+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opening a coffee shop

All good points rosiedog. I was a stay-at-home until my kids were in school. You can do without a lot. Salvation Army bag sales were our clothing source until I went back to work. You save a lot in gas, meals, clothing, child care, taxes, etc. It was an easy choice for me. My kids came before anything else. On topic: having been a waitress for many years, I always swore I would never run a restaurant after watching the headaches involved at that level. One restaurant owner drank and partied with the staff, so when it was time to do any kind of discipline, it was really awkward. He would also retire to the basement storeroom with one particular waitress and we would have to cover her tables and go without supplies until they resurfaced.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 05-07-2006 at 08:56 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    With all due respect, if I hired an individual to clean my house and they sent in some subcontractor, I wouldn't hire them again. It would be different if I were going through an agency, where I knew I'd be getting one of however many different people, but if I specifically hired one person working for him/herself and they didn't show up while still pocketing 60% of the pay, they'd lose my business. And I doubt I'm alone.
    I understand what you mean, Amanda, if you interviewed a specific person and then they sent strangers into your home. That would be disrespectful.

I was referring to agencies that people call up, such as Rent a Maid, where a homeowner calls a booking agency and they send out the maid of the week to your home. I have numerous clients who have this type of cleaning service and they don't seem to mind, but that is their feelings about strangers in the house. Also, I've also noticed in several of my customers homes, that if the primary cleaner can't come, she'll send her sister/neice/best friend over and many, many times the home owner isn't even aware of this change (since they're at work.) I run into it because I'm at the client's home during the day and I run into the replacement maid.

My business is different because it's the construction field. It's identical to hiring an interior architect: you'd never expect him to install the plumbing and the roofing; she/he is there to over-see the job and hire the best professionals to do the job.

There's a wee coffee shop across from me in rural Michigan that is open from 8-2 pm. I see the sole owners car in front of the shop at 6:00 am and he usually stays until 4:00 pm, when he's dragging the tables and chairs inside of the store from the front of the store. That's a TEN HOUR DAY!!!

You could certainly hire another woman to work with you and each time you cleaned, you'd change off the responsibilities: one week you do the icky stuff and the next week she does them. By moving twice as fast through a home, you'd be able to take on 2 times the homes, pay your co-worker well, and still increase your income.

Just some additional thoughts that wouldn't compromise your standards.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

It always burned me up that in Canada you get a tax deduction for putting your kids in daycare, but no tax deduction for raising your own kids.
    Just wanted to add that in Ontario you can apply for the Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families...which does imply that it is for people who have their kids in daycare, but it is also for two parent families who decide to have one of the parents stay home.

To quote the benefit:

The program benefits low-to-middle income single or two-parent families, families with one stay-at-home parent, or families with one or both parents studying or in training.

For each child under age seven, qualifying two-parent families can receive a monthly payment of up to $91.67 ($1,100 annually), and qualifying single-parent families can receive a monthly payment of up to $109.17 ($1,310 annually).
    http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/cma_3_4785_1.html

AJane is right, the Canadian government is helping to make staying home a bit easier. I could not work and make the same amount I do with the different benefits (CTC, OCCS and now Harpers addition), plus I'm home with the kids while they are young.

Sometimes it is hard though, when you have next to no money. Sometimes I feel bad that hubby is making all the dough and keeping us afloat. But he does remind me that I am doing the hardest job of both of us, staying home.

I was thinking of re-entering the work force soon. I did want to wait till they were both in school, which is a couple years away, but it has been awhile since I've had a much needed break from the little ones. When that happens the only thing I can think of is going back to work, getting a break and making some money. But after reading the posts here, I am reminded why I want to stay home, why it's important, and that it is only a very short time that they are little.
    ---------------------
    opps....

For any of your ladies who want to stay at home with your kids, and need a little extra help, I'd like to call your attention to Angel Food Ministries. They have a website that you might like to check out. Three months ago I signed up, for my son, and it has been such a help to him. He and his little kid get enough groceries to help out a lot, for only $25. There is no questioning, just name, address and phone number. Anyone is eligible, income not a factor. If anyone has questions, ask here, or pm me. I will share what I know. You can read the menu at the website but if you love in California there is a separate menu, so be sure to notice that.

www.angelfoodministeries.com

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhippetcrazy View Post
    But he does remind me that I am doing the hardest job of both of us, staying home.
    Exactly! What a gem of a husband you have who realizes that!

Just to reiterate, I don't have any kids (but am hopeful that I will one day) but having babysat my nieces and nephews and my friends kids, it is sooooooooooooooo hard. They're awfully cute, but keeping them entertained and making sure they're not getting into things they shouldn't is exhausting.

AJane, I'm convinced the U.S. government really hates babies and women. And employers aren't much better. At my last job, the managers made it their raison d'etre to make one working mom's life hell and wouldn't let her go home when her child was sent home sick from school with strep throat. (she was divorced, had no family nearby and was screwed if her babysitter didn't show up) This woman was very good and diligent so she could've finished her work from home that evening and not missed a beat but they didn't want her "working from home."

Rosie, I can understand your frustration. I lived at home for a few years after college. Everyone assumed I was mooching off my parents, because that's what they would've done if they lived at home for some reason. I actually made sure I didn't take advantage of my parents, by paying a decent "rent," contributing to the grocery bill and utilities etc. and making sure I kept up on my end of taking care of the house so that I wasn't a burden to my aging parents. And when I bought my first car, it wasn't for me, but for my parents (who had let me use theirs anytime I needed it for a long time). People say stupid things because they're thoughtless and don't know any better.

Thanks for that link, Muduh. Just in case anyone can't find it, it should be .org, not .com. But I just spent 20 minutes reading their site, and what a great program.

Giz, you seemed to have resolved your coffee shop dilemma so I hope you don't mind if I stay off topic. I get a bit jealous when my sister-in-law talks about the expectations on women where she grew up (Scotland). Education is free, so advanced degrees are common. Women can go as far in the education system as they care to. She says that it's standard practice for women to leave their jobs when they have a child and stay home for the first five years - that's the norm. After that, some return to their former jobs with no stigma for having left the workforce for five years. Also, she says women that don't go back to work don't get seen as having stayed home because they were too uneducated to work or anything like that, it's just another choice. I don't know how rosy it all is, but that's worlds away from my experience.

I think most moms have met people who say thoughtless things on both side of the fence. My favorite are the people who seem surprised that I would stay home to care for my daughter even though I only have one child. I have another acquaintance who makes sure to emote every time I see her that she wishes she could be as lucky as me to stay home with her two girls, but she can't afford to quit her job. Guess what she drives? A brand-new jaguar. But this is also a woman who has told me that she doesn't believe in saying "no" to her children. I think these kids are better off spending the day with their caretaker, who is actually caring for them instead of catering to their every whim, than to be with mom who can't bear to see her babies unhappy.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hep, I guess I'm going to be off-topic too because I agree that there is some stigma attached to being a stay at home mom, but on the other hand there is also a stigma attached to moms who go back to work and leave their babies with a caregiver.

I went back to work part time - about 12 hours a week - when my son was three months old. There were many times over the years that I would've liked staying home with my children, but since their dad and I divorced I couldn't afford it.

What I don't agree with are mothers who have three or four children by different fathers and rely on the welfare system to support them. I work for the state and used to administer welfare, and I just don't understand the mindset that says it's okay to let the state support you so you can stay at home. There are supports in place (grants, loans, day care programs) so that a single mom can go to school to better herself and provide a better life for her child. I understand and agree that it's important for mothers to be at home with their children, but if they're living in poverty (and a life on welfare is definitely a life of poverty) I think they owe it to their children to make an attempt to provide a good life for them. Soo, that's my little observation: It's okay to stay at home and cut corners so long as your children have clothes on their backs and food on their plates. If you've thought out your options and it works for you, great, but if you are using your children as a means to not be a productive member of society, that's just wrong, and damaging to your children in the long run.

To tie this in with the topic, I think it's okay and desireable to stay at home with your children when they are very young as long as you have long term goals in place. And there should be no stigma attached to whatever work you are able to do to provide a living for them. If you need help that's okay, but let it be a hand up instead of a hand out.

Wait a minute, that didn't really tie into the topic. Giz, I think the coffeeshop venture would be risky and the chances of payoff small if you haven't researched it thoroughly and don't have the adequate resources (time, money, experience) to fund it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

To me, stay at home parents need a working member. Either the husband or wife needs to be employed. I'm all for staying at home as long as I'm not expected to pay your bills. And I agree with the feeling that if one drives a Jag, they could probably stay at home if that was their choice.

Now, all you stay at home Mom's, let's meet at the coffee shop and see if we think it would be a good deal for Giz.

I'm still getting the Angel Food site at .com, by the way.

Maybe we should rename this thread "Coffee Shop and Working vs SaHM Talk".

I couldn't get the Angel Food site to work in Firefox, but it seemed to work fine in Internet Explorer. What a great idea they have! I bet they help a lot of families with that project.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    For any of your ladies who want to stay at home with your kids, and need a little extra help, I'd like to call your attention to Angel Food Ministries. They have a website that you might like to check out. Three months ago I signed up, for my son, and it has been such a help to him. He and his little kid get enough groceries to help out a lot, for only $25. There is no questioning, just name, address and phone number. Anyone is eligible, income not a factor. If anyone has questions, ask here, or pm me. I will share what I know. You can read the menu at the website but if you love in California there is a separate menu, so be sure to notice that.

www.angelfoodministeries.com
    I think it's misspelled - http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast