+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Opening a coffee shop

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    One restaurant owner drank and partied with the staff, so when it was time to do any kind of discipline, it was really awkward. He would also retire to the basement storeroom with one particular waitress and we would have to cover her tables and go without supplies until they resurfaced.
    Gut, you used to work for me?

Why PGM35, I do believe you're right. I have NEVER made such a mistake.

Sorry for the extra letter.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Stay at home moms worth: $134,000 per year!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Maybe we should rename this thread "Coffee Shop and Working vs SaHM Talk".
    Hey all, I hope this is OK to post this here but since this is sort of the SAHM thread as well, I read this online about how if you broke down a SAHM's salary, according to everything she does, it would be about $134K a year!

http://aol.salary.com/careersandwork...ce.asp?atc=563

What Is Mom's Job Worth?
    Working Mom vs. Stay at Home Mom Salaries For 2006

Are you wondering what mom should be paid for her work as mom? Salary.com has now valuated the "mom job" of both the Working and Stay at Home Mom! We consulted Stay at Home and Working Moms to determine the top 10 jobs that make up a mom’s job description. If paid, Stay at Home Moms would earn $134,121 annually (up from 2005’s salary of $131,471). Working Moms would earn $85,876 annually for the “mom job” portion of their work, in addition to their actual “work job” salary.

We found the job titles that best matched a mom’s definition of her work to be (in order of hours spent per week): housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO, and psychologist. New job titles that made the list in 2006 include psychologist, laundry machine operator, computer operator, and facilities manager. The job title of nurse fell out of the top 10 this year.

See below for the breakdown of "mom jobs" and the time spent on each job for both the Working Mom and the Stay at Home Mom, as well as their total "mom salary", including overtime:

The Working Mom's Salary
    Mom Job Title Mom's Work Week (hours) Mom's Salary
    (dollars)

Housekeeper 7.2 $3,577
    Day Care Center Teacher 7.2 $4,961
    Computer Operator 7.2 $5,658
    Cook 6.5 $5,191
    CEO 4.6 $39,397
    Laundry Machine Operator 4.2 $1,964
    Facilities manager 3.5 $6,945
    Psychologist 3.5 $6,440
    Janitor 3.1 $1,827
    Van Driver 2.8 $2,223
    Total Hours 49.8 $78,183

Mom Base Pay 40 $62,798
    Mom Overtime Hours 9.8 $23,078

Total Mom Salary 49.8 $85,876
    Average Hours of Sleep 6.4

The Stay-at-Home Mom's Salary
    Mom Job Title Mom's Work Week (hours) Mom's Salary
    (dollars)

Housekeeper 22.1 $10,980
    Day Care Center Teacher 15.7 $10,817
    Cook 13.6 $10,862
    Computer Operator 9.1 $7,151
    Laundry Machine Operator 6.7 $3,133
    Janitor 6.3 $3,713
    Facilities manager 5.8 $11,508
    Van Driver 4.2 $3,334
    CEO 4.2 $35,971
    Psychologist 3.9 $7,176
    Total Hours 91.6 $104,646

Mom Base Pay 40 $45,697
    Mom Overtime Hours 51.6 $88,424

Total Mom Salary 91.6 $134,121
    Average Hours of Sleep 6.7

Now moms and their families can use The Mom Salary Wizard (hyperlink to new search) to create their own “mom paycheck”. The tool allows moms and their families to price the “mom job”, based on location and mom's personal hours worked in each of the 10 roles. Users can create a hypothetical mom paycheck and mom pay stub, which can be printed and emailed to family and friends for Mother’s Day.

“The true value in raising my three young boys and cherishing memorable moments with them is priceless, even while I work more than 20 hours a week professionally,” said Christine M. Brown, a Working Mom from North Grafton, MA. Brown has three boys, ages five, three and one. “It’s challenging but also rewarding to be a parent and Salary.com should be commended for recognizing the millions of Stay at Home and Working Moms across the country.”

“People recognize that both Stay at Home Moms and Working Moms carry a heavy load of responsibility and work long hours,” said Bill Coleman, senior vice president of compensation at Salary.com. “It is an eye-opener for many people when they see the real market value of the work moms perform. This year, by adding information about the compensation for Working Moms, we hope to expand the recognition of just how hard all moms are working and of the economic value they bring to society.”

"The rewards I have by being there all the time in spite of my own needs are priceless," said Laura Pennington, a Stay at Home mother of three from El Paso, TX. "My children’s well-being and education are my priority, regardless of the daily marathon I face from sun up to well after sun down. It's the greatest job in the world."

“We don’t want to add fuel to the mommy-war fire," said Meredith Hanrahan, senior vice president of Salary.com Interactive. "Both moms struggle with keeping the house clean and moms of both types reported making tremendous sacrifices to make their children happy, healthy, and successful. Stay at Home Moms give up the benefits of working outside the home, including extra income, title, and career advancement. Working Moms give up more sleep, time for exercise, and skip lunch to spend quality time nurturing and educating their children. In the end, both claim it was well worth it.”

Lois Lane: I recently saw that article too! Quite eye-opening for some I believe
    --------------
    Back onto Giz's original question: I really suggest you take a quick read of the book The E Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber. It is a simply written book about Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It.

Just grab a copy from the library...It's a quick paperback but full of information showing the expectations and pitfalls of going into small businesses just like a coffee shop or a pie place, or whatever. Your role becomes more than what you may expect and it shows how to manage through the ups and downs.

While I was reading it, I immediately started "seeing" how and where I might fail should I decide to go into my own business of whatever. And I also saw where my strengths would be and where I would need assistance.

I think it's worth having a quick read "with a coffee"! BEFORE you sign any papers!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Eye opening article.

I should be a millionare by now:

12 out of 15 years staying home and 3 years working equals:

$1,867,080

Aw well, but I am wealthy in other ways for I have a daughter that has appreciated me staying home and a husband that is supportive of it.

Money isn't everything is it?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456