus to whoever shows up (who're often not the usual cleaning staff then anyhow).

I usually tip about 20% of the total fee ('cause the maids don't get the entire fee I pay--a percentage of it goes to their service, which handles the bonding and insurance, so I know they appreciate the extra little bonus. That said--they still make a good hourly rate so I'm glad they're paid well by their agency).

But after all the talk about tipping on another thread, I'm wondering if that's enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast