+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Social Networks

Re: Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2549908;
    Thanks CA!
    I just added the causes application recently. The day I added it, it was filled with glitches (e.g., me not being able to access the causes I joined). But after that it works fine. I think with applications there may be issues when you first add them for the time you're online till you sign on again.

I've intended to sign up for them at times, but have never gotten around to it. One day I might. I have all the personal profile info on a page on my own site, anyways. I think I have one at like Friendster or something like that, but haven't touched it in years.

If I were a parent, though, I don't think I'd allow my kids to have pages on them, at least not public ones and not w/o strict supervision-- those places are known feeding ground for predators. A lot of these kids probably don't know how much at risk they are putting themselves. Even the ones thinking they are being safe might not know how much info creeps can get ahold of and how much they can do with just a little. Though I think it has to be combined with other steps that are just as important, such as taking the computers out of kids' rooms, putting the ones they use in a easy-to-view family area, and talking to friends' parents about the rules you want enforced for your kids. Haha, it is probably good I have no plans to have kids... I'm sure they'd hate me. Between the rules and not allowing stuff like cell phones most likely, I'd be the "worst mom in the world" I'm sure.

Anyways, I run a cartoon dollmaker site, a type of thing popular with a younger crowd, and it is hard to believe the amount of info some of these kids include in e-mails for requests and stuff for the site-- full name, age, location, ect. And I see the risk these kids put themselves at on public forums and such, begging for friends, volunteering personal info; they think they are savvy and internet-smart, but often aren't. It got to the point that I even put a "safety tips" page together for my site, but don't know if anyone will listen... Seeing what I have, I can't think that allowing kids profiles on social networking sites is a really great idea.
    Last edited by pakacat; 09-12-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;2570055;
    If I were a parent, though, I don't think I'd allow my kids to have pages on them, at least not public ones and not w/o strict supervision-- those places are known feeding ground for predators. A lot of these kids probably don't know how much at risk they are putting themselves. Even the ones thinking they are being safe might not know how much info creeps can get ahold of and how much they can do with just a little. Though I think it has to be combined with other steps that are just as important, such as taking the computers out of kids' rooms, putting the ones they use in a easy-to-view family area, and talking to friends' parents about the rules you want enforced for your kids. Haha, it is probably good I have no plans to have kids... I'm sure they'd hate me. Between the rules and not allowing stuff like cell phones most likely, I'd be the "worst mom in the world" I'm sure.
    I may be incredibly biased, but on Facebook, unless you are someone's friend ALL that you can see is their name, a profile photo, and then there are options to send a message to the person, and if you leave it unrestricted then someone can see who you are friends with.
    I have to say their immediate level of privacy far surpasses Myspace's. I also find though, that Facebook is more about connecting and maintaining connections with people you somehow already know. Not with those who you don't know. Like I said though, that may be a bias because I do really enjoy Facebook.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I have both Myspace and Facebook. I keep my Myspace set to private because I don't want a bunch of randoms looking me up. I, too, only add people I know. Facebook was a lot more fun when I was in college, now I don't get on it much. I've added a few of the applications (Superlatives is my favorite) and I haven't had any trouble with them.

Ginger- I'm not sure where to tell you to check for reality layouts. Myspace Total has some layouts or you can probably just Google what you are looking for.
    Wake up and be awesome

Well, I FINALLY signed up for a Facebook account... I'm so behind the times. I'm doing some searching and finding some friends I had fallen out of contact with; will have to contact them. Considering almost everything I put on my profile is already on my website, I'm not too worried.

Moving this up as someone was asking about it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2857454;
    Moving this up as someone was asking about it recently.
    I'm assuming you were talking about me. If so, thank you!

I have a Myspace and a Facebook. I think that Myspace over the years have gotten very good about privacy, and I believe that if you are 16 years of age or younger, you are on private until 18 years of age.
    I do have alot of friends, I love meeting new people and making new friends. I try and talk to all of my friends and if I don't then I delete them.
    I think Facebook has gotten kinda like Myspace because it does the status and I personally like Myspace better.

Feel free to add me to myspace, my link is on my profile I believe and if you wish to add me to facebook, message me!

I've deleted my myspace account. I much prefer facebook. I think there's a lot of applications and stuff, but I've chosen what I add/who I add and I think that it's a lot less about how many friends you have and more about connecting with those who are on your list.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Does anyone here who uses facebook absolutely HATE the new facebook layout?
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread