+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opening a coffee shop

I'm chiming in a little late on the discussion but wanted to add a few things. It sounds as if you've already made your decision but this may cement it in your mind.

My in-laws used to own their own restaurant that was only open for breakfast and lunch. They would have to get up at 4am to get there and get everything ready to open on time. They would normally work until 3 or 4 pm before coming home. Then once they were home there was always work after that they had to do. It was long hours. They also managed it only by themselves which contributed to their long long hours. They always enjoyed it but never took vacations or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    With all due respect, if I hired an individual to clean my house and they sent in some subcontractor, I wouldn't hire them again. It would be different if I were going through an agency, where I knew I'd be getting one of however many different people, but if I specifically hired one person working for him/herself and they didn't show up while still pocketing 60% of the pay, they'd lose my business. And I doubt I'm alone.
    I thought of that, too, and was going to suggest that she hire an assistant who was always with her, but not in some house alone. One of my neighbors used to clean houses in order to pay for her daughters private school. She and her best friend worked together. Once they got things straight they could clean three houses in a long day. They cleaned four apartments in a day. She said that they rotated the chores, like one did the bathroom and kitchen in #1 and the other did them in #2 house. They split the money, but if you hired someone you would pay less and come out better.

giz
    I just do one house a day, Mudah. It's pretty tiring work, and I don't take breaks, it's just flat out cleaning. It takes me an average of 2 1/2 hours. Most houses they don't want me to do bedrooms (though one guy has me change his bed, he's really rich and only has one set of sheets!). I'd rather hire someone than split the cost, have them do the yucky stuff. That would be only if I didn't get the Uni job in the autumn though. Ideally I want less not more cleaning stuff.

MRD
    Giz, its all about how you market yourself. Don't tell people you clean for a living. Tell them "I own a professional home cleaning service". You do, but they don't have to know you are the only employee.

I used to have people discount me when I said I was a stay at home mom.

So I would tell people: I'm in childcare and domestic organization. Yeah, my own child and my own home, but the idiots would nod sagely like they understood instead of staring past me when they found out I was "just a stay at home mom". Like I had no brain or intelligence of any kind doing that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

giz
    You are brilliant! I don't know why it matters to me, it shouldn't, but it grates a little.

I was just talking to a friend about how I'd seen another friend's mum out shopping (she's about 70) and I felt a little envious of her. When she raised her kids no-one thought she was pulling a fast one, doing nothing while her husband did all the work. My (sort of ex) husband has called me a parasite (then tried to take it back) and a woman friend of mine (lawyer with domestics and 2 kids) said she doesn't think that getting married is an excuse to "do nothing and sit back like a geisha". Very few people value what we do, or understand what it involves. Which is a real shame, cause if you ask me there's no work more important than raising your kids and giving your family a nice home environment.

Rant over.

MRD
    Sitting back like a Geisha??? If ONLY. I worked harder at home with no time off, no sick days, no vacation days, etc. I worked from 6 a.m until 9 or 10 pm and then was on call from 10 pm until 6 a.m. EACH AND EVERY DAY. 24/7 for YEARS!!!!!!!!

I cleaned, I budgeted, I cooked, did laundry, entertained and taught the child. I paid bills, I chauffered, I did doctor duty. Yeah, that is sure sitting back like a Geisha isn't it???

As a favor, I babysat a 2 month old infant for the wife of our associate pastor who worked at a bank. As she picked up the kid, she says to me: It's a good thing you never finished your degree as you'd just be wasting it staying home. EXCUSE ME???? Number one, I never told her I didn't finish college, so someone else did and number two? I don't care if I had had a double masters and a PhD, I would have stayed home. To me, there was no other job as important as what I was doing. I was so stunned, I couldn't say anything, but how I wish I had said: "well looking at things your way, then maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant if you couldn't stay home with your child"

My best friend cannot stay home with her children. She is just not cut out for it, they drive her crazy. She works adn they are in school and daycare and on weekends, they do activities so she doesn't have to deal with them. This has gone on for years and she's even said to me: you've been so lucky to be able to stay home. I know I could never do it as I don't have the patience you have. At least it was a semi-compliment.

No, staying at home is not for everyone and its not always financially feasible either. We sacrificed a lot for me to stay home. We did not buy new cars, we did not go on vacations. I used cloth diapers and made babyfood. I wore maternity underwear with a safety pin in it for 2 years after the baby was born. But I did what I thought was important for my family. Everyone else makes their own choices on that and I am not condemning anyone for those choices, even tho I do get condemned for "stagnating" at home.

Life as a Geisha. I'd like to see that woman do it by herself with no maids and no nanny.

Yeah and I sat on the sofa watching Oprah while eating bon bons all day.

This has been the hardest job I've ever had AND the most rewarding and I did it for NO pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the payoff in having been there with my child through everything is better than money and I think I've managed to raise a very caring, intelligent, self reliant daughter. It's just that at 15, everything she's been taught has regressed to the back of her brain and I am confident that in a few years, it will work its way back to the forefront and she will be "normal" again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    If you want to capitalize on what you're doing now and greatly reduce the overhead, I'd start looking for some great women who you could pay $8-$10 per hour to clean more clients, and you bank roll the extra $15-$18.00. That way, you leave your work behind you, literally, at the customer's with sparkling homes; you have people working for YOU and increasing your income; you have NO store front to worry about; and no perishable products.
    Lots of people have meaningless, but "socially acceptable", paper pushing jobs where they yawn away the day surfing the net in a cubicle for twice that ammount of money doing "work" that could be done by a brainless dummy yet nobody keeps two thirds of what they make or would even consider such a thing...

Giz, I hope you find your direction. It makes a big difference in the world that there are people out there who "can't sleep" unless they pay their employees decently. As for the people who cringe when you mention what you do... I'm of the opinion that those kind of people are not worth the dirt under your heels. It's a big world full of people out there (6 billion or so), you could replace the ones who cringe with ones who would just say "cool" and wouldn't care what you did for a living.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    she doesn't think that getting married is an excuse to "do nothing and sit back like a geisha".
    WHAT A BITCH!!! First of all, that woman is a cultural idiot. If she knew anything about the actual job of a geisha, she'd know they're probably better educated than she is, as well as HAVING to be culturally aware and accomplished artists.

I think a lot of women who feel this way are jealous. They'd like to quit their jobs and have a man take care of them but they can't OR their husbands won't let them. I don't think there's anything wrong with WHATEVER choice a woman makes for her family, as long as the kids come first. My parents both had to work to make ends meet, but I was lucky enough to have older siblings who took care of me while my parents worked. I never felt neglected, but my mother to this day feels guilty about not having been able to stay home with me when I was in grammar school. Given the choice, she would've been there when I came home from classes.

Plenty of my friends have chosen to remain either single or they've married but decided not to have children. That's great for them 'cause they know they're not cut out to be parents. I have friends with masters degrees who quit their jobs when they had babies. They plan to re-enter the work force when their children get older--and they know that being out of the work force for a few years is going to put them at a disadvantage when they go back. My sister in law has a biology degree and worked in a lab till she had kids--people used to actually be shocked that a stay-at-home mom went to college much less had a degree. Two guys we know both have college degrees. Both were white collar office workers, hated their jobs and now work in their own contracting/construction businesses. People just assume they're yahoos with no education. Yeah, they can build your house and then do your taxes, too, idiots...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with WHATEVER choice a woman makes for her family, as long as the kids come first. .
    I don't think there is either, Lois. I think its sad when women beat each other up for their choices. Only the parents know what's right for their family. Staying home with your children is hard work and working while your children are with someone else is hard work. Either choice is like working two full time jobs. You either take care of your child and home all day or you work 8 hours and then come back to take care of you home and child until you go to bed. To say that someone isn't cut out for one because they do the other is unfair and insulting.

Personally, I intended to immediately return to work when I had my child. After I had her and was on maternity leave, I changed my mind for a variety of reasons. Now that she's started preschool, I'm looking to get back into the work force full time. To me, it always seemed strange when a mom continued to stay home after all the kids had started school. I just don't know what in the world I'd do all day. I could only clean for so long. Again, though, that's a personal choice and I'm sure that women in other families have their reasons for why they do that. Perhaps the demands of their households are more intense than what I can imagine. Which is my point, really. It's unfair to judge what's going on in someone else's household and why they make the decisions they make.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

giz
    Lois, you're right, I hadn't thought of it as demeaning to geishas! Maybe a sultan would have been a better choice for her to pick, given her intent. If I didn't have to work part-time I wouldn't. I can fill up my day just fine! Cooking, cleaning, doing errands, paying bills, sewing, doing the garden. I like taking care of the house, it suits me. It wouldn't suit some people, and that's fine for them. As everyone's said, we should not be judging each other for our choices. Courses for horses as my beastly husband says (sometimes he can be quite clever in his lucid moments!).

MyRosie, this has pushed your buttons! We've certainly gone without with me staying at home. It always burned me up that in Canada you get a tax deduction for putting your kids in daycare, but no tax deduction for raising your own kids. So a couple with double incomes is even better off than we were because they have the tax deduction too. At least they've started giving stay at home mums pension credits. Plus if we divorce my husband will owe me half of his CPP (Canada Pension Plan) for the 14 years we were married! Hah, take that mid-life crisis guy!

When my kids were preschoolers people who worked were constantly phoning me up on pro-d days and even weekends expecting me to babysit and getting pissy if I said no, because I "wasn't doing anything anyway". I like my kids, and some of my kids' friends, but sometimes you don't want an extra kid. (I'd help out sometimes, but resented the implication that I should because I was there, like a mountain, and so was available).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast