+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Social Networks

Re: Social Networks

I haven't set up categories like that, but I may have to. I don't want to offend this woman because she could help my business, but I don't feel comfortable letting her know every little thing I post.

I'm really selective about the friendship requests I approve. If we went to school together, I may or may not approve it. My litmus test is whether you would know me if you ran into me at the bank. There are plenty of people on FB looking to amass huge lists of friends just because it makes them feel popular, but they don't actually know most of them. That's just not my thing. I've gotten requests from people who I was pretty sure only sent me one because we went to the same h.s. I've had to get out my yearbooks to confirm that, no, I have no idea who that person is!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I haven't set up categories like that, but I may have to. I don't want to offend this woman because she could help my business, but I don't feel comfortable letting her know every little thing I post.
    Are you on Linked In? It sounds like she would make a good contact there instead.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Linked In just doesn't interest me and, in this case, probably wouldn't be useful. My business isn't really the kind where I'd find a lot of connections on Linked In. Plus, that's one more account to keep track of. UGH.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

If you email with her, any chance you could send her an email and explain? I actually had to do that a few times. I got a friend request and immediately sent the person an email basically saying "I got your facebook request and while I am flattered, I only use facebook to post stories and pictures about my kids for family that lives out of state." Both times they were fine with that. What I have discovered over the years is that different people use facebook for different reasons. Some actually use it to promote their business - and maybe she thinks you do and that's why she's trying to include you?

I use facebook much the same as it sounds like you do - I have less than 100 friends (gasp!!) and I only accept friend requests from people I actually know. It actually shocks me whether other people are amazed that I deny friend requests - "aren't you worried about offending them?" Uh, NO. If I'm not friends with them, why the heck would I care? Some seriously shock me - I think I mentioned this before, but I actually got a friend request from a woman who, the last time we saw each other in person, accused me of sleeping with her husband (I wasn't, I swear)! So you hate me in real life but you want access to my facebook page?
    Debb70 likes this.

I have a former friend who actually brags about how many FB friends she has. Mind you, she probably wouldn't know more than half of them if she ran into them on the street. If she meets someone, she tells them to friend her on FB. It's ridiculous. She does use FB more for business, which is fine, but then she brags about the thousands of "friends" she has, so obviously it's not just about business.

I haven't decided what to do about the friend request. I'll likely accept it and then block my posts so she can't see them. I don't know her well enough to gauge whether or not I might offend her by refusing the request (even with an explanation) and she's someone who could help my business down the line. I'm going to go with the path of least resistance and she won't ever know she's not seeing everything.

This is just a vent....

I have a friend on FB who includes hashtags in almost every post. I'm talking up to a DOZEN of them...on Facebook where they mean nothing. I can't say anything because she's family, but it annoys the snot out of me.

I have another friend whose Twitter and FB are linked, so when he posts to Twitter, the post also goes to his FB. In that case it shows that it came over from Twitter so, if there are hashtags, it makes sense.

I'm such a dinosaur, I don't even know what those hashtags mean. My computer doesn't even recognize it as a word.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm such a dinosaur, I don't even know what those hashtags mean. My computer doesn't even recognize it as a word.
    That might make us the stars in a new movie ... Jurassic FORT!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think hashtags are skin tags you get from eating too much corned beef hash. Lay off the high-fat diner food and you'll be ok!
    Newfherder likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think hashtags are skin tags you get from eating too much corned beef hash. Lay off the high-fat diner food and you'll be ok!
    So technically hashtags are pound signs meaning you'll also put on weight if you eat too much corned bed hash?
    pikachu, Hyper and Miss Scarlet like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread