+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Social Networks

Re: Social Networks

My daughter is on ask. I can only give a parent's perspective - it's a simple concept but high potential for disaster, lots of inappropriate language and bullying, preying on self-esteem, and photos can be posted in answers but I don't think in questions (?). I don't think profiles can be made private, but you can block other users and you can adjust settings to not allow anonymous questions. Also, nothing posts to your page for others to see unless you respond to it. I think kids who grow up with this stuff don't discern the dangers easily because it's their normal.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 08-06-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    remember to play

I don't know if Pinterest qualifies as social media, but if you use it (I'm woefully addicted) and you send pins to your friends, they just changed how that works. It took my daughters and I a few days to figure out where our sent pins were going. It is now set up like Facebook messages. You scroll up to see past sent pins and you can comment without it going on the original pin. You're welcome!
    Count your blessings!

I have a Pinterest account, but I haven't done anything with it. I am bothered by the fact that you can't block someone. Basically, anyone can follow you on Pinterest, even people you don't know. Not long after I signed up, a man I didn't know started following me. I looked at his Pinterest and it was all pins of scantily-clad Asian women. Nothing else. It creeped me out. I went to find out how to block him and there's no way to do it. Maybe if they change that (maybe they have - I haven't looked in a while), I'll do something with my account.

Really though, I spend enough time on FB I don't need another social networking site to waste time on!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't understand... following someone doesn't put you in communication with them - that's why I wasn't even sure it counted as "social" network. Unless you choose to follow him, you won't even see his pins.
    I find it an incredible source of inspiration - especially this time of year when I'm trying to come up with new art projects for my students.
    Count your blessings!

But he can see MINE. That creeps me out. I don't want to have a stranger seeing anything I do. It's why I have my FB security pretty tight.
    ArchieComic Fan and Photobabe like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I mainly use Pinterest to store recipes I've found. I hate seeing a recipe on Facebook and then not being able to find it again. And it doesn't help to save it to your wall either because sometimes it just disappears. When I've put something on Pinterest it stays there.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I am completely addicted to facebook. I've reconnected with old friends and family members. And I'm hooked on the games. Farm Town is taking up all of my spare time. I haven't watched tv in about a month, since we moved our computer into a different room.

I am very interested in Pinterest but there's something very confusing about their layout. I find it hard to navigate. But when I google craft or party ideas usually pinterest has the best stuff.
    captain likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I'd love to help you with Pinterest if you want to ask any questions. I find it incredibly stimulating and always get great ideas there. Once you figure it out (and it took me a while!!! I wish I had had someone to give me pointers!) the connections between pins and boards can take you places you'd never think to go on your own. I find that pinning helps me clarify my own interests.
    Count your blessings!

Critical, there is now a way to block someone!! Click on his name/profile name and it takes you to a screen with a banner that has his name/info/etc above his pin boards. In the lower right corner of that "banner" is a little gray "flag". If you click on it, there are all sorts of options (nudity, spam, I just don't like this person (which cracked me up) hateful, etc) but on the bottom is "Block (person)" with a note that says If you block (person) you won't be able to follow each other, or interact with each other's pins." Don't let a creep keep you away from the time suck that is Pinterest
    Gutmutter likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread