+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Social Networks

Re: Social Networks

I joined Facebook because of my 20 year coming up, it is how our class is keeping in touch. I actually like it. I have connected with a bunch of people I haven't heard from in years.

MRD

OK, I have fallen victim to some of the "gifts" especially Southern Stuff which is just too funny.
    And I got involved in that 25 random things about you.

But being able to reconnect with friends that live far away (one old HS friend is in Alaska) has been great. I've really enjoyed hearing what they are up too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I got a facebook page a few months ago because the museum got one and we were all trying to support it. Now, everyone I've ever known in my life has found me on facebook. I have heard from people I went to high school with and even one from Jr. High. It's been interesting. Some I never wanted to hear from again, others have had a good time getting caught up. BUT the funniest are the people I knew in high school that found me (I have never searched for anyone, they have all found me) who tell me what they've been doing the past 30 years and one has been married 4 times and has 3 kids, each with a different father and then told me who she was married to now and he's the biggest skank. Was in HS and was the last time I saw him about 4 years ago. I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd put out there some of the "sordid" details that some of them have.
    Then there is one that was SO cool in HS and now is anti-gay, anti-gun control, anti-liberal, anti anything really and is really rabid about it. Which is fine, but don't send me all that crap. I mentioned him to another old friend and they said that he was arrested for arson, but they dropped the charges as they didn't have enough proof.
    It's been a fun social experiment though. Weird to hear from people I never thought I'd speak too again, weird to hear some of their stories, but also good to catch up and it's fun to comment on peoples stuff from time to time.

Anyone else have the issues with long lost friends and their weird stories on facebook?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Several members of my family insisted I open a Facebook account, my extended family shares photos and such, and I figured it would be a good way to keep an eye on my kids (they are 25 and 30) and their antics. Now there is only one person in the world who I would rather avoid. He just happens to be my most recent ex-husband. Otherwise, I'm pretty open. I moved away from the city where we lived - twice. I wouldn't give him my address, phone number or any other information about myself. I blocked him from my email account.

However, as I set up my Facebook page, and before I had all my privacy settings in place, etc., guess who found me? Within like an hour! Yep. I don't think he's dangerous in a serial killer way, but he's just super creepy and I don't trust him as far as I can throw an elephant. I immediately deleted my Facebook and sent emails to everyone telling them the situation. They were all fine with it (they had met him, and apparently agreed with my opinion of him). I don't know how he found me so quickly! He must have been looking for me like every day for the last five years. Creepy.

So yeah, I'm staying away from Facebook. My girls still have accounts, but there's not a lot I can do about that. I did warn them to watch out for the ex, and his known aliases, as well as any of his creepy antics.

I'm sure this isn't a common situation, but obviously it does happen. As they say - be careful out there.

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

I've had nothing but good experiences when I've done internet dating (back when I was dating, which I'm not any more), and I guess that's a type of social networking. I admit you do have to be careful though.

I've had people look me up on social networking sites, but they've never been mean. It seems to me that people are genuinely interested in just chatting, keeping in touch, whatever.

However, I think we give a lot of valuable information to social networking sites, like joining interest groups and making our likes and preferences known--that is VALUABLE marketing information (as anyone who's ever had any marketing training can confirm). And we don't get a dime for providing this valuable information.
    Last edited by NickNack77; 05-22-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

JD, your ex must have a lojack on your net whereabouts. NO matter what it is, it's not good since you obviously don't want anything to do with him.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3463866;
    Several members of my family insisted I open a Facebook account, my extended family shares photos and such, and I figured it would be a good way to keep an eye on my kids (they are 25 and 30) and their antics. Now there is only one person in the world who I would rather avoid. He just happens to be my most recent ex-husband. Otherwise, I'm pretty open. I moved away from the city where we lived - twice. I wouldn't give him my address, phone number or any other information about myself. I blocked him from my email account.

However, as I set up my Facebook page, and before I had all my privacy settings in place, etc., guess who found me? Within like an hour! Yep. I don't think he's dangerous in a serial killer way, but he's just super creepy and I don't trust him as far as I can throw an elephant. I immediately deleted my Facebook and sent emails to everyone telling them the situation. They were all fine with it (they had met him, and apparently agreed with my opinion of him). I don't know how he found me so quickly! He must have been looking for me like every day for the last five years. Creepy.

So yeah, I'm staying away from Facebook. My girls still have accounts, but there's not a lot I can do about that. I did warn them to watch out for the ex, and his known aliases, as well as any of his creepy antics.

I'm sure this isn't a common situation, but obviously it does happen. As they say - be careful out there.

Actually, the situation is a common one. The Internet brings us a lot closer but, often times, to those we don't want or choose to be close to.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3463866;

From what I know about Facebook, if a person has emailed you from their facebook, and you haven't set one up yet, the minute you do (using that email address), Facebook sends them an email saying, your friends so and so has a Facebook, do you want to friend them. Or something like that.

I had invited a few friends via email and one just joined today. I am sure it was within an hour or so of setting up that I got an email about it. I went to her wall, and she responded, my emails are going crazy. Lots of folks see who their friends just friend and it is a ripple effect of friend requests. If you want to try it again, use a different email and name, then set up the privacy settings, then let your immediate family know via messages.

Good luck.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It occurs to me that I left out the fact that I have met many people on line - met them in person and have not had a negative experience. (I met the ex-husband at work.) Especially the members here - every one I have met is wonderful and pretty much like they portray themselves on line. A fine bunch of people!

I've decided that it's just not worth the aggravation of having to look over my shoulder just to have a facebook account - so keep me informed if something exciting happens! Oh wait - I'm sure that something would involve one of my daughters and I may not like what I hear. She actually posted a picture of herself drinking a mojito (sp?) and smoking a cigar. Every mother's dream.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I have been real hesitant about going to facebook, but we are approaching our 35th reunion and I think I'd like to get back in touch w/a few people. I have my small group of 6 that kept in touch all these years, but I almost think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

+ Reply to Thread