+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning/Maid Service questions

You should check your homeowner's insurance policy - or call your agent. Oftentimes there already exists a policy rider regarding household employees (including people who come work on your lawn, etc) - If not, one can probably be added for a fairly minimal cost.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Those were some great tips and things to think about...

I may be a bit late to add to this but my aunt has used an individual lady for years who she heard about through word of mouth. She does a fabulous job and only has one hand! She's trustworthy and very competant. And she's legal . She has never had an accident doing windows, or anything, but I'm going to ask my aunt if she even knows if she's covered in case something happened. I never thought of that and I'm sure my aunt hasn't either.

A very good question I thought Lois Lane. I, unfortunately, am my own housecleaner.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MissKitty, that photo on your avatar is too cute. Are those your cats?! How adorable. I think I've decided to stay with my service because after checking with my insurance company, it looks like my homeowners insurance will only cover so much so if there's a serious injury (they slip and fall down the stairs and break a bone etc.), I'm screwed. I doubt anything would ever happen, but I'm one of those people who worry too much and that can't be worth switching!

And as some of you pointed out, the service rates went up 'cause of the a lot of contingent factors--the cost of gas for their cars, cleaning products that they have to bring etc. And I'm hoping that they give the ladies a raise every year when they raise the customers' prices. Actually, I'm going to ask the maids that when they next visit. And if they aren't getting raises, I'm going to bring that up with the service later. Like I said, I always tip them and increase their tip every year, but it's not a cost of living increase!

If I ever found a really fantastic maid who worked for herself (and, of course, was not here illegally) and was insured, I'd probably switch 'cause it'd be comforting to have the same person in my house each time. But for now, this is fine.

I never thought of asking the service if their employees are all legal. Rosie, when you had your service, do you know if they check all that info?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post

I never thought of asking the service if their employees are all legal. Rosie, when you had your service, do you know if they check all that info?

I never had a service. We always (we being my mom too) always had individuals as maids. They were all legal tho as they had all been born in this country. Only one was an ethnic minority and my mom had about 6 maids over the years. I've had 3, but we moved, and one quit to go into something else. But the three I had were hardworking, loyal and very trustworthy. The last was a couple and they always brought dog treats for my dogs and played with them so of course I liked them best. They probably could have robbed me blind, but they were so good to the dogs that I couldn't help but love them too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    They probably could have robbed me blind, but they were so good to the dogs that I couldn't help but love them too.
    Somehow, I think that people who are good to animals are most likely going to be good to people, too! It's the ones who kick cats and puppies that I'd be on the lookout for!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Somehow, I think that people who are good to animals are most likely going to be good to people, too! It's the ones who kick cats and puppies that I'd be on the lookout for!

I always watch to see how people treat animals and service people (cashiers, waitresses, etc.) and if they treat those people and animals well, then usually, they are good people. Those that are rude to waitstaff and cashiers, etc. and don't like animals usually will end up doing the same to you at some point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I always watch to see how people treat animals and service people (cashiers, waitresses, etc.) and if they treat those people and animals well, then usually, they are good people. Those that are rude to waitstaff and cashiers, etc. and don't like animals usually will end up doing the same to you at some point in time.
    Yes! I love this rationale that people give for meaning mean to animals, "I hate cats" or "I don't like dogs." I want to say, "Well, I don't like you but that doesn't mean I'm going to kick you."

Being from the maidless echelon of society, are permanent maids apt to "rob people blind"? I'd think if anyone in the housekeeping profession had a tendency to lift something from their employer, it'd be the maid service people.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Being from the maidless echelon of society, are permanent maids apt to "rob people blind"? I'd think if anyone in the housekeeping profession had a tendency to lift something from their employer, it'd be the maid service people.
    The reputable services like Merry Maids are insured and bonded, so if something is stolen or broken, they are responsible. I also think they do background checks on their employees as well. But not every service does this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast